Trailer hitch - On the bucket or 3 Point?

firemedic726

Sep 23, 2019
Gig Harbor, WA
I'm in need of an option for moving my 6000lb boat around my property but due to some tight locations, I feel that the tractor is the way to go. I have an L4701 with the L765. I'm considering either a quick attach for the front, a clamp-on ball or a 3point trailer hitch. The tongue weight is around 600 so weight isn't a factor. Just wondering if the bucket or the 3point is the best location for both stability and maneuverability. It seems as if the 3point would be a more compact option but I'm not a huge fan of swapping from my scraper to other implements. It seems as if the front quick-attach would be the easier option.

Opinions and personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erick

BTW...first time poster.

Reactions: 1 users

Biltit

May 29, 2018
SK
I have a ball on my 3pt, just feels more natural moving trailers around. Similar to a truck but with a much better turning radius. Either should work fine.

I made a ballast/universal hitch that stays on my tractor most of the time. There are times i pull a trailer and have a bucket full of stuff so a ball on the hitch wouldnt work for me.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Weld a 2 inch hitch to the scraper and hang a drop hitch to it. Pull 1 pin and the scraper is unaffected. Hitching to the front bucket is harder because the bucket blocks your line of sight making it hard to hook up.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I actually put a hole in one of my buckets that will accept a ball. It also accepts my round bale spear but when I spot my trailers I like to use the bucket and 'drive' the trailers. Much easier to spot in a tight location going forward than backing up. Your 'other' issue will be, with the tractor. backing up, you won't have a good view of the trailer and where it's actually going without a spotter. When you 'drive' it, that issue is basically eliminated.

I also have a rear mount 3 point bale spear with a ball welded to the top for pulling but I rarely use it. The bucket and drive approach is much easier, at least for me.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I'm like Flip in that regard. I have both but find using the hitch on the loader is a lot easier to see what your doing and tuck that trailer in tightly.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
And my box scraper solution:
But keep in mind if the trailer is heavy and can lift the tongue, (especially suddenly) it can cause the three point lift arms to slam to the top of their travel, sometimes resulting in a broken housing for the three point lift. I know a guy who had this happen, and have read about others. Something that limits the upward travel may be necessary.

Attachments

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I got my welder neighbor to cut a 1" hole near the end of one of my forklift blades. Pop a ball in when needed for trailer moving. It takes some getting used to maneuvering loads with the pivot point so far in front of the the tractor.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
If you have a Quick Attach bucket you can drop it and slap one of these units on the front. I got mine at

Skid Steer Attachment Depot for $200. I bit pricey but very well made and it makes it real easy to see the ball to line up. You don't have to get off the tractor to move a boat or other trailer. The front hitch makes it extremely maneuverable to stab the trailer just where you want it.

kubota-plate.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I doubt I'll be using the bucket much anymore or the ball on the rear spear now that my wife bought a Kubota Sidekick. It has a receiver on the front and the back so I can use the front receiver and a receiver hitch and ball now.

Attachments

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I use the drawbar with a 2" receiver tube welded to it so I can change between the different size ball and pintle hitches. I also added a brake controller and RV 7 pin connector so if I go down the road the trailers lights and brakes work too.

luc.who

Sep 1, 2018
Lewisberry PA
I use the drawbar with a 2" receiver tube welded to it so I can change between the different size ball and pintle hitches. I also added a brake controller and RV 7 pin connector so if I go down the road the trailers lights and brakes work too.

Kewl Ideas... Like to check out all your handy work some day!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm in need of an option for moving my 6000lb boat around my property but due to some tight locations, I feel that the tractor is the way to go. I have an L4701 with the L765. I'm considering either a quick attach for the front, a clamp-on ball or a 3point trailer hitch. The tongue weight is around 600 so weight isn't a factor. Just wondering if the bucket or the 3point is the best location for both stability and maneuverability. It seems as if the 3point would be a more compact option but I'm not a huge fan of swapping from my scraper to other implements. It seems as if the front quick-attach would be the easier option.

Opinions and personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erick

BTW...first time poster.
Unless all areas where you plan to maneuver your boat are flat, I would recommend you tow it from the fixed drawbar, or a three point mounted receiver with proper links to prevent the three point mechanism from lifting.

SDT

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
1482D644-3CD1-4AEE-9083-7566B0593D77.jpg
Picked up a $59. A frame on Amazon, hooks right on the quick hitch, totally adaptable for any height or ball size. On and off in a few seconds

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Attachments