Tractor will not turn over

zarkerr

Jun 30, 2014
Kempner Texas
When I try to start my tractor all I get is a clicking from the starter/ solenoid. I have tried jumping it with my truck and I get the same thing. I tried crossing the posts on the solenoid and starter while jumping it and got the same clicking. I have checked all the wiring and did not see any obvious problems. Connections to battery are clean and tight along with the starter connections. I have not had the battery tested yet. Some times I have lights and some times I don't. The tractor is about 5 years old and I have abused it. This is the only problem I've had. Any help is appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When I try to start my tractor all I get is a clicking from the starter/ solenoid. I have tried jumping it with my truck and I get the same thing. I tried crossing the posts on the solenoid and starter while jumping it and got the same clicking. I have checked all the wiring and did not see any obvious problems. Connections to battery are clean and tight along with the starter connections. I have not had the battery tested yet. Some times I have lights and some times I don't. The tractor is about 5 years old and I have abused it. This is the only problem I've had. Any help is appreciated.
1st - a dead or semi dead battery will not turn it over, no matter what you throw at it.
2nd - clicking is either poor connections or poor amp flow. Could be a solenoid, but I dont think so, they are bad or good - rarely click when bad.

replace battery with known good one.

the lights sometimes work and then not says that battery has short internal OR you have a wiring problem.

start with new good battery - then bright and tight, start again.

Starter could be bad too..... the lights working then NOT working says a lot ..........

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Saturday my tractor did the same thing. Ground cable had a poor connection at the frame, power would come and go as it pleased. When i pulled cable i could see where it was arcing. Polished it up and terminal grease to prevent corrosion and its been perfect.

As mentioned above, all the batteries in the world wont power over a shorted battery.

A voltmeter on the lead battery terminals while someone cranks will isolate weather its battery or something else
If it holds 12 volts when cranked battery is good. Then you have to hunt elsewhere.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull battery and take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested, considering the age it's probably dead.

zarkerr

Jun 30, 2014
Kempner Texas
Thanks for the help. I did not clean the ground to frame connectio so I'll try that first, the the battery test. Thanks again. Gotta get this done before the grass over grows the tractor.