Trailering tie down question.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I’m sure this has been discussed but it im not finding exactly what I’m looking for.
As I sit her with a couple broken toes bored as, you know what and having recently purchased a new trailer to haul my L3800 a couple questions have come to mind.
So from what I’ve gathered two tie downs are required for a tractor under 10,000lbs. I use chains, forget the specs but they’re above what’s needed, and break overs. I’ve added Clevis shackles front and back which I run the chains threw.
Is the loader considered a separate implement that needs its own tie down? Same question for any implement on the rear? If yes, then four total would be needed, legally?
Also, while going through older post I’ve noticed that some folks use two chains on front and two on the back with ratchets or break overs, on each chain. Is this necessary or just being extra cautious? Tractor only on the last example, btw.
Thanks Ben

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most DOT regulations in most states require 4 tie down points and yes any implement, like loader, BH, or other needs it's own tie down in addition to the tractor.
You can never tie something down too much!

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’m sure this has been discussed but it im not finding exactly what I’m looking for.
As I sit her with a couple broken toes bored as, you know what and having recently purchased a new trailer to haul my L3800 a couple questions have come to mind.
So from what I’ve gathered two tie downs are required for a tractor under 10,000lbs. I use chains, forget the specs but they’re above what’s needed, and break overs. I’ve added Clevis shackles front and back which I run the chains threw.
Is the loader considered a separate implement that needs its own tie down? Same question for any implement on the rear? If yes, then four total would be needed, legally?
Also, while going through older post I’ve noticed that some folks use two chains on front and two on the back with ratchets or break overs, on each chain. Is this necessary or just being extra cautious? Tractor only on the last example, btw.
Thanks Ben
I’ve posted this before but maybe it is helpful…

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The four devices to tighten the chains with are a way to easily be sure each chain is tight (assuming each corner is a separate chain). You can be sure with three but four is easier to use and also easier to tighten up after the first few miles of travel.

You are not trying to pull the tractor around when using four but with only two you will probably be trying to relocate a tire while tightening up one of the binders.

And the ratchet style binders are much safer to use

Reactions: 1 user

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Thanks guys. The video and your post certainly answer my questions. I’ll be changing up the way I tie down to the trailer. Once I get around to it I’ll post pics. Already bought additional chain and ratchet style binders at the farm store today.

dkbswim

Equipment
B2601
Feb 6, 2021
columbus ga
Anything 10k or more has to have 4 points of contact. IE , a chain & binder on each corner but if under 10k two is fine. 4 is better but 2 is acceptable. Disclaimer don't take this as legal advice please review laws that apply for you
look up CFR title 49 Chapter 3 Part 393.128 (b)

l3800= 2600
loader = 800
bucket =200
add weight of rear implements
add weight for ballast (wheel wights, suitcases, fluid fill)
probably operating in the 4000 - 5000 range

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
need to check local laws, as they vary state to state, province to province and crossing boarders could be intersting...
As others have said, 4 chains +1 per bucket would seem to be the MINIMUM

though the very heavy,wide load that passed me doing 120KMh ( 72MPH) yesterday SHOULD have had more than the 4 chains on it !

Reactions: 1 user

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Appreciate the replies. I’m guesstimating the weight with my heaviest rear implement around 5,300lbs. This is an over estimate, I rounded up on each item just to be safe.