Tree work and pulling advice - rope or chain recommendations?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Someone mentioned using rigging to direct trees but not so much to pull them. After a couple of windy days this is the kind of mess we deal with hanging over the trails. They’ve both been hung there a month so they’re not coming down in their own. One is a dead pine hung in two other dead pines, the dead one has to be pulled toward a drop off too close to allow room for the tractor so a snatch block will be needed to reverse pull direction. No way I’m trying to cut my way out of this, but I will spend some time rigging it up and pull it all apart from a safe distance. We deal with this sort of stuff 4 to 5 times a year, mostly in the area where the hardwoods are taking over the pines. Sometimes it’s simpler than others.
A0274437-5297-4472-A3ED-2A0DC6F50BFD.jpeg
5453A8E0-EE78-4EED-AB8A-0FB5A6F13BFE.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I have had to deal with only a couple blow over "widow makers" like you show in the pictures.. Luckily I was able to handle them safely.. Filling in the hole behind the root ball with dirt will help minimize bounch back once strain is eased from the tree.. Block and tackle to help felling in a safe direction..

As far as skidding goes, I always lift only with the 3 point and pull with the draw bar.. It takes some extra time and effort to hook up, but is much safer than skidding with the 3 point up high.... Keep safe..

Reactions: 1 user

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Just to be clear, the synthetic winch line I use is dedicated to my jeep winch. It gets directed thru pulleys, doesn't really even touch the ground. No dirt, no nicks, very strong, very light, won't snap back and kill me or my equipment. I would not use it for dragging, only winching. For dragging, I use a shorter tow strap to attach to the tree, then chain connected to the draw bar on the tractor. There are usually plenty of large branches about to throw over the chain in several spots in case it snaps, if not I'll attach heavy snatch blocks with D rings to the chain to weigh it down.
With trees like the ones NCL posted, I would make a cut 8 or so feet from the root ball which gives a good lever to remove the stump. Then strap to the tree and drag till it's on the ground. Sometimes it's a puzzle to figure out what to cut and drag first when there is a cluster like that.

Reactions: 1 user