Tractor Mike - Skills lost

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
we live in unprecedented times for sure.

. Everyone's situation is different, but I live by myself and I stay very busy at the house, so going away for more than a couple days is mostly out of the question. I had to do it a few times and each time I had to hire someone to be a caretaker, and it couldn't be just anyone. The one time, I get a call on day #3 that she went in to check on the cat, and opened the door to a floor that was under about an inch of water. Toilet line busted. Wasn't anything I could do but tell the water company to shut the water off. It sat there for another 7 days before I could get in there. Ruined all the floors, sheetrock, just tons and tons of damage and there is still some damage that hasn't been "fixed" (insurance deal...)--
Hey Lug? Wish we were closer - I’m one of the guys you could have called. Bet there’s plenty here on this forum. Nobody lets anyone in their home but I promise I would not have left it to rot out.

Reactions: 1 user

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
There are also folks who have EMBRACED modern electronics in vehicles.

One example is Ivan on "Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics" ( https://www.youtube.com/c/PineHollowAutoDiagnostics )

Ivan uses computers and mechanical skills to succeed where others have failed. He works on tractors, cars and other equipment..... he even makes "house calls".
One of Ivan's best attributes is his analytical mind. His ability to use logic to noodle through acquired data points to track down and isolate the hard to find gremlins is truly amazing. What makes his skillset(s) so valuable is that... he can actually make the repair and test his work.
All I can say is... I am glad I am within easy driving distance of State College, PA.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I've been hooked on some of the youtube channels and now Ivan is going to be another.
My list? Andrew Camarata, Diesel Creek, Watch Wes Work, Weld.com, Fabrication Series to name a few.
There's always something new to learn!

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Part of the problem has been the move from quality products to 'use once,throw away' items. It's hard to find ANY catagory of 'thing', that isn't really JUNK. Due to slick marketting, cheaply made items aren't worth repairing. Anyone here actually FIX their cellphone , TV, kitchen appliances, furnace, car, tools,furniture ?
Since 99.44% of this 'stuff' is so cheap, virtually NONE of it gets repaired, so no one knows HOW to repair it....the 'Mr. Fixit's of the World will be gone way of the dinosaurs......
yup, I'm one of them..even have a Snap-On Alternator tester to prove it....
I have a timing light and a dwell meter I keep around to use on my 8N. But I put the electronic points in that when I changed to 12 volts. .

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Many people have heard and say the Jack of all trades line, but most get it wrong. The complete saying was originally “A jack of all trades is a master of none, but always better than a master of one.”

I think the further you get from the population centers, the more you need to know to get by.
I think there's a lot to be said for that.

I'm not a super-handy guy, but much of what I know is out of necessity.

Whether a 70 year old Moline, 5 year old applicances, or a bunch of other stuff, I proven I can get by.

Reactions: 1 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I've been hooked on some of the youtube channels and now Ivan is going to be another.
My list? Andrew Camarata, Diesel Creek, Watch Wes Work, Weld.com, Fabrication Series to name a few.
There's always something new to learn!
All of those uTube channels are on my regular watchlist. (I do not care for what they call 'entertainment' on regular TV)

Here are some others to consider for your watchlist:

Last edited:

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Erector began about 1913ish, American
Meccano was 1st ! 1896
Yep! Got me on a technicality! Terms - Erector set and Meccano were always interchangeable during my upbringing. But then again we would always Hoover the lounge no matter what brand we were using.

It’s likely Meccano I am thinking of as that has European roots?

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
All of those uTube channels are on my regular watchlist. (I do not care for what they call 'entertainment' on regular TV)

Here are some others to consider for your watchlist:
"Regular TV" Nah, me either...

YES!!!
Big fan of Abom and SouthMain - will check out the others!

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
The plural of Lego is

Ready for it?

Lego

I have a few thousand invested in Lego. Those Technic kits are pretty damned entertaining and take skill to make work. There is a huge bucket excavator sitting on the floor behind me. It actually scoops stuff up and dumps it into a truck.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I think the erector sets gave me ptsd every time I work with loose hardware. Examples would be old german cars, light fixtures, and anything else that has non captive washers. Lincoln logs anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Lincoln logs were my favorite when I was a kid. Used to make toll booths for my hotwheels out of them. Or build a big wall at he end of a track and watch it explode when a car rammed it off the track. LL today are not anything like they used to be, was quite disappointed when I bought a set for my kids and the roof planks were all plastic. I finally found an old set on Ebay that had all the old school pieces including the original squared logs.

Erector sets were awesome too, so many different things to make out of a box of parts, and they didn't have instruction books like they do now, so you learned how to make things from a random box.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Another fan of the old Lincoln logs. Had a set at each grandparent's house and at home. Made many a fort with them for my toy soldiers. I couldn't count how many soldiers died due to a collapse of Lincoln log wall.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My friends had round Lincoln Logs. Mine were square. What about Tinker Toys? Those were good.

Reactions: 2 users