Tractor tire chains

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
So, I'm getting prepared for next winter with my new M6060 4x4 with R4's. My question is, should I chain the front only, rear only or front and rear together for plowing snow? Also, what tire chains do you guys recommend. I have a set of both ice breaker chains and square link chains for a big rig that I could cut down to length to fit the front. They will work fine for width, just to long. Which ones do you suggest front and rear?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
So, I'm getting prepared for next winter with my new M6060 4x4 with R4's. My question is, should I chain the front only, rear only or front and rear together for plowing snow? Also, what tire chains do you guys recommend. I have a set of both ice breaker chains and square link chains for a big rig that I could cut down to length to fit the front. They will work fine for width, just to long. Which ones do you suggest front and rear?
For everything that you might want to know about tire chains (and more), go to tirechains.com.

Much easier to refer you there than to post responses.

SDT

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have chains for the rear that I have used for several years that I purchased from tirechains.com. The one thing I found is that they work fine until ice on the driveway started to build up especially under the snow causing the front end to slide while pushing snow. I have purchased a set for my front tires last year but have not put them on yet, haven't had enough snow and ice yet to need them.

Forest View

Equipment
BX2650 Cab with Loader & BH77 Backhoe, Titan Wood Chipper & York Rake
Feb 8, 2018
Inlet, NY
I purchased my chains from tirechains.com for my rear tires only. Even though I purchased by tire size, I still needed extensions and cross links to get them to fit. Tirechains sent me the extensions and cross links for free & because of the trouble, they sent me an upgraded chain tensioning kit. It took me a while to get the chains cut to right size and adjusting the tensioner. I cut the chain to exact length to fit the back side of the tire, then use the adjustable chain connection on the front to tension. I had to modify the tensions springs so that they would have more tension by using a smaller center ring. Now, I can put the chains on in about 20 minutes. It's good you're doing this during the warmer months.
I find that having the chains on the rear is all that I need. if the tractor drifts slightly when moving snow, I touch one side of the break to pull the front over. I use the the front tire slip, to rotate the tractor in tight spaces by turning the front wheels and breaking one rear wheel hard. I live in the central Adirondack Mountains of NY and we get a good amount of snow. I usually put my chains on in mid-January and remove as soon as possible, usually in early March.

Build yourself crates to store the chains so they dry out and don't rust (much). Easier to carry too.

I use a ballast box and FEL. Thinking about a 3 point blower.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I purchased my chains from tirechains.com for my rear tires only. Even though I purchased by tire size, I still needed extensions and cross links to get them to fit. Tirechains sent me the extensions and cross links for free & because of the trouble, they sent me an upgraded chain tensioning kit. It took me a while to get the chains cut to right size and adjusting the tensioner. I cut the chain to exact length to fit the back side of the tire, then use the adjustable chain connection on the front to tension. I had to modify the tensions springs so that they would have more tension by using a smaller center ring. Now, I can put the chains on in about 20 minutes. It's good you're doing this during the warmer months.
I find that having the chains on the rear is all that I need. if the tractor drifts slightly when moving snow, I touch one side of the break to pull the front over. I use the the front tire slip, to rotate the tractor in tight spaces by turning the front wheels and breaking one rear wheel hard. I live in the central Adirondack Mountains of NY and we get a good amount of snow. I usually put my chains on in mid-January and remove as soon as possible, usually in early March.

Build yourself crates to store the chains so they dry out and don't rust (much). Easier to carry too.

I use a ballast box and FEL. Thinking about a 3 point blower.
Tire chains, especially chains for industrial equipment, are sold to fit multiple tire sizes and modification to fit properly is to be expected.

I have sized multiple sets of tire chains to fit multiple tractors. Doing so takes some time but is worth the effort. Properly sized and installed, the chains will not move and no tensioners, etc., are needed.

SDT

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I spent 38+ years driving big rigs. I have driven on chains well in excess of 5,000 miles. I have chained a truck over 1000 times. I used to teach chaining to new drivers. I have a little experience! I believe in buying good equipment. Ill probably spend over $1500 on rear chains alone.

SAITCHO

Equipment
B26,Tajfun logging winch,Box scraper, Log grapple
Sep 5, 2016
Canada
I have chains on the B26 with r4 tires on the back only. I run trygg euro style studded chains. Do yourself a favor and buy the correct chains dimension or modify the chains. With the right chains you dont need to tight them down.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I started out with front chains because that’s what the neighbor was doing. At times, my rear slid while “practicing”, so I bought rear chains for next year. I don’t know if it will stop that type of slide or not. I was on a little bit of a tilted road when I slid. Btw, my front slid even with chains some while pushing snow. I think that’s just from pushing a little bit too much snow at a time.

My chains are ladder type. Probably not the best choice for ice, but they seem to fit well and work ok. We don’t have a lot of ice. When the sun pops out the ice melts quickly.

I also bought a rear blade for Winter as a backup not that the rear blade can’t be used for other things. The roads and my driveway that I will use the rear blade on are gravel. However, more than likely my tractor will be backup duty. I use my Polaris Ranger midsize to plow. It’s much faster on straight roads and no chains are required. I do think the tractor should be better for moving snow around with a FEL.