Trailering accident - Any idea what happened here?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Probably the truck and trailer were pointed down hill, tractor onto rear of trailer lifted rear wheels of truck off ground and no other wheels were chocked to stop rolling. Then tractor weight got off the ramps and forward movement started it running down hill and tractor ran off trailer when the truck was stopped by something.

Looks like it will all buff right out!

Reactions: 1 user

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Probably the truck and trailer were pointed down hill, tractor onto rear of trailer lifted rear wheels of truck off ground and no other wheels were chocked to stop rolling. Then tractor weight got off the ramps and forward movement started it running down hill and tractor ran off trailer when the truck was stopped by something.

Would love to see the video.................LMFAO

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

That’s as good a guess as any and better than most... but it suffers the same problem my earlier guess does.... It doesn’t explain the binders laying beneath the trailer.... unless in Either case..the pic was taken AFTER the event.
I like yours better, however.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Don’t hate! I have one of those 2022 F-250’s on order, lol
Mike
I which the finance committee would give me approval for one, but so far, they have rejected my financial statements.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
When my mother drove her car through the apartment window she said, "The harder I pushed on the brake, the faster the car went." I'm guessing in both cases it was a case of mistaken pedal identity.
I never understood that pedal mixup with elderly folks until an older gentleman explained to me that it’s because if you can’t feel your feet you can’t tell which pedal you’re on. He drives automatics so only two pedals. He would push the pedal tentatively and if the vehicle reacted wrong move his foot right or left to switch pedals. We still ride together sometimes but he isn’t driving if I’m in the vehicle.

• Haha

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
I'm bettin seat safety switch disabled, HST treadle not centered, tractor runnin, driver got off tractor to use cigarette lighter in truck, tractor drove forward.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I never understood that pedal mixup with elderly folks until an older gentleman explained to me that it’s because if you can’t feel your feet you can’t tell which pedal you’re on. He drives automatics so only two pedals. He would push the pedal tentatively and if the vehicle reacted wrong move his foot right or left to switch pedals. We still ride together sometimes but he isn’t driving if I’m in the vehicle.
I still don’t understand it. I watched a woman pull up towards me and roll her window down to talk to me.... when suddenly she peeled-out towards my truck just ahead of her...nearly crashed into it before she got stopped. You could not slip a piece of paper between the two vehicles.
She said “I stepped on the wrong pedal.”. ... but I saw she had her usual 10 AM plastic-glass of “tea”.
She’s a well-known alcoholic with years of erratic and angry behavior.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I zoomed up the picture, it looks like that racheting binder is busted(part on ground, part in pocket. The Kub is used, trailer as well,has cleat for bucket., graphics on the truck....so a 'pro' ??
Maybe he needed to brake HARD, no rear binders(in a hurry...)front binder failed, launched Kub into truck,rolled rig to where we see it ?
It'd really be nice to see more pictures. Maybe a location, to Google for info(local paper would have posted it !) I've seen guys only have 1 strap to hold similar loads, 'only going down the road a bit' or 'in a hurry, it'll be fine'.......

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I dont think the tractor could've "driven" to its current location: the rear wheels aren't touching the deck.

The tractor got launched into its position.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would think that the tractor would have to have a significant amount of momentum to do what it did which would require velocity. It's kind of like driving in a nail by resting the hammer on the head of the nail or pushing down on the hammer, the hammer head needs momentum to do meaningful work. I have a hard time believing that the tractor could "idle" or roll its way through the tailgate.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
FEL was raised when this happened. Otherwise the forks would have gone into the cab. It seems too that the tailgate would be in worse shape if the tractor had gone forward through it. The only logical explanation therefore is that it was on that chinese rocket and just happened to land on that poor guys truck while he was off in the woods working with his BX ;)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not sure, but looks like the trailer tongue is sittng on the ground. Wonder if the trailer came unhitched?
Yeah, I’m back to my opinion in my original post... hit the brakes and the tractor broke-forward.
In a hard-stop the hitch takes enormous stress in a Downward direction and trailers often fail in that manner at the hitch. Add to that the weight of the tractor ON the hitch as it moved forward and there you have it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
This is not my picture.

Just wondering what happened here. Loading gone wrong? You can see a binder or two under the trailer, so it looks like he was in the process of loading the tractor onto the trailer.

View attachment 59858
This is proof of rumours that Kubota is trying to enter the pickup truck market by making their own cross breed. Too bad they chose Ford to be the mother.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Momentum was not his friend?

I have no plans to tow my tractor but, thinking of bringing a new bush hog home myself, went down the Youtube trailering rabbit hole for a few days. It seems there's a reason related mostly to forward momentum why fore and aft tie downs are most important. Especially aft.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I shed a little tear for this guy (or gal).

looking at picture seems tractor frame (between front and rear wheels) is ON TOP of the truck tailgate.
Somehow launched and landed on top of tailgate??
Didn't look like a roll forward that pushed through the tailgate but launched UP and fell down.
Pretty violent that for sure.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
And I saw this thread the day before I needed to transport a tractor I had just bought to my farm… thank you all for the advice and explanations. I will use a truck similar to the one in the OP picture and will do my best to install the sting enough tie-downs.
Waiting for your pictures. How did the trip go? Where in the US do you live?