Tractor with backhoe storage question.

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
I am thinking that buying a used enclosed trailer for tractor storage might be cheaper and as good as building a small building to put the tractor in for storage. I have a few problems.

First, I am looking to buy a L series tractor with the 11.2 x 24" tires (or a similar size) as different models tire size may vary.

The length given on tractordata.com is just the tractor without adding additional length for the loader or backhoe. Roughly speaking how long is a L series tractor with a loader and backhoe (I know length may vary based on the exact model)? Does a BH77 stick above the ROPS and if so how much? Can a tractor with backhoe fit in a typical enclosed tractor or is the trailer opening under the roof to low? Would your head hit the top of the trailer opening getting the tractor in and out?

How long should an enclosed trailer be to allow proper hitch weight transfer, and allow for other attachments? 20' or 24'??? I did find an ad for 40 to 50 foot storage box trailers for sale at $1,000 to $1,500 that no doubt are old semi truck trailers that my ton truck would not want to tow.

(As an example only) Kubota L3700SU Backhoe Loading height: 64.4 inches Length: 106.5 inches Height (ROPS): 85 inches <--Does this mean the backhoe is 21.6" below the height of the ROPS?

Maybe an enclosed trailer is a bad idea for storage but it would offer security (with the proper hitch lock), privacy, and the ability to take the tractor where I want it to go. I am sure a flatbed would use less fuel towing a tractor due to aerodynamic drag.

Proper storage is required to avoid problems like this. Due to some abuse and weather damage I offered half (plus $500) of this tractors worth if garaged and in good shape. I think I offered to much and was still rejected.

007.jpg

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I am thinking that buying a used enclosed trailer for tractor storage might be cheaper and as good as building a small building to put the tractor in for storage. I have a few problems.

First, I am looking to buy a L series tractor with the 11.2 x 24" tires (or a similar size) as different models tire size may vary.

The length given on tractordata.com is just the tractor without adding additional length for the loader or backhoe. Roughly speaking how long is a L series tractor with a loader and backhoe (I know length may vary based on the exact model)? Does a BH77 stick above the ROPS and if so how much? Can a tractor with backhoe fit in a typical enclosed tractor or is the trailer opening under the roof to low? Would your head hit the top of the trailer opening getting the tractor in and out?

How long should an enclosed trailer be to allow proper hitch weight transfer, and allow for other attachments? 20' or 24'??? I did find an ad for 40 to 50 foot storage box trailers for sale at $1,000 to $1,500 that no doubt are old semi truck trailers that my ton truck would not want to tow.

(As an example only) Kubota L3700SU Backhoe Loading height: 64.4 inches Length: 106.5 inches Height (ROPS): 85 inches <--Does this mean the backhoe is 21.6" below the height of the ROPS?

Maybe an enclosed trailer is a bad idea for storage but it would offer security (with the proper hitch lock), privacy, and the ability to take the tractor where I want it to go. I am sure a flatbed would use less fuel towing a tractor due to aerodynamic drag.

Proper storage is required to avoid problems like this. Due to some abuse and weather damage I offered half (plus $500) of this tractors worth if garaged and in good shape. I think I offered to much and was still rejected.

View attachment 99663
No the back hoe doesn’t stick up above the ROPS, and it’s roughly 18-19ft long, pics for reference…(trailer is 18ft)

51594540-608C-4EAF-946E-208D1527B439.jpeg

39D501C0-FFA3-48FD-AD1C-F38BF8500770.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 99663
A used enclosed trailer in excellent condition (22' min.) will cost close to as much as a new (close to $9,000) one.
An "average" used enclosed trailer (22' min.) is likely to need new brakes, tires, springs (?), wiring, and perhaps even roof repairs.
Costs mount up quickly.
I have owned two different cargo trailers (I bought both new, and sold for almost same price).
For trailering they are fine, but for storage.........not so much.
Your tractor will be living in a steam room in the Summertime.
Enclosed trailers get boiling hot inside in Summer, since most have very poor, or zero ventilation.

Last edited:

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.

I store in a large machine shed w/ 14' roll up door clearance but I also have a 20' trailer I use on rare occasion for transport. I almost never transport much.

On my l3301 w/r4's the ROP is taller at about 92"

I carry mine on an 20' (w/ loader and BH) with some room to spare front and back to allow for balancing.

Trailer has 2 x 3,500 pound axles with enough room to manoeuvre back / forth to get more than enough tongue weight. Balance is not a problem. I am at very very close to max. weight for this 7,000 pound trailer as trailer is 1,900 pounds and tractor w/loader/bucket/backhoe/bucket and straps/chains when I was weighed by the LEO's they said I was within 10 pounds of being overloaded. Close but not over but never gave me exact numbers as they said I was OK but be careful.

My axles are movable but set as it came from factory.

