Tractor clearing a culvert....

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
As long a run as that is, would liked to have seen how they got the cable through there before attaching the tire. Maybe push a pipe through first to fish the cable through?

Reactions: 1 users

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
If I tried that the cable would break when the tire was half way through.
Pretty good idea though.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I am more new school. As a tax payer I would call the highway dept and ask them to clean the culvert. If they do not respond in a reasonable time the highway super can expect to see me at the town board meeting. Elected people really hate to have to put in the public record that they neglected an active voter.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If I tried that the cable would break when the tire was half way through.
Pretty good idea though.

Take a look at the size of that cable. I think you'd pull the culvert out before you'd break that thing!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Take a look at the size of that cable. I think you'd pull the culvert out before you'd break that thing!
That’s what I was thinking when I saw it. With my luck and our red clay, it would probably get to about the middle and find a dry spot where the clay was set up like concrete, the whole culvert would pull out, and I’d have a giant wind chime on an oversized string. Then my 30 minute $0 chore would turn into a 2 day $$$$ project.

Was seriously thinking if I ever try that (and I might since we have some culverts that aren’t serviced by DOT) I’d want an equally stout cable/chain on the other side of the tire following it in so I could pull it back out if things went poorly.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I asked to have neighbour's culvert cleaned out after city 'repaved' our road. Guy says ,yes, do it next week..
That was 3 YEARS ago. So, I grabbed 50 buckets of crusher run and filled in the ditches on both side of her driveway. She loves being able to turn into her driveway without fear of losing 1/2 her van in the ditch !

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I've cleared a few with a couple lengths of drillers pipe. Stuck it in, used the BH to push it through. Cleared the ditches and subsequent rains rinsed the balance of debris out.
The drillers pipe works well as the only resistance is the pipe wall thickness. The hollow of the pipe carries some of the debris, which is loose and rinsed out easy with a hose (kids love to do this chore!)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That’s what I was thinking when I saw it. With my luck and our red clay, it would probably get to about the middle and find a dry spot where the clay was set up like concrete, the whole culvert would pull out, and I’d have a giant wind chime on an oversized string. Then my 30 minute $0 chore would turn into a 2 day $$$$ project.

Was seriously thinking if I ever try that (and I might since we have some culverts that aren’t serviced by DOT) I’d want an equally stout cable/chain on the other side of the tire following it in so I could pull it back out if things went poorly.
I think if I was going to try that method I'd find a tire that was flexible and appropriate size to be sure to fit into the culvert. A smaller tire would allow some material in the culvert to stay there if too much resistance, yet still open thing up.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I am more new school. As a tax payer I would call the highway dept and ask them to clean the culvert. If they do not respond in a reasonable time the highway super can expect to see me at the town board meeting. Elected people really hate to have to put in the public record that they neglected an active voter.
I'm not so sure about that. Some seem to wear it as a badge.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL

Redneck ingenuity, I call it.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
If you can blow air through the culvert, get some light string and tie some plastic bags loosely enough to catch air and blow the line through. That how we used to do it - even if it’s submerged it would work. That culvert looked pretty blocked though.

Reactions: 1 users