Tractor Hydraulics for Dummies?

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Is there a good textbook or go to web site to learn about tractor hydraulics?

I want to add rear remotes to my older tractors (L3010 and L3710). I read about people installing them in forums like OTT but I never see a parts list. There are different valve types, mechanical and electrical options, etc. I understand the basics but I don't have the feature vocalbulary mastered so I find it difficult to determine what I need to order from a catalog or web site.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I want to add rear remotes to my older tractors (L3010 and L3710). I read about people installing them in forums like OTT but I never see a parts list. There are different valve types, mechanical and electrical options, etc. I understand the basics but I don't have the feature vocalbulary mastered so I find it difficult to determine what I need to order from a catalog or web site.
Not a lot to it:

Your tractor has an open center hydraulic system so you need an open center valve with power beyond capabilty. For rear remotes that would typically be a mechancal valve with levers.

Dan

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The best place to learn about your tractor hydraulics is the WSM. Then go talk to a knowledgeable person at the hydraulic parts supplier and tell them what you want to accomplish and how much money you have to spend.

Frankly there are more options and scenarios than you will ever find in one book.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Possibly the easiest way is to see what Kubota offered as an 'option' ?
See if the online parts finder has them shown ??
If there was/is a dual and triple remote version, get the triple....,cause one day you'll wish you had !

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

You can get all the hydraulic info you need right here just by describing what you want to accomplish. I could and would give you a fairly complete itemized list of parts given a functional description.

The most difficult part of adding remotes to those tractors is deciding how many you want and where you are going to put the valve and outlets. The nuances get worked out after that.

Dan

BotaBonehead

Equipment
Bx25D with LA240 & backhoe, 3-pt box blade, 3-pt pallet forks, 3-pt log splitter
Oct 8, 2022
Canada
You can get all the hydraulic info you need right here just by describing what you want to accomplish. I could and would give you a fairly complete itemized list of parts given a functional description.

The most difficult part of adding remotes to those tractors is deciding how many you want and where you are going to put the valve and outlets. The nuances get worked out after that.

Dan
I just purchased a 3-point log splitter with it's own control. It has only an inlet and outlet on the splitter and I think that I connect them to the Power Beyond pipe and the return to tank connection(pg 51 of the manual), but I don't know if this is correct and the manual says that I can damage things if not connected properly. can someone tell me if this is correct?

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I just purchased a 3-point log splitter with it's own control. It has only an inlet and outlet on the splitter and I think that I connect them to the Power Beyond pipe and the return to tank connection(pg 51 of the manual), but I don't know if this is correct and the manual says that I can damage things if not connected properly. can someone tell me if this is correct?
No - the splitter will work but you wont be able to raise the 3pt. You connect it to the pressure out and pressure return lines. Tank return is not used.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks Dan
I just looked at the image you posted and the terminology is a little screwy. So to be more specific:

You will connect the "outlet hose (tractor)" to the inlet hose on the log splitter valve.
You will connect the outlet hose on the log splitter to the "power beyond pipe (tractor)"

Dan

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Feel free to post the misinformation about hooking up hydraulics. Oh wait, you can't.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Youtube is the best source afaik.

correction:

youtube is the best source of misinformation. I get calls all the time at work. "Well I went onto youtube and they said to do this"....the majority of the time it ends up in the shop needing more now than it did before.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
correction:

youtube is the best source of misinformation. I get calls all the time at work. "Well I went onto youtube and they said to do this"....the majority of the time it ends up in the shop needing more now than it did before.
I went to a shop, and they did the wrong thing once so all shops are worthless. See what I did there?

In any case, we are talking tractor hydraulics. Feel free to post a link to a video that shows how to install tractor hydraulics incorrectly. But, like I said, I won't be waiting because it's probably not going to happen.

Unfortunately for repair shops, there is a lot of good information on YouTube. Feel free to say there isn't. I get it, many shops charge $100 an hour to change light bulbs etc. I don't blame you, but don't blame the rest of us that use our resources.

If I was struggling to make a living, I might pretend everything on YouTube was worthless, too.

BotaBonehead

Equipment
Bx25D with LA240 & backhoe, 3-pt box blade, 3-pt pallet forks, 3-pt log splitter
Oct 8, 2022
Canada
I just looked at the image you posted and the terminology is a little screwy. So to be more specific:

You will connect the "outlet hose (tractor)" to the inlet hose on the log splitter valve.
You will connect the outlet hose on the log splitter to the "power beyond pipe (tractor)"

Dan
Thanks again Dan, I think I’ll have to wait until I can get some UDT fluid to flush out the factory stuff from the cylinder before I try to connect to my tractor.

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Thanks all. LOL--enjoying the youtube is good, youtube is bad discussion.

I looked at the Kubota options. Seems very pricey. Plus, I have read quite a few comments about "leaky valves". I don't know what to make of that.

I plan to add three remotes-get them all in while I am at it. Two would be for a top and tilt setup, the third for future use. This valve (https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra.../3-Spool-Prince-SV-Valve-SV-3-X-BB-9-7556.axd) with the power beyond option probably meets my needs. I wonder if I can replace the joysticks with the kubota joysticks to use the same mount area. I can't find the dimension info for the kubota valves to compare.

I started looking for a good hydraulic shop in my area.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I went to a shop, and they did the wrong thing once so all shops are worthless. See what I did there?

In any case, we are talking tractor hydraulics. Feel free to post a link to a video that shows how to install tractor hydraulics incorrectly. But, like I said, I won't be waiting because it's probably not going to happen.

Unfortunately for repair shops, there is a lot of good information on YouTube. Feel free to say there isn't. I get it, many shops charge $100 an hour to change light bulbs etc. I don't blame you, but don't blame the rest of us that use our resources.

If I was struggling to make a living, I might pretend everything on YouTube was worthless, too.
This is not a binary choice. Lots of stuff on YouTube is excellent. Lots of stuff is marginal if not outright dangerous.
Thanks all. LOL--enjoying the youtube is good, youtube is bad discussion.

I looked at the Kubota options. Seems very pricey. Plus, I have read quite a few comments about "leaky valves". I don't know what to make of that.

I plan to add three remotes-get them all in while I am at it. Two would be for a top and tilt setup, the third for future use. This valve (https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra.../3-Spool-Prince-SV-Valve-SV-3-X-BB-9-7556.axd) with the power beyond option probably meets my needs. I wonder if I can replace the joysticks with the kubota joysticks to use the same mount area. I can't find the dimension info for the kubota valves to compare.

I started looking for a good hydraulic shop in my area.
The Kubota valves are considerably smaller than those SV valve and the handles are called levers - a joystick operates two spools not one.

On the L3710 the factory valves also mount to the side of the transmssion with a custom manifold and end cover that only fits the Kubota valves. How exactly are you planning on mounting and plumbing a third party valve? I have spent a LOT of time on that idea (second and third images) trying to fit aftermarket valves to a L3901. Considerable machine work already expended and its still not 100% done.

Dan

1665428607858.png

20211115_163809.jpg

20211119_160736.jpg