Little to no extra room for attachments other than forks which bucket can sit on. No extra room for snow blower / logging winch, etc....
I could probably squeeze my grapple on the trailer in a pinch but never tried. Could lift loader/bucket and pinch grapple between bucket and brush gaurd with bucket resting ontop of grapple if really in a pinch but not desirable IMHO.
Can always lift loader (bucket) and prop up with a frame and then store something under the loader.

edit: corrected trailer length

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

View attachment 99663
Good day…

just my opinion, but storing a tractor in/on a trailer regularly may keep it out of sight and protected from elements….however if someone wants to take it…it might get be easier for them if it’s already loaded. Trailers are stolen too…if someone wants it bad enough they could swipe the trailer and find out the tractor was thrown in for free. Plenty of videos on line showing how easily the locks are broken / defeated. Also, I would worry about condensation in an enclosed trailer thru the seasons / temperature swings…not sure what that would do to the machine but I am not aware it increases performance. Just my thoughts.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Con-X box or a Sea container. I have two and they work great, all the Kubota attachments in one in the Winter and my Snowmachine in the other for the Summer.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: it would offer security (with the proper hitch lock)
I've been known to move trailers 'secured' that way by using the safety chains..... easy,simple, fast.....and fun !

country_hick

Mar 2, 2023
Maine
re: it would offer security (with the proper hitch lock)
I've been known to move trailers 'secured' that way by using the safety chains..... easy,simple, fast.....and fun !
That could work to defeat a lock on a bumper tow. I do not see it working on a fifth wheel with "the enforcer" attached. It is heavy, expensive, and worth it. I have and use this for one trailer. I may end up needing another one. Do NOT buy a used one on ebay without any keys. You will never get the keys to make it usable. I called the company and they confirmed to get keys made you need to know who sold the lock originally. I guess its serial number is not enough.

King Pin Lock to Secure Dropped Truck Trailer - Transport Security - ENFORCER
Picture

This on the other hand would offer no protection against a half decent thief.

1680813998360.png

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I think height is going to be an issue. My L35 on R4's is just barely under 8'. A large frame L and/or ag tires would probably be taller. Most semi box doors aren't much taller than that, are they?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think height is going to be an issue. My L35 on R4's is just barely under 8'. A large frame L and/or ag tires would probably be taller. Most semi box doors aren't much taller than that, are they?
Do you have a foldable ROPS on your L35?
(I actually do not think they ever made a foldable ROPS for the L35)
The OP would seem to be only looking at machines with foldable ROPS.
I think my L48 TLB would fit, for height, because I have permanently removed my ROPS.

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
You can get a Hi-box, I think at 9ft. Mine are 8ft and the B3200 with a cab fits.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Why not get a sea can? Anyway, as far as size, I have a 20 foot sea can and I have the backhoe stored in it, along with my B2620 with the loader and a rear snow blower installed. I do have the loader in the raised position a stand over the backhoe though.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Do you have a foldable ROPS on your L35?
(I actually do not think they ever made a foldable ROPS for the L35)
The OP would seem to be only looking at machines with foldable ROPS.
I think my L48 TLB would fit, for height, because I have permanently removed my ROPS.
The L35 has a four post FOP, so no folding. So you took the canopy completely off?
OP could gain a little in hoe height by setting the bucket on the floor, but it might add to his length.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You can get a Hi-box, I think at 9ft. Mine are 8ft and the B3200 with a cab fits.
You're talking about containers, right? I think OP is considering a trailer for storage and hauling. I'm thinking about the enclosed trailers people use to haul cars, the one I used wasn't that tall but I'm sure he could find a taller one.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The L35 has a four post FOP, so no folding. So you took the canopy completely off?
OP could gain a little in hoe height by setting the bucket on the floor, but it might add to his length.
Yup.....I did take the canopy, and the four post system off.
I have owned a Ford 8N for over 50 years, and am still alive....no seat belt either.
I find the ROPS to be an obstructive nuisance on my property.
I have no meaningful slopes or ditches to deal with.
I have stored the canopy, (nicely repainted) and all the attaching hardware.

IMHO aircraft carrier landings, and service in Vietnam, were a hell of a lot more dangerous than occasionally riding a Kubota L48 TLB, without a ROPS or seatbelt.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Yup.....I did take the canopy, and the four post system off.
I have owned a Ford 8N for over 50 years, and am still alive....no seat belt either.
I find the ROPS to be an obstructive nuisance on my property.
I have no meaningful slopes or ditches to deal with.
I have stored the canopy, (nicely repainted) and all the attaching hardware.

IMHO aircraft carrier landings, and service in Vietnam, were a hell of a lot more dangerous than occasionally riding a Kubota L48 TLB, without a ROPS or seatbelt.
Famous last words.... I'm just kidding with ya. Seriously. And Thank you for your service!

I've never been a ROPS fan, but I understand why it's there. Kubota sells lots of tractors to newbies. And to people that just can't comprehend center-of-gravity changes with a loader or backhoe. I'm sure there were plenty of lawsuits... So now we have ROPS. I actually feel so much more freedom in an open station compared to my current cab model LX2610. Other than the hot days, or mosquito days, or the snow and cold days... I'd prefer an open station.

To the OP: I bought a 22' flatbed to haul cars and cargo when I moved last year. When I hauled cargo, in the rainy months, I turned the flatbed into a cargo trailer by buying 4x8 exterior panels and built a cargo hauler on top of my flatbed. When done, I repurposed the 4x8 panels on the new property. But for your intended use I'd suggest what others have. To save money instead of buying or building a garage or large shed, buy a used shipping cargo container. No wheels, no undercarriage. Hard to steal. Put in a couple solar fan vents in the roof, and some smaller static vents along the floor. But it will still get very hot in it.

Or, better yet, put your new tractor to use and dig a large hole and bury the cargo container. Leave a ramp into it at one end, and bury it deep enough to put 12" of soil on top of it. That should solve your heating issues. Store your tractor in your 'cave'. It won't be seen easily. And you could turn it into a short gun range. Or a fallout shelter if all heck breaks loose. Lol. You may have to reinforce the roof, I just don't know. But either way I wouldn't recommend driving over it once it's buried.

Last edited: