trouble reading HST fluid on a dipstick

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
In the spectrum of issues I see on this board, mine is really simple but driving me nuts.

I just did my 800 hour service on my ZD331 mower and used SUDT. I bought it with 650 hours so the HST fluid had been changed once before me. It has this super shiny silver metal dipstick and the clear fluid very thin and totally invisible. I'm at least reading fluid on the dipstick as it forms a drop off the tip when I hold it up but have no idea how I'm supposed to read it.

Is there a way to tint it? Drop of red food color? I feel like an idiot, but figured I can't be the only one with this issue.

Steve

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I get the dipstick really dry before inserting to check, and then I have a little pocket flashlight so I can see the reflection of the fluid. Seems like I use that little flashlight more and more these days :rolleyes:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Some use a flame to darken the dipstick, I just slide my thumbnail down and you can easily find the oil level.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I grind the tip of the dipstick, up about an inch. Then wire brush it to remove burrs on edges. The ground surface is much easier to see the oil on...:D:D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I just lay mine on a clean paper towel and see where it gets wet.

Yes....something about Kubota and dip sticks you can't read.

I also find it odd on my B2620 that when I pull the hydro dip stick the first time it is completely dry, but once it is out and I out it back in it has oil to the full level.

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
You would think the engineers/designers
would be smart enough to use some colour other than yellow for the dipstick to measure a clear/yellow fluid.:confused:

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I also find it odd on my B2620 that when I pull the hydro dip stick the first time it is completely dry, but once it is out and I out it back in it has oil to the full level.
Mine is the same way I always think at first it needs fluid then checking it twice is always full.