Tree puller on a B2650?

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Is it possible to use a tree puller on a B2650? Or is there just not enough lifting capacity to use one?

I have a bunch of overgrown pine and oaks in the 2"-8" diameter range that I'd like to clear out. There's an old trail/road that was cleared many years ago before I bought the place and now it's just overgrown with the new growth. Trying to come up with a way to tackle it that won't take me half my life to clear. I could chainsaw a bunch of it but I still have to content with the stumps. Likewise I have a toothbar which can handle some sections where I can drive it, but the intermingled larger trees won't let me just continue through with a toothbar. Thought maybe having something like a puller would work best to just yank anything that is too big for the toothbar, move it to the side and later grapple it away. I also thought about a brush cutter, but have the puncture issue with driving over the stubs later, so it would still require removing them. I'd imagine there are over 100 of trees that size to remove.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Clover13, having 100 Pine trees 2"-8" diameter and using a tree puller on a B2650 would be something I'd hire out.

I've had someone come in and clear acres of misc tree growth, many larger than 8" and some of the large ones were Bodark (hedge). He used a tree shear with a skid steer. He cut them off at ground level or lower (and sprayed the ones that would sprout again with chemical). He could cut 100 trees of that size in 2-3 hours easily (and have them stacked to burn)! And no problem with stumps. Ground is not disturbed.

I cut hay off that field the next year with a haybine which has sections that can break easily when hitting something hard. Broke 6 section in the whole field!

Point is: hire it out, save your time and tractor.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I have a piranha tooth bar and I can remove trees the size you described. I just take a few scoops to loosen up the roots on one side and just dump the dirt in the same spot. Then I just push it over. After pushing it over I have to work the roots a little more to get it completely out. Sometimes I can hook a bush or hardwood tree with my tooth bar and pull it our completely. It takes more practice then I have time for. Pine trees are too soft to hook them with the tooth bar. They peel to easy. Good luck with your project.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Back when was younger (and dumber) and living in Ohio on a 25 acre wooded lot, we heated the house with wood and I always skidded trees with a 1949 Internatiinal Farmall A. Had some interesting adventures but lived to tell about it.

You can skid lgs with about anything just don't expect to skid a entire tree at once because yiu don't have the tractive weight to accomplish that.

Be careful too.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Haha, I've seen that video! Made me cringe!

I could outsource the project, but guys around here charge A LOT. I literally got quoted $4000+ by two different guys to regrade my gravel driveway (500-600 ft). That's when I had enough and said I'm getting my own tractor to do that and more. Can't imagine what they'd charge to remove 100 trees...

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
I have a piranha tooth bar and I can remove trees the size you described. I just take a few scoops to loosen up the roots on one side and just dump the dirt in the same spot. Then I just push it over. After pushing it over I have to work the roots a little more to get it completely out. Sometimes I can hook a bush or hardwood tree with my tooth bar and pull it our completely. It takes more practice then I have time for. Pine trees are too soft to hook them with the tooth bar. They peel to easy. Good luck with your project.
I might just need some practice. I removed a few 2-4" pines pretty easily, but anything bigger I wasn't moving. The other thing is getting caught on larger pine roots from much bigger trees that are near the ones I want to remove. I caught one the other day and got the FEL stuck for a few seconds before I realized what the heck was going on. Another reason why I favored a puller to just grab the little tree I want to remove and yank it.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Back when was younger (and dumber) and living in Ohio on a 25 acre wooded lot, we heated the house with wood and I always skidded trees with a 1949 Internatiinal Farmall A. Had some interesting adventures but lived to tell about it.

You can skid lgs with about anything just don't expect to skid a entire tree at once because yiu don't have the tractive weight to accomplish that.

Be careful too.
Nothing too big, most of these trees are pretty small (6-8' tall). The bigger ones might be around 15' or so. Not saying they can't wallop you, but not like bringing down a BIG tree.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Have you considered renting a skid steer with a stumper/puller or maybe a mini ex? Mini ex I would get around 4 ton. Please dont tear up your front end loader arms with a tree stump puller.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Have you considered renting a skid steer with a stumper/puller or maybe a mini ex? Mini ex I would get around 4 ton. Please dont tear up your front end loader arms with a tree stump puller.
That too is an option and probably a better one. Just rent what I need go to town. I'll just need to plot it out to be efficient about it. Flag or spray what I want to take out. General consensus seems like the B2650 and maybe a tractor in general just isn't up to snuff for that kind of task (at least with a puller).

Firefox

Equipment
2650 hst cab,fel,72mmm,48lp forks,48 tiller,PeCo vac,wt box
Mar 15, 2018
Swanton ,Oh
Chainsaw would be quickest.Cut 2or 3 inches above ground,clear with that 2650 (grapple or forks),rent a stump grinder(walk behind)for one day. Good luck!!!

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon

This is my opinion as well. There’s hardly anything better for removing stumps than an excavator. 100 stumps probably wouldn’t take you very long to remove.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
That too is an option and probably a better one. Just rent what I need go to town. I'll just need to plot it out to be efficient about it. Flag or spray what I want to take out. General consensus seems like the B2650 and maybe a tractor in general just isn't up to snuff for that kind of task (at least with a puller).
Check on the rental price of a SS or Mini Ex. In my area, $250 delivered for the weekend. Fun to operate and you get to use up someone elses machine. Leave the M2650 for cleanup. You will also get done much faster.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've gotten to the point where when I cut a tree on the farm (and I have a boatload) like an ash (most of mine are deceased now), I cut them as high from the ground as possible (sometimes I use a ladder (I know that sounds dangerous and it is) and then I hitch up one of the M's to the stump and stub trunk and pop it like a cork out of the ground. Then the root ball gets set aside for a year or so until the dirt drys up and off to the burn pile it goes.

I realize a small tractor don't have the balls to do that but the M's do. Sure makes live easier for me.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I've gotten to the point where when I cut a tree on the farm (and I have a boatload) like an ash (most of mine are deceased now), I cut them as high from the ground as possible (sometimes I use a ladder (I know that sounds dangerous and it is) and then I hitch up one of the M's to the stump and stub trunk and pop it like a cork out of the ground. Then the root ball gets set aside for a year or so until the dirt drys up and off to the burn pile it goes.

I realize a small tractor don't have the balls to do that but the M's do. Sure makes live easier for me.
Cutting off a dead ash tree 12 feet above the ground on a ladder? I don't think it is the tractor with the balls!