Trying to decide on wheel spacers width

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
L3800, 66" QA bucket, R4 tires. 60" RC and 72" FM

I want to get wheel spacers to make the tractor more stable for mowing along slopes. Choices I see (that aren't too expensive) are 2", 2.5" and 3" spacers for each side.

From what I've read my tractor should be right at 60" wide at the rear tires (58-59 I've read). With the bucket being 66", I am leaning to going with 3" spacers putting the rear around 66" wide as well.

Would 3" (6" total on the rear) be too wide and hard on the axle? Would it be better to have the rear tires a little narrower than the bucket? Should I go with smaller spacers, say 2.5" or even drop down to the 2"?

I am thinking I'd like to go with the 3" and make it as wide as I can but don't want to hurt the tractor and maybe there are disadvantages that I dont know about with going that wide?

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I went with 2-1/2" spacers and am very satisfied. I want the rear end to be no wider than the FEL bucket. Hill side stability is impressive. As Mr Murphy said, don't worry about the rear axle. Fill the rear tires.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I ended up ordering 3" spacers from MotosportTech. Should have them in about 2 weeks hopefully. I'll post pics and thoughts when I get them.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Being a complete novice tractor owner. I have never heard of wheel spacers. I like the idea because of the stability factor on the hills. Have others used them here? Is the tire and wheel removed and the spacers with longer bolts/lugs added ?

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Yea, the rear wheel comes off and the spacer bolts to the hub, then the wheel bolts to the spacer. Guys with R1 AG tires/wheels can widen their wheels out but those of us with R4 tires/wheels have to go the spacer route, not that there's anything bad about that besides having to buy them.

Hill stability is the reason I decided to get them and they are reported to make a big difference.

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/tractor/kubota_s

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
SO...with the Ag tires. The tires are removed , the rims are flipped over ??Tires remounted and because of the offset in the rim it sets the tire out farther ? Or am I wrong. The wheels currently are mounted with the deepest part of the wheel in allowing for wheel weights to be bolted on. So in my mind, flipping the wheel would bring the tires in closer together.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The tires don't come off the rims. The tire and wheel assy are removed, spacers are installed on the tractor, tires and wheel assy are reinstalled on spacers and tire and wheel assy are now further away from the tractor center line,, wider track.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Yes ...BUT Number9 says that thoses with Ag tires can widen there track without spacers. SO how is it done??

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
On ag tire/rim combinations you normally can un-bolt the wheel center from the rim and turn it around and/or move it from the inside to the outside of the bolt lug on the rim, or both, to change the width. On my M4500 you can get 7 different widths that way, ranging from just over 51 to 74 inches.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Ok I've got it figured out, the wheel rim unbolts from the wheel center. There is a 'Z' offset on the wheel rim , the offset is welded off center on the wheel. Unbolt the wheel leaving the center on the tractor. Roll the wheel to the opposite side of the tractor, rebolt the wheel using the 'Z' offset outer holes. (repeat other wheel). By using the outer hole, I'm guessing it should widen the wheels 4-6" . The front wheels are 'dished' just swapping sides will widen the front. This weekend I'll tackle it.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Swapping the front wheels puts a terrific strain on the front end and steering mechanism. I tried it twice on my old L185DT with manual steering, and nearly broke my wrists in clumpy ground, both times. Power steering might lessen the strain at the steering wheel, but will not reduce it on the steering mechanism and axles. The axial lines of the steering mechanisms point at the ground roughly at the center of the tires. Steering the tractor is a matter of pivoting the front tire about the center of its tread.
Swapping the front wheels widens the front end a LOT - about 4" a tire on my L185 or L3200. Steering then becomes a matter of forcing the tire to move in an arc, which is a terrific strain on the mechanism.
So, I wouldn't do the front end...
I think thetrackscompany.com is offering front end spacers at 1-1/2", which might be a reasonable compromise, although expensive.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The owners manual say 'absolutey' do not, swap the front rims around. So now I know why.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I agreee with gpruess. I swapped my front ones on an L235 just because I was mowing a steep hill. Extremly hard on the wrist and hands. I swapped them back to normal after I finished the hill.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
As a Mainiac you will be encountering snow. Your power steering is "power assist". Often when I would get off the tractor to adjust the rear blade the packed snow under the front tires would freeze. I'd get back on the tractor and try to steer, but couldn't until I started moving. If it happens to you, don't worry about it!
Just a "heads up!"

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Got the spacers yesterday. They look very good. Wish I would have thought to put a coat of paint on the OD of them while I was finishing up the LED light install on the tractor yesterday. I'm gonna try and get them put on today if I have time. I'll post some pics when I do.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
So I didn't get a pic of the spacers out of the box, but they are finished aluminum and look great, but.....they're shiny and I didn't want them to add "bling" to my tractor :p So I hit them with a coat of Kubota Grey spray paint, which I need to touch up after scratching it off putting the wheels back on :mad:

This pic is the LH side stock and RH side with spacer. It doesn't look much different in the pic, but it is in person for sure. I wish I'd got more pics but I will next time I get the tractor out and wash it.

I drove the tractor across the slope that runs down to my pond and it felt just fine. Now, having said that, this was just the bare tractor, no FEL or implement on the back. I'd only tried it before with the finish mower on the back while cutting grass and it didn't feel good at all and I'd never made it all the way across without pegging the pucker meter and changing to backing up and down the hill. I'll mow grass in a few days and see how it feels with the mowing deck on the back. I'm really hoping it's fine and I'm able to mow along the slope, backing up and down the whole bank takes a lot longer time to mow than it should.