Trailer loading fail

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Well, park on level ground and chock your wheels. I would of backed off if I was in the seat.

Reactions: 1 users

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
We call that "trailer surfing".

Wheel chocks and proper ramps or jacks on the trailer will cure that.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Lotsa stupid in that video…

After the initial launch of the rig…he coulda use that BH to slow/stop it before it really got going…or backed the tractor off (risky at that point)…

the only thing he did that was smart is to jump off…chasing it was pointless.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Well, damn, I do not trailer my tractor and never ever thought of this. Thanks for the video. I will remember this. My campers have always put down pressure on the hitch and never thought about the physics of loading a trailer.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Did it not seem like the truck took right off? Suppose it was in park? I agree about chocking tires and jacks under the trailer, but sure seemed like park no workee so well on that. Not only that I don’t believe a utility trailer with a landscaping/beaver tail gate is really meant for a tractor that size. Seemed like several problems in that video before the tractor even hit the tail gate/ramp. Would that trucks park really not hold that?

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
If he had kept driving on, the weight would have gone onto the truck, and it would have stopped.

Reactions: 3 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
It is not hard to jar them out of park, or break the pawg that holds the system in park. Its a piece of stamped steel the size of your pinky. Really common with hay trailers to break the trans park pushing bales on. Ill admit my fubar was something as simple as torquing lug nuts. The truck moved far enough forward, then back that it popped into reverse. Luckily nobody got hurt. I use the big rubber semi chocks whenever I'm working now. Even jack stands roll over. I wouldn't trust the trans park with my life. Use the e-brake too folks! Its not just small utility trailers lifting half tons. My 7500lb 34ft gooseneck will lift my dually no prob. Thats with knee ramps. There is no better substitute for good chocks.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What he should have done is have feet on the bottom of his ramps so when ramps are in use the trailer does not pick up the tow vehicle !!!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The 'p' on the tranny is to put IT in 'park', as in 'not in use', it's NOT a 'PARKING BRAKE' for the truck.

Trailer is fine for hauling that tractor, gate/ramp looks like it has steel to support the tires.
yes, chocks would be nice
yes, blocks/jacks would be nice
could have pulled the breakaway, then trailer brakes would be on.

wonder what damage was done to the pickup ??

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The 'p' on the tranny is to put IT in 'park', as in 'not in use', it's NOT a 'PARKING BRAKE' for the truck.

Trailer is fine for hauling that tractor, gate/ramp looks like it has steel to support the tires.
yes, chocks would be nice
yes, blocks/jacks would be nice
could have pulled the breakaway, then trailer brakes would be on.

wonder what damage was done to the pickup ??
I don’t what happened to the truck, but I bet the vinyl on the seat was deformed and also the underbritches needed a power washin’ . 🥃

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Having the truck in park, and setting the brake would not have helped. The truck rolled away because the trailer lifted the rear wheels off the ground. As others have said, jacks under the back of the trailer should have been used to prevent the trailer from tilting. Once the truck started to move the operator should have backed the tractor off immediately before the truck moved more than a few feet.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Start by getting in the habit of using hour PARKING BRAKE when you are PARKING.

It's not an "emergency brake". It's for PARKING, and if people would stop using that incorrect and STUPID term, "emergency brake", there would be a lot more people using their PARKING BRAKE and a lot fewer vehicles rolling away.

Not at all disagreeing with the good practice of using chocks when loading equipment, but it's always a good idea to start with Step 1.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Did you notice how the trailer bowed when he got up on it? Not adequate.
Yep…to be fair I’ve never found any sort of description or industry standard for trailer towing ratings or even for non commercial truck towing standards. Because something says it can hold or tow it doesn’t it mean it is a good idea or that it leaves any margin of error for SWLL…buyer/user beware as far as I can tell. All trailers within a specific weight rating are not built equal or thats for sure.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
The first video makes me sick every time I see it. The second video is new to me. How the ramps impaled the truck....not a good day for anyone.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I really liked the "Tarzan" attempt at the end. Classic.

At least his trailer did a nice job leveling his stone driveway. maybe the next time someone asks which attachment works best on a driveway, I'll just link that video. :)

Yes, they walk among us.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Start by getting in the habit of using hour PARKING BRAKE when you are PARKING.

It's not an "emergency brake". It's for PARKING, and if people would stop using that incorrect and STUPID term, "emergency brake", there would be a lot more people using their PARKING BRAKE and a lot fewer vehicles rolling away.

Not at all disagreeing with the good practice of using chocks when loading equipment, but it's always a good idea to start with Step 1.
That's what it's called? I always call it the Drift Stick. 😆

• Haha