Trouble shooting over the inter web

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
OK, I know this is a long shot but with all the Orange experience on this forum, it couldn't hurt to ask. I cranked the tractor today and heard this loud screeching sound. I am very hard of hearing so direction of sounds don't work for me. My 1st thoughts are throw out bearing assuming an HST has a traditional clutch or something in the fan set up. When I purchased the tractor the previous owner stated he had just replaced a bearing behind the fan and that was the second time he had done so. The sound was really loud and it was similar to a really loose fan belt but more metallic. It is intermittent so to duplicate may be difficult. What are your thoughts, hazard a guess it may help me narrow it down.
Thanks in advance

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not a long shot at all, we do it here everyday at your friendly OTT! :D

The bearing behind the fan is the Dynamo, and that is probably where I would be looking also check the idler pulley, Inspect the belt and look for slipping or burning marks.
take the belt of and spin the fan if it feels even slightly rough, draggy, or hesitant at any point, rebuild or in this case being it sounds like it's been rebuilt several times, replace.
Now if everything up front looks and feels problem free, the other 3 common causes are Throwout bearing, pilot bearing (end of crank) and the union joint at the connection from the clutch shaft to the HST, all of which require you to split the tractor and replace parts, and if you do replace all of these parts Throwout bearing, Pilot bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate, and remove disassemble and inspect union joint!

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Boy do I feel stupid. My god awful noise was the hydraulic pump relief valve. My 3pt handle was stuck in the down position, how that happened not sure but kept trying to narrow down the cause and the noise would not vary with engine speed so that ruled out something connected to the crankshaft I thought and then I remembered once before had this issue looked at the 3pt and it was all the way down to the ground, raised it up noise quit. DUH!! NIW thanks for your insight really like this forum for a place to hash out issues and learn from the best.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for posting the answer, might save someone else some grief down the road.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I could be wrong, but there shouldn't be any hydraulic pressure on the 3 point in the down direction. I believe in the down direction the hydraulic fluid just drains from the 3 point piston back to the reservoir.

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
I could be wrong, but there shouldn't be any hydraulic pressure on the 3 point in the down direction. I believe in the down direction the hydraulic fluid just drains from the 3 point piston back to the reservoir.
Not sure exactly what the issue was but when I raised it the noise quit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you might need to do some adjustment to the feed back rod. ;)