Trenching

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
I have a L3540 and need to trench for water lines and drainage. I don't have a backhoe.
Is there an ingenious way to get this project done without renting a trencher or hiring it out?

huntfishquest.com

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
Let me
Ask
It this way:

I need to dig water lines and don't have a trencher or a backhoe but have a L3540.
Has anyone used their tractor without a 3pt trencher or backhoe to dig trenches?
If you have used your tractor to dig trenches without above states attachments, what attachment did you use?

huntfishquest.com

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
I think it depends on where you live and how deep the waterlines have to be be in line with the codes in your area. My area has a 5' deep requirement due to the winter temperatures.

I just ended up getting one of these for my area:

Attachments

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
You may be in for a challenge. I do not know the answer to your question for sure. I my have some ideas. But first some info on what your dealing with.

Soil type is sandy or rocky or full of roots ?

How deep do you need to be?

How wide of a trench ?

Any other info you can give might help others to give ideas.

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
Should have few roots. Some red clay not many roots/rocks where I need to go.
2 ft
6in at very most, can get by with 3in

huntfishquest.com

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Should have few roots. Some red clay not many roots/rocks where I need to go.
2 ft
6in at very most, can get by with 3in

huntfishquest.com
Pick up a subsoiler and drag it in, you should have no issue with that depth and if you get the adapter can pull the line in at the same time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't think you're going to pull a 3" line 2 1/2' into the ground with a sub-soiler... unless you have a D8. In that case renting a trencher might be about the same expense as fuel!

A sub-soiler will break up the soil to make it easier to dig though.

On this type of project you can try to improvise and save money. However, you start disrupting the ground and don't accomplish what you wanted in the first attempt, you now have to get the machine you needed in the first place to do it correctly. Or you have to relocate where you're burying the line because of the caved in trench that didn't work, and hope it works the second time.

Best to do it right the first time to save time, money and frustration.

Rent a trencher!

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
I don't think you're going to pull a 3" line 2 1/2' into the ground with a sub-soiler... unless you have a D8. In that case renting a trencher might be about the same expense as fuel!

A sub-soiler will break up the soil to make it easier to dig though.

On this type of project you can try to improvise and save money. However, you start disrupting the ground and don't accomplish what you wanted in the first attempt, you now have to get the machine you needed in the first place to do it correctly. Or you have to relocate where you're burying the line because of the caved in trench that didn't work, and hope it works the second time.

Best to do it right the first time to save time, money and frustration.

Rent a trencher!

What I was leaning toward....

huntfishquest.com

Tunaslayer

Equipment
L2501 TLB, Wheelhorse 417-8/414-8

I put in a 3/4" poly water line using a similar set up. I have a L2501 with loaded r4s. Never slipped or strained. Did the entire 200' at idle. They key is that you are not pulling the entire length of pipe through the "trench", you are cutting, and laying it in as you go. I think if you put 3" LONG radius elbow on the subsoiler, it would work nice. The size of the pipe has no bearing on how hard the tractor is pulling. Very key to not have a rocky rooted path. When you find a root, you have to pick up on the sub soiler to cut it. Rocks are another story. Another interesting note, I had no problem making turns(within reason). The feeder pipe can swivel off the back to help with this. The pipe on mine is a 2" regular radius electrical rigid 90. The hardest part is feeding the pipe. I threw my loader all the way up with the coil on the forks, and it uncoiled itself into the ground as I went. The TSC Chinese crap I bought is fine for the occasional job, but Rhino and others make a much better unit at a much higher price. As a side note, I own a brand new BH77 that I love using, but chose this option as it is much less invasive. After you lay the pipe, run over the earth zipper to zip it back together..real clean finish on sod, fast, and effective. Only down side is depth, can probably only get it down 24" on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looks to me like this is very soil dependent. Where NIW lives, you could probably go as deep as you wanted without much effort. Where my tractor lives, you couldn't 12" deep OR 12" in length without stopping the tractor dead. (from all the interlocked rock)