Transmission overfilled

Annoying Orange

Equipment
B2100 HST
Jun 9, 2020
Colorado
Hello all. I am the proud new owner of a B2100 HST. Upon arriving home with my new baby I started checking her over and when I pulled the trans dipstick it overflowed with oil. I guess the previous owner thought the trans was like a differential. Pour oil in until it spills out the hole. That means its been driving around for who knows how long with a massively overfilled tranny. Is there any damage this could have done I should look for?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Look for the drain plug! Since the tractor is new to you, it's a good idea to drain all fluids and replace with correct fluid and amounts. Then after using the machine for a while, see if you detect any leaks from pressure on seals. I wouldn't worry, it hasn't been traveling 80 MPH and you have no idea how long the extra fluid was in there.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I agree. Since it is new to you, you also do not know what is in there nor how long it has been there. A complete fluid is in order if for no other reason, peace of mind. Enjoy!! ;)

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Hello all. I am the proud new owner of a B2100 HST. Upon arriving home with my new baby I started checking her over and when I pulled the trans dipstick it overflowed with oil. I guess the previous owner thought the trans was like a differential. Pour oil in until it spills out the hole. That means its been driving around for who knows how long with a massively overfilled tranny. Is there any damage this could have done I should look for?
Im with the others. I would factor in a full fluid/filter maintenance cost for any used equipment I purchased. Not only will this give you peace of mind that you have all the fluids right and properly filled, but it gives you a chance to look at the fluid and filters and perhaps make some guesses as to how it has been cared for. For example - what if you drained all the hydraulic fluid and a ball of metal shavings came out with the oil - that would be a good thing to be aware of. Or, as you saw in your case, the tranny was way over filled. Also, what oil is in the engine? did they just use some cheap stuff knowing it was gonna be sold soon? So many good reasons to do a full maintenance on a used piece of equipment as soon as you buy it. even if the seller claims they just did a maintenance I would still do my own.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Who knows what the heck was in there, start fresh, drain all fluids & replace filters.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My comment is only addressed toward what is seen on a dipstick when first pulled for observation:
I have seen this on numerous occasions,... the need to pull the dipstick... WIPE IT CLEAN... then RE-INSERT it and obtain a fresh new reading. Oil can climb a dipstick due to capillary-action, and atmospheric pressure changes (barometer changes from day to day) can cause oil to climb or DESCEND a dipstick and give erroneous readings. (I have a reliable/repeatable example on my Yamaha F150 outboard, where if I simply pull the dipstick... it has NO OIL on it at all! Then, wiping and re-inserting it, the dipstick will read FULL. This is due (perhaps) to the engine cooling (contracting) after leaving the lake and SUCKING atmosphere into the sump via the dipstick tube thereby lowering the level of oil in that dipstick tube... making the dipstick read low/empty. But it will also occur days later after I’ve already checked it previously, so may have nothing to do with cooling.
Removing the dipstick (which has a very good seal at it’s base) allows atmosphere to equalize and oil in the sump to rise in the tube. REinserting the dipstick gives the proper reading. I also have an airplane that will indicate HIGH oil levels until I wipe the dipstick and reinsert it, in which case it will then correctly indicate oil level.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Annoying Orange

Equipment
B2100 HST
Jun 9, 2020
Colorado
It’s definitely overfilled. As I said oil overflowed out of the dipstick tube when I pulled it out. The vents are clear as well.

Definitely going to do a full fluid change. It might be filled with canola oil for all I know.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Look for signs of seepage from the rear axle seals. Over filling can cause excessive pressure to build up and actually blow out the seals.