Trying to find Ballast Box

OrangeHiC

Equipment
BX1880, 54” Deck, LA344
Feb 27, 2021
Moore, Oklahoma
Hi everyone
I will give a little background before i ask my question. I bought a BX1500, 48” deck and FEL LA201 back in 2005 and absolutely loved the little machine. It had 505 hrs on it as I mainly used it for a mowing machine and snow removal on my drive (and several neighbors 😀) I never used a ballast box with it. Never had a issue with it in my 15yrs of owning it.
Well, I had a weak moment and saw the 0% interest again so I wound up trading in the little BX and getting a new BX1880 54” deck and FEL.
I love the BX1880 but I have to get used to the differences between the two. I will drive and operate it daily so when I do my first mow, I dont take out the fence LOL.

Ok on with the questions
I want to buy a ballast box and put bags of concrete in it. My problem is I want to buy one in town and can’t seam to find one anywhere. Kubota seams to have quit making them. My dealer cant find one and I called Kubota and they haven’t gotten back with me yet.

What are your recommendation on type and brands? Thanks!

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL

Bought mine off amazon, wasn't QH compatible had to mod it.
20200304_130040.jpg

you may want to consider where to park it when using other 3pt implements. Can be as simple as 4x4's with tree behind them or build a stand.
20200705_134456.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeHiC

Equipment
BX1880, 54” Deck, LA344
Feb 27, 2021
Moore, Oklahoma

Bought mine off amazon, wasn't QH compatible had to mod it.
View attachment 55613
you may want to consider where to park it when using other 3pt implements. Can be as simple as 4x4's with tree behind them or build a stand.
View attachment 55614
Nice! I dont have quick hitch but I’m thinking about getting one

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
assuming it has a 3PH, buy /make a 'carryall', toss weight onto a skid,use carryall to lift skid of weight. this 'system' make it EASY to pickup the ballast as needed, even have 2 skids , light and heavy, choose what you need for the job....

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
assuming it has a 3PH, buy /make a 'carryall', toss weight onto a skid,use carryall to lift skid of weight. this 'system' make it EASY to pickup the ballast as needed, even have 2 skids , light and heavy, choose what you need for the job....
Yep... a carry-all is more useful in more ways than simply as ballast.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Made one of these also, maybe some I'll figure out a use for it.:unsure:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I picked mine on Ebay:
Ballast Box

It shipped from NJ and I had it in 2 days. Other than the pins were undersized and I had to change them (lowers) it is very well constructed.

I filled it with concrete (7 80lb bags) and made a frame to go in it with a lifting lug.
frame bolted into box.jpg

ballast box filled 9 60lb bags concrete.jpg

OrangeHiC

Equipment
BX1880, 54” Deck, LA344
Feb 27, 2021
Moore, Oklahoma
I like the carryall idea and I am starting to lean toward the ballast box with the door for emptying.
I could use it for a small dump truck if needed LOL.

Tyler_LaRue

Equipment
B1700HSD, L4740 HSTC
Sep 25, 2020
Ohio
I built a black 35 gal drum filled with concrete (500lbs) with a drawbar slipped through. Dropped pvc pipe in it for shovel handles and sunk two plastic ammo cans in the concrete before it dried for tool storage and straps. Works really well. Had the same thing on my larger tractor for years never had an issue. About $50 all in.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I like a nice compact rear ballast box, I use bags of gravel in one of these

El Jefe

Equipment
B2401
May 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
I also picked up one of the $250 ballast boxes from ebay. I wanted something more compact than a caryall since I often bring my tractor into tight areas including my workshop where I park it. This is compact enough so that its always on the tractor unless I'm using a different 3ph implement. When I'm not using it I set it down on a furniture dolly ($15 harbor freight) so I can wheel it around the shop and easily align to my 3ph. I like that this box has a 2" receiver and tool holders. I made a chainsaw holder out of a slab of wood and added 450 lbs of sand leaving enough room on top to hold gloves, chains, small hand tools, etc. Only two complaints, the door fits loosely and I had to seal it with silicone to hold the sand and the 3ph pins were undersized but otherwise its great. I figure its 550lbs and when I max out the loader (B2401) I need still need a couple hundred more pounds set on top to keep the back wheels down but its easy enough to throw a few bags of sand or concrete on top of the box. Overall its great and I wish I would have bought a ballast box sooner.

Attachments

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I also picked up one of the $250 ballast boxes from ebay. I wanted something more compact than a caryall since I often bring my tractor into tight areas including my workshop where I park it. This is compact enough so that its always on the tractor unless I'm using a different 3ph implement. When I'm not using it I set it down on a furniture dolly ($15 harbor freight) so I can wheel it around the shop and easily align to my 3ph. I like that this box has a 2" receiver and tool holders. I made a chainsaw holder out of a slab of wood and added 450 lbs of sand leaving enough room on top to hold gloves, chains, small hand tools, etc. Only two complaints, the door fits loosely and I had to seal it with silicone to hold the sand and the 3ph pins were undersized but otherwise its great. I figure its 550lbs and when I max out the loader (B2401) I need still need a couple hundred more pounds set on top to keep the back wheels down but its easy enough to throw a few bags of sand or concrete on top of the box. Overall its great and I wish I would have bought a ballast box sooner.
I like your chain saw idea, as I filled mine with bags of gravel, I might just lift them out and insert something similar to carry a chain saw, then put my bags of gravel back in. Like you I have a dolly onto which I unload the ballast box, makes it real easy to store and then to reinstall back on my tractor. For $250 delivered they are great value even if you have to replace the pins, I purchased from Titan several years ago, their pins were good.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I wanted it as small and heavy as possible. I used lead. It weighs just over 800lb but all it does is sit there being heavy. I can load it under or behind the QH.

ballast.jpg

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
I picked mine on Ebay:
Ballast Box

It shipped from NJ and I had it in 2 days. Other than the pins were undersized and I had to change them (lowers) it is very well constructed.

I filled it with concrete (7 80lb bags) and made a frame to go in it with a lifting lug.
View attachment 55624

View attachment 55625
Have been trying to find one of those Ebay boxes here in Canada. Either they don't ship to Canada, or the cost of shipping is literally more than the item. I’ve seen shipping costs as high as 250 dollars. Makes me crazy. Even all that Titan stuff - nobody ships to Canada. Those carry-alls you guy get for 150-200 at TSC....they’re over 400 here IF you can find one.

Fastball

Equipment
Feb 9, 2017
Made one of these also, maybe some I'll figure out a use for it.:unsure:
Do you have an idea how thick that angle iron is on the carry all? Since I cannot find one for sale for nor money, I’m thinking of fabbing one up. Would 1/4 inch be enough? Is 3/8” overkill? My L2900‘s 3-point lift capacity is just over 2000 pounds behind (not at) the pins.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Do you have an idea how thick that angle iron is on the carry all? Since I cannot find one for sale for nor money, I’m thinking of fabbing one up. Would 1/4 inch be enough? Is 3/8” overkill? My L2900‘s 3-point lift capacity is just over 2000 pounds behind (not at) the pins.
I'm positive tarter makes the carry all for TSC mine is 1/4" thick 3inch angle iron.

Fastball

Equipment
Feb 9, 2017

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I am cheap. So, I got a 2 inch trailer hitch receiver:

To use with a subsoiler ripper:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Atta...501933&hash=item4457067e36:g:FK8AAOSw1ZpgCvTu

And for ballast I use a 2 inch small car cargo carrier and four blocks of concrete:

IMG_20200926_121416641_HDR.jpg