Tranny Oil Sight Glass Cloudy

cajunbota

Equipment
L3000DT
Jan 13, 2013
louisiana
I have a 11 year old L3000DT. The sight glass on the side of the tractor has a white film over it on the inside that prevents me from seeing the level of the transmission oil. This condition began after about a year that I owned the tractor. What can I do clear the glass?
Cajunbota

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
You sure it is just not the backside of the sight glass...mine has a white background. In fact after changing my fluid it was extremely difficult to tell if it was full or below the sight glass. Over ran it the first time filled then used a flashlight. If the glass is truly cloudy I would think you could take it off, clean it, and reinstall.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My L3000 is a 2000 model and it has a white background also. I agree with Bosshogg, it's very difficult to see the oil in the glass.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
I just bought a 1999/2000 L2600, the smaller sib. of the L3000, and the sight glass (actually some kind of plexi near as I could tell) was opaque to the point that you could NOT see through to the white background.

I asked the dealer about this condition and they told me it was very common, and that it was a "simple procedure" to swap in a new one. I did not look "simple" to me, so I had the dealer do it when it was in for other repairs.

Looks perfect now, btw.

I thought about using one of those headlight polishing/conditioner/treatments. I night still need to do that for the dash "glass" - I can hardly read the hour meter...

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

What I've found is that after years of use, the plastic begins to discolor and become somewhat cloudy. Best plan is to have a new sight glass on hand the next time you service it. Real simple to change (at least on mine), pop out, pop in, done. I guess if you are daring and real quick, you might try it while there is still oil in it, raising that side up.

In any case, real simple to replace.

Ron

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
When you changed the trans oil the last time did the glass remain cloudy? Or did you check? My 30 year old L3650 had a clear sight glass right up until it was sold. But results can vary.

The bright white background is distinctive so that even clean oil can be seen (albeit barely).

Maybe the oil is cloudy (milky) from water contamination. Draining just a bit and looking at it should resolve that issue.

Just some thoughts on the issue.

If it is easy to replace and fairly inexpensive, as lreops wrote, then just go ahead and change it out.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I thought about using one of those headlight polishing/conditioner/treatments. I night still need to do that for the dash "glass" - I can hardly read the hour meter...
Try a bottle of Soft Scrub found in the dish cleaning isle at the grocery store. A friend of mine used some on the head light lenses on his 90 something Ford F150 and it made a huge difference he says.

rleger

Equipment
L3000DT and various truck patch tools
Apr 2, 2010
Egan, Louisiana
Thanks. We have had constant rains here in South Louisiana with floods that resulted. My farm is not affected but all of the rain has kept me out of the tractor shed. I am going bring all of your suggestions outside in few minutes.