Trailer for L3800

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Going to breakdown and get a trailer for my L3800. It will be a regular type not a gooseneck. I'll probably get a 20' so I can haul it with the disk and loader attached. I'm just looking for suggestions... like should I get removable ramps or the ones that are hinged, short sides or no sides or anything else you want to throw out there. Thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a 20' with dove tail and fold down ramps. If I had it to do over again I would have went with a 22' instead.

At least a 10K rating. 3500# axles are a waste for a tractor that size.

Brakes on both axles.

I prefer a open deck without side rails.

2 5/16" ball.

Mine is a Down2Earth brand, I have been very pleased with it.

togfish

Equipment
Had L3130, now L3560
Jan 18, 2014
Virginia
Mine is a 22' Big Tex Tilt, 14K lbs gross. Can haul your 3800 and any implements you may need. The tilt gives a full 22' of straight deck and is very easy to load and unload. I've used several with the fold down ramps and they always take a beating bouncing down the road. You may get away with a 10K gross trailer, but I needed mine heavy to be able to haul another piece of equipment that weighs 10K.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I looked at a tilt but I didn't see how it would work where I could load hay on the front and then load a tractor on the back. Other than that I bet a tilt deck is great.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
What are you pulling it with? Get brakes on both axles no matter what.

Tractordata says a 4WD L3800 weighs 3340lbs. If it wasn't for the extra length of implements, I'd say a 7K would be more than enough. A longer trailer enables you to balance the load better. A short trailer doesn't give you the flexibility and you don't ever want a heavy trailer with insufficient tongue weight because you've only got one location that it fits. A big trailer with low capacity is asking to be overloaded.

I have a 20' 10K and it's big enough for my diesel crew cab.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks for the replies. I will look into a 22'er and the 10K# axles. My brother has a big GMC crew cab with 9,500# towing capacity. We will only be towing it 3-4 miles up the hwy to our other section of property. We used to drive the tractor down the hwy but it's a risk we don't want to take any more. Thanks again.

GaltsGulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800, BX2380, and BX23S
Apr 14, 2015
Ranger, Ga
This is the trailer I got. I have been much happier with it than the equipment trailer I had prior. Haven't had a problem getting all my implements along with the L3800 on it. In my experience the ramps make a trailer. Make sure they have properly designed legs to keep the back of the trailer from dropping while loading. To many trailers have a bad habit of folding the ramps up if you accidentally jar the tractor while you are loading even if the tires are chalked.

It is 18 + 2 on the dovetail. My only complaint is the dovetail gets a little slick in the rain. Especially when I am loading a mini track loader. Don't notice it as much with a tractor with tires.

http://www.gatormade.com/equipment-trailers/equipment-trailer-plus-2-series-14k-gvw/

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Since you have to figure in the trailer weight a 7k trailer will only haul 4500 - 5000 lbs, depending on how well it's built. If the 3800 weighs 3340 by itself, it will be around 4500 with just a loader. Add the implement weight and you are overloaded.

Will it haul it, yes. Will it be safe, maybe. Are you maxed out every time you haul, absolutely. Bambam, go with your gut and spend a few extra dollars now and get the 22'. You'll be much happier and safer.

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I rebuilt a 16' 7K trailer into a 25' 10K trailer for my L2950 with loader. I can put a boxblade and cultivator rake on the front and stack a landscape rake with it, then load the tractor with a 5' bush hog attached and not have anything hang off the trailer. I still have some room to place the tractor for the best weight distribution.

I replaced my 3500# axles with 5200# brake axles, length-ed the side rails, all new deck and upgraded the coupler to 2 5/16 and rack to a 7K sruare tube weld on drop leg jack.

Kept the original ramps, they are hinged at the rear and trignale shaped so that they support the tractor weight as it is loaded. I can remove them within a few minutes if I need to. Another thing I did was to fabricate a rigid ramp support so that they stay in a fixed position when upright.

I love my trailer and the modifications I made. Post pic shortly

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I have a 18' dovetail bumper pull I bought with my tractor. It's from Port City Trailers in Mobile. My only complaints are the tongue is to short as I can't let down my tailgate of my truck without it hitting the trailer jack. And the dovetail is really low, busted both tail lights first trip out, since replaced with low profile LED lights.

I have enough room for my disc up front and have my cutter on the rear of the tractor. Although 20' or 22' would be nice I don't haul it enough as of right now to justify a bigger trailer(gooseneck).
Which part of Mobile are you from?

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks to everyone for their valuable input. I definitely will not be getting a trailer that will be just enough for the job.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I have a 18' dovetail bumper pull I bought with my tractor. It's from Port City Trailers in Mobile. My only complaints are the tongue is to short as I can't let down my tailgate of my truck without it hitting the trailer jack. And the dovetail is really low, busted both tail lights first trip out, since replaced with low profile LED lights.

I have enough room for my disc up front and have my cutter on the rear of the tractor. Although 20' or 22' would be nice I don't haul it enough as of right now to justify a bigger trailer(gooseneck).
Which part of Mobile are you from?
West Mobile. What about you?