Tractorless! Help!

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
Just got home from a long road trip (630 miles round trip) picking up my new to me 2013 MX5100. It only has 202 hours, stored indoors and had the oil changed every 50 hours. He also changed the hydro oil and filters and even kept it waxed. Except for a few dents and scratches in the bucket and of course paint wear on the platform where your feet go it could about pass for new. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Reactions: 3 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Just got home from a long road trip (630 miles round trip) picking up my new to me 2013 MX5100. It only has 202 hours, stored indoors and had the oil changed every 50 hours. He also changed the hydro oil and filters and even kept it waxed. Except for a few dents and scratches in the bucket and of course paint wear on the platform where your feet go it could about pass for new. I'm very happy with my purchase.
Pictures man, pictures.

And congratulations, you’ll love the MX.

Reactions: 1 user

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Awesome tractor!

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I don't like the fact that you have to lift the loader to remove the radiator screen. Plus the hydro cooler is in front of it? Bad design in my opinion.
I agree on the radiator screen. On the 2501 you can pull it both ways so I do half on one side then the other. Should come out the top.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Oh no! You did just what I told you to. Gulp.
She's a beaut and I think you'll be pleased. Which tranny?
The screen on my L35 is like that. At least I can get an air nozzle behind the hydraulic cooler to blast it clean.

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Oh no! You did just what I told you to. Gulp.
She's a beaut and I think you'll be pleased. Which tranny?
The screen on my L35 is like that. At least I can get an air nozzle behind the hydraulic cooler to blast it clean.
Pictures show an HST.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I got it over to the "farm" and drove it around a good bit there. With no rear implement the back bounces up and down quite a bit in the rough fields. Because of that and the fact that the hydro pedal is so light and sensitive it makes the bouncing worse. If the pedal is all the way down or the cruise is set I don't notice it as much. I'm sure that putting fluid in the tires would help. What about installing a slightly stronger return spring on the pedal? It has very little resistance.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Looks nearly new. Congratulations!

PaulL is right about the HST return spring. Give yourself a while to get used to it before you decide to increase spring tension.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
Looks nearly new. Congratulations!

PaulL is right about the HST return spring. Give yourself a while to get used to it before you decide to increase spring tension.

I did not like the little John Deere 1025R side by side double pedals but it did not have this issue. I think it was because it was really difficult to push (but stayed there easily) and was more of a forward motion instead of straight down. My B7500 is more of a forward motion than the MX also and does not seem to bounce as much.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I did not like the little John Deere 1025R side by side double pedals but it did not have this issue. I think it was because it was really difficult to push (but stayed there easily) and was more of a forward motion instead of straight down. My B7500 is more of a forward motion than the MX also and does not seem to bounce as much.
On my B I just got used to it. When the tractor is light it pitches around a bit.....but if it's pitching that much you're probably going too fast for the terrain. I learned to go a bit slower. And your foot gets used to the "touch". I'm usually either going slow (going from place to place, moving stuff) in which case I'm not pitching much. Or I'm mowing, which I tend to do full speed. And that is pretty bumpy in some areas I mow. But full speed doesn't give the issue - foot on the floor isn't so sensitive. Perhaps try a different range and full speed? :)

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Getting some weight (implement and/or ballast) on the rear should help a good bit. I also found the dealer set the loaded R4 rears on my L at 30PSI. Dropped them to 12 and that greatly improved both ride and traction.

I would agree it takes some getting used to. Mine is the first and only HST I’ve driven for more than a few minutes. I tried a variety of foot positions depending on how much direction change was going on. The tractor bounce jouncing the operator bumping the pedal causing more bounce cycle; I’m familiar with from my early hours with it. After a few long days shortly after we got it rehabbing our private road and driveways with the loader, box scrape, and back blade, I couldn’t tell you where exactly I put my foot or how I avoid the bounce, jerk cycle. All I can tell you is now it goes the direction I want at the speed (within reason) I want like it’s another appendage. That’s why it might be worth considering giving yourself a few hours in the seat before you start making mods.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
On my B I just got used to it. When the tractor is light it pitches around a bit.....but if it's pitching that much you're probably going too fast for the terrain. I learned to go a bit slower. And your foot gets used to the "touch". I'm usually either going slow (going from place to place, moving stuff) in which case I'm not pitching much. Or I'm mowing, which I tend to do full speed. And that is pretty bumpy in some areas I mow. But full speed doesn't give the issue - foot on the floor isn't so sensitive. Perhaps try a different range and full speed? :)
Yeah I mentioned that if the pedal was all the way down or the cruise was set it did not bounce as much.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
Getting some weight (implement and/or ballast) on the rear should help a good bit. I also found the dealer set the loaded R4 rears on my L at 30PSI. Dropped them to 12 and that greatly improved both ride and traction.

I would agree it takes some getting used to. Mine is the first and only HST I’ve driven for more than a few minutes. I tried a variety of foot positions depending on how much direction change was going on. The tractor bounce jouncing the operator bumping the pedal causing more bounce cycle; I’m familiar with from my early hours with it. After a few long days shortly after we got it rehabbing our private road and driveways with the loader, box scrape, and back blade, I couldn’t tell you where exactly I put my foot or how I avoid the bounce, jerk cycle. All I can tell you is now it goes the direction I want at the speed (within reason) I want like it’s another appendage. That’s why it might be worth considering giving yourself a few hours in the seat before you start making mods.

I forgot to check the tire pressure. That might help a bit.

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
Something I can't BELIEVE I overlooked on this model. It does not have a quick detach bucket. Are there parts readily available to convert to a skid steer type bucket or are we talking custom work?