Tractor garages or pole barns...?

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
the county where I live lets you build 120 sq ft buildings without a permit. So people get pretty creative on how many and how close they build their 120 sq ft buildings. If you build them right you get two 120 sq ft buildings with a built in breezeway between them from the roof overhangs. Some properties have a dozen, twenty or more of these smallish buildings. Course having a bunch of small buildings doesn't do much for property value, but that's their choice.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I recently build this shed. It's 40x40x14. I only have $2,860 in it.
(I dunno why it's turned sideways...)
It's sideways because you built it on the cheap. Spend the extra money next time to have it sit upright. :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How are you heating that place up there in Oil City anyway?

jkz

Equipment
2010 L3700SU, mowing, landscaping, snow removal, general grounds use on 5 acres
Aug 7, 2016
Bayfield, CO
Built a 24x32 building for my tractor & man cave/workshop last year. Foundation was a monolithic concrete pour & took 32 yards of concrete. It's heated using a 60K BTU propane garage heater & I keep it at 60 degrees during the winter. This was an expensive build because the HOA required matching the house design & exterior finish materials. I knew that my 2010 L3700SU w/ROPS was the biggest tractor I would ever have and the top of the ROPS clears the 8' tall OH door opening by inches. I only keep the tractor in the building during the cold months. During the warmer months, it's usually got a 5' brush hog on the back (I cut 3 acres of grass) so the total length reaches 21'. Keeping it inside during the colder months is awesome since I'm always ready to go when the snow falls & don't need to worry about keeping that tractor warm & free of snow.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Jealous of you guys with a dedicated Shop or garage.:)

For me, I have to share the attached 2-car garage to house. It has no heat, but seldom freezes, unless we get a good cold snap.

It's pretty tight, especially in the heating season to store wood pellets, but I can usually make it work.

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
the county where I live lets you build 120 sq ft buildings without a permit. So people get pretty creative on how many and how close they build their 120 sq ft buildings. If you build them right you get two 120 sq ft buildings with a built in breezeway between them from the roof overhangs. Some properties have a dozen, twenty or more of these smallish buildings. Course having a bunch of small buildings doesn't do much for property value, but that's their choice.
Geez 12 X 10 is not even a big box stall for 1 horse! 7 feet by 17 and you could squish one small tractor with an implement attached into your 120 sq feet. It would take real creativity all right :rolleyes:

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
the permits/engineering don't come cheap in the county. When I built my workshop, I was out almost $2k before buying a single stick of wood. had to be engineered to the highest earthquake standard, and able to withstand 80+ mph winds. My barn has zero engineering and at times I wonder what's keeping it up, but its been up for ~35+ years.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I am almost finished building a 30' x 52' barn with a loft. Although I could have built it considerably cheaper using pole construction I opted for proper 4' concrete foundation walls. The inspector liked that and told me that with the changes to the chemicals used in pressure treated woods these days they are not lasting very long before rotting. Interestingly I have a pressure treated fence that I installed over 30 years ago using the original arsenic chemicals. I have had to replace some of the posts that were completely rotted below the surface while others are still perfectly fine.

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
I've got some fence posts that look like they were treated with creosote that have been there since the late 1970's. Vast majority are still solid. A few are rotting from the top down.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
the permits/engineering don't come cheap in the county. When I built my workshop, I was out almost $2k before buying a single stick of wood. had to be engineered to the highest earthquake standard, and able to withstand 80+ mph winds. My barn has zero engineering and at times I wonder what's keeping it up, but its been up for ~35+ years.
You live in the wrong area. [emoji6] It cost me $25.00 for the permit. I drew up the plans myself (I am a project manager at an Architectural firm), but there are no inspections in town and most people just do wbat they want. I do cringe with a lot of what I see.

Mike

Haylough

Equipment
L3410
Oct 29, 2016
Rogers, Mn. USA
I haven't seen anybody mention this, my tractor is at hunting property so I needed a more secure place to weather shelter it. So I bought a 40 foot shipping container, so far perfect for my needs. Hope keeps thieves out.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I haven't seen anybody mention this, my tractor is at hunting property so I needed a more secure place to weather shelter it. So I bought a 40 foot shipping container, so far perfect for my needs. Hope keeps thieves out.
I will probably do the same thing next spring, except with a 20' container.

Haylough

Equipment
L3410
Oct 29, 2016
Rogers, Mn. USA
I was debating 20ft or 40. Really glad went with 40, always something to put in there. Fourwheeler, trailer and implements, could really use two forties.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
IMG_2162.jpg

Pole barn came with house. Truck, Kubota, shop w/loft overhead, camper, atv, mower all fit, but getting crowded. Still work in progress, 1/2 concrete 1/2 gravel. Need to insulate too. Run some more wiring. One day after the daughters graduate college.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I was debating 20ft or 40. Really glad went with 40, always something to put in there. Fourwheeler, trailer and implements, could really use two forties.
I'm sure I could fill a 40, but the spot I have to put it will only hold a 20. Because of the available cover, it won't be seen from the cabin, the road, or the neighbor's place.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Best idea, how about 2 high 40's separated by 30' and spanned by trusses and a steel roof...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You must have seen the place around the corner from my cabin, he has that exact setup, sheltering a Yanmar that someone gave him.