Transmission oil level hard to read

zake1000

Equipment
L2800
Jun 18, 2014
Athol, MA
Hi, I have an L2800 HST that has been sitting for about 2 yrs without use (but will get a lot very soon). The tractor was not parked on level ground, it is on a 5-10 degree slope. I am trying to see the level of the transmission oil, but it's extremely hard to see. I even tried taking pictures to see if I could tell by zooming, but still no luck. I'd like to move it about 50 feet to "level" ground to do some maintenance on it, but don't want to run it without knowing if I'm going to screw something up.
Any suggestions on how to get a read of the level? The picture on the service manual for the L2800 seems like it's on an easy location to read, on mine it is in the division between the right and left plates where you put your feet, but it is also a bit sunk below this plate. It just seems like a really bad place to put it in order to be able to see it clearly.
Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's really not that super important that it be exact, yes move it and put on a level surface, and no you won't do any damage moving it if it is low. ;)

zake1000

Equipment
L2800
Jun 18, 2014
Athol, MA
Thank you, I'll be rolling it down today and then check the level. Unfortunately mine doesn't have a dipstick.