Tractor - unclear power loss, need your advice (Video)

alx101

Oct 4, 2023
Canada
My B2100 almost isn't moving anymore. Problem evolved out of the blue when I was doing some brush cutting with a rotary cutter attached. I inspected the tractor for the obvious (leaks, oil levels, mechanical issues) before I decided to move it back from the field to the yard for a deeper dive into the problem at my shop. There was no obvious cause for the problem. On my way back from the field, the problem increased to get worse within five minutes. Up to the point, were the tractor wouldn't move at all (tractor at working temperature).
What I did so far:
- checked the hydraulic oil pump (seals and wear)
- checked for the proper clutch adjustment
- checked for leaks -> seal of mid-mount PTO is leaking slowly
- tested the influence of moving oil through the loader circuit while trying to drive (I thought, maybe I can recognize even more of a power loss, but no. No influence at all on the driving issue.)
- tested, if driving issue differs between oils being cold, in comparison to the oil being warmer: turns out the tractor will move slowly until oil is warm, than no "power transfer" to the wheels and this weird rattling sound (check the attached video)

Video link here: Tractor Video on Rumble

Specs: Kubota B2100 HST

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The clutch is gone!
Or the couplings are striped/ damaged.

1709329813739.png

Reactions: 1 user

alx101

Oct 4, 2023
Canada
The clutch is gone!
Or the couplings are striped/ damaged.

View attachment 123378
Thank-you so much for your fast answer! Also for the picture, very helpful. I was concerned, that those cylinder blocks (expensive) in the transmission could be the problem, but if its the clutch, I almost welcome it.
I am a helicopter ride plus >500km away from the dealership. Getting parts is okay, shipping the tractor - no way.
So, I am starting to separate the tractor and check the clutch. Thank you for your help:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank-you so much for your fast answer! Also for the picture, very helpful. I was concerned, that those cylinder blocks (expensive) in the transmission could be the problem, but if its the clutch, I almost welcome it.
I am a helicopter ride plus >500km away from the dealership. Getting parts is okay, shipping the tractor - no way.
So, I am starting to separate the tractor and check the clutch. Thank you for your help:)
With the tractor NOT running and the tires BLOCKED (sorry we have a member that thinks he needs to be the Texas Ranger ,US marshal, or RCMP of safety Police, if I don't spell it out exactly right.)
Crawl under the tractor and check for excessive play in the shaft or joints.
It will still require the same work and path as getting to the clutch if the shaft or joints are bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

alx101

Oct 4, 2023
Canada
With the tractor NOT running and the tires BLOCKED (sorry we have a member that thinks he needs to be the Texas Ranger ,US marshal, or RCMP of safety Police, if I don't spell it out exactly right.)
Crawl under the tractor and check for excessive play in the shaft or joints.
It will still require the same work and path as getting to the clutch if the shaft or joints are bad.
So, I crawled under the tractor and got stuck (there is just not enough "headspace" under a B2100 and the BLOCKING made it even worse). You should have mentioned that possibility (and write it in bold).
When they found me stuck in the morning and pulled me out from under the tractor I could feel my joints excessively (shaft was okay, thou).
I think, if I would have had the engine running, it would at least have been a warm night!

And you are telling me I have to do the same thing again to get to the clutch? Reference, you wrote: "It will [..] require the same [..] path [..] getting to the clutch".

Can I remove the blocking and have the engine running this time? More space, less cold at night.

Cheers, Alx101

---
Hint for the unsure: I am trying to be funny here. No offense towards any member. We are all on the same side, I assume.

I get you North Idaho Wolfman, really appreciate your help here.

• Haha

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So, I crawled under the tractor and got stuck (there is just not enough "headspace" under a B2100 and the BLOCKING made it even worse). You should have mentioned that possibility (and write it in bold).
When they found me stuck in the morning and pulled me out from under the tractor I could feel my joints excessively (shaft was okay, thou).
I think, if I would have had the engine running, it would at least have been a warm night!

And you are telling me I have to do the same thing again to get to the clutch? Reference, you wrote: "It will [..] require the same [..] path [..] getting to the clutch".

Can I remove the blocking and have the engine running this time? More space, less cold at night.

Cheers, Alx101

---
Hint for the unsure: I am trying to be funny here. No offense towards any member. We are all on the same side, I assume.

I get you North Idaho Wolfman, really appreciate your help here.
Well... Dang... Messed it up again! :oops:
I guess I just figured a seasoned Canadian would have good bottle of antifreeze in his pocket for just such situations! 🥴
I will add it to the list of warnings! ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha