Tractor Starts then won't start;Voltage regulator?

eddy20

Equipment
b8200
Jan 28, 2014
temecula, ca
I have a B8200 I think 1987, anyway after sitting it starts and runs great; however after I shut it down it will not start again until after one hour; the starts again? What is my problem? the tractor mechanic said I may need the voltage regulator changed out?

Thanks!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
You will probably need to provide more information. By "won't start" do you mean it won't crank or does it crank but not start? If it won't crank do the lights work?

BR25004X4

Equipment
Kubota B6000 L3901
May 12, 2017
Columbus, NE
You might have the battery checked for a short. My dad had a chevy truck that would do the same thing. It turned out it was the battery when it was hot it wouldn't provide any power once it cooled down it would work fine. Just a thought.

eddy20

Equipment
b8200
Jan 28, 2014
temecula, ca
Starts after being parked for one hour. But if warm or just started and then shut off won't start again for an hour or so; when key is turned it just clicks ounce and the starter does not engage-just one click, turn the key again one click. But this happens even if the tractor is started and runs for 2 minutes or 3 hours. I went to the local Kubota dealer yesterday; the service guys said starter may be getting hot; but then I explained even if only run for two minutes at idle, she won't start again. Then they said maybe ignition switch, stater relay or ???? They want me to bring the tractor to be diagnosed; but that will cost lots of bucks and cause a transport issue. Any other ideas?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
First thing to do is remove the positive and neg. battery cables (both ends). Clean them to a shine. Same with battery post. Clean the metal where the negative attaches to the tractor frame. See what that does.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
As D2Cat said for any battery / starter problem always check the battery and ground connections first.
Second jumper the starter solenoid if accessible. If the the tractor cranks the problem is in the electronics, interlocks, ignition switch, or wiring. If it doesn't crank the problem is the battery, battery cables, starter, or solenoid. Try tapping the starter a couple of times with a hammer. If tapping the starter works, the solenoid is bad and will need replacing.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
My G5200 does a very similar thing.... when warm, the starter may 'click' several times before it catches. (I have to turn the key to 'start' over 5 times before it begins to crank)

In my case, I have eliminated the starter, battery and connections as being the issue. Instead, one of the 'safety switches' (Neutral, PTO.... etc) is not allowing enough current to get to the starter to allow it to engage.

When I jumper all the safety-switches, the starter cranks with no problems.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
BruceP

A tired "STARTER SOLENOID" will display symptoms as you describe. It's "clicking, but not pulling in to make good contact.

Or it could be poor connections anywhere between the battery and the solenoid, including the key switch. You could check for voltage drop with a VOM.

I would go through all the connections and safety switches one by one and find the guilty party.

If it is the solenoid, and not the supply, those are not too costly.