Tractor advice needed for two small farms

shirazdrum

Jul 13, 2013
Paraguay
Hi guys,

My name is Chris and I’m new here. I’m an American expat living in South America and would love to pick your brain a little.

In Paraguay, farming is still done by medieval tools and seeing a tractor on a small farm is like Bigfoot sighting. As the result, the job is back breaking, hours are long, and production low, even though the soil is as fertile as it gets.

I have never seen Kubota down here or any other JDM for that matter, and the dominant brands here are John Deere, and Massey Ferguson and the prices are triple of what you would pay in North America. Those who have tractors are the super rich, and they grow only one crop, Soy.

I have two 50 acres farms down here that are traditionally cultivated and I would like to modernize a bit. I grow vegetables exclusively and I have no need for big tractors, and Kubota compact tractors seem to be ideal. They will be used for plowing, tilling, harvesting root vegetables, and general pushing and pulling.

As for the landscape, these farms are flat to semi hilly but nothing steep. 4x4 is a must as it rains a lot here and mud could become a problem.

I’m thinking of buying 6 tractors of same brand and same model for these farms as every part has to be imported and if I only have to stock one kind of parts it would be much cheaper and easier for me.

I’m hoping to not spend more than $6000 per tractor. What model do you recommend?

Importation agricultural equipment has no restriction and no import tax so it makes sense to buy direct from Japan. Do you have any numbers or information for reputable Japanese tractor dealers?

Thanks a million in advance and I hope to be able to contribute to this forum very soon.

Cheers,

Chris

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like a interesting plan and I wish you luck. I wouldn't even know where you would start for such a task. It seems near to imposible to ever find 6 tractors the same model in that price range. Keep us posted with your progress.