Tractor advice for 40+ acers

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Well unless your stepping up your posted budget it’s gonna be hard to find anything but a tym or mahindra that’s mid sized for 10-15k and not beat to poop. mahindra 2017 emax25? Looks like a emax25s and 25l are available. S model only ran 2017-2019 and the L is still being produced. Both different motors.

Attachments

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Well we just moved from rual upstate NY to KY. Got sick of the weather and liberal bs. No way i was towing a 1960 somthing tractor 800+ miles to ky. Plus it didnt have a loader or backhoe , i used it for brush hogging and fire wood up home. Where i am at its hilly, the hills arnt as big height wise but much more steep. Plus i owned mostly pasture up home and now its 98% woods. A tractor that size on my current property would be a pita. After looking at new sub compacts i feel they are much to small, and that a compact would be the right choice.
I'll put a plug in for my L35, I paid $14k a few years ago. The loader is non-removable, but the backhoe is. I've never used the 3ph since we have another tractor for mowing, grading, etc. But I think it would be fine with a 5' bush hog, tiller, etc. It's been very useful for maintaining trails, digging stumps, etc. in my trees.

My nephew recently bought an L3600 with loader and GlideShift transmission, but no backhoe.

Both of these are well-used, but if you're used to keeping a 1960's machine running, you shouldn't have any real surprises. One concern would be stability. My L35 isn't as stable on hillsides as our Ford 3930, even with the Ford's wheels pulled in to clear its 6' cutter.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Looks like it’s the s series of it a 2017. the emax 25hst ended 2016. But both used the Daedong 1.0 diesel motor. The newest is the L series that started in 2019 and has a Kukje 1.2l 3-cyl diesel.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Suggestion..
Rent a BX23S for a day or two from dealer or Home Depot. Both here charge $300 a 'day' for 8 hours on the clock of use. YOU will get a REAL idea how well it'll work for you, on YOUR land doing the chores YOU need it to.

Reactions: 5 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Well we just moved from rual upstate NY to KY. Got sick of the weather and liberal bs. No way i was towing a 1960 somthing tractor 800+ miles to ky. Plus it didnt have a loader or backhoe , i used it for brush hogging and fire wood up home. Where i am at its hilly, the hills arnt as big height wise but much more steep. Plus i owned mostly pasture up home and now its 98% woods. A tractor that size on my current property would be a pita. After looking at new sub compacts i feel they are much to small, and that a compact would be the right choice.
Gotcha…makes more sense than what I was thinking. Congratulations on the new property. The way I read first post I maybe I misunderstood…I think your thought towards a compact is not without merit.

Since you have had a utility tractor already I would agree with greensvillejay and rent or better yet if dealer would let you demo. I think if you have some large trees down, trying to process one would give a great idea what size matches your expectations.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
For the $$ you want to spend I think the bx23s would do what you want.

I have dug stumps successfully with a cheap towable backhoe, so it can be done if you take your time and don't try and push past the machines limits. You could also get a stump grinder if you wanted, but they are pretty pricey.

You say the property is 47 acres, but from the items you listed it doesn't sound like you will be doing constant maintenance on a lot of it. Just as needed stuff.

Do you enjoy tractor work and do you have time to do it? I ask because the biggest difference between a BX and something like a B (or bigger) is the time it takes to complete a task.

A BX will handle a 4' brushog and a small tiller. May want to invest in a ripper for the backhoe to cut through stump roots. They sell underbelly protection to save your HST fan.

I have a BX2200 and have used it for a bunch of stuff. Really just limited by your imagination (and always think safety).

One question you could ask yourself is are you going to be doing large scale projects. An example would be that I till with mine and it does great for the garden and putting in food plots. I wouldn't have an issue tilling 1/2 acre with it, but I probably wouldn't want to do 2-3 acres.

If that is the $$ you have to spend the BX with a backhoe is 100x better than trying to do those type of jobs with hand tools.

caleb90

Sep 17, 2023
Ky
So after looking high and low for used then looking at new. I ended with a new tym t25 with loader and backhoe. 23,400 otd. I like it, heavy built. But you get what you pay for thats for sure. Just alot of small issues ive found. Wiring routing, some minor fit and finish that i adjusted, had to go through entire backhoe and tighten everthing(blame that on the dealer) alot of the stuff most people wouldnt have noticed. Being a mechanic i tend to pick my new stuff apart and make it how i like it. My biggest grip is the chinsy bucket on the loader. Scooped up a stump i dug out with the backhoe and it put a nice bow in the center on the cutting edge. Dealer wont do any thing about it even though it only has 18hrs on it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So after looking high and low for used then looking at new. I ended with a new tym t25 with loader and backhoe. 23,400 otd. I like it, heavy built. But you get what you pay for thats for sure. Just alot of small issues ive found. Wiring routing, some minor fit and finish that i adjusted, had to go through entire backhoe and tighten everthing(blame that on the dealer) alot of the stuff most people wouldnt have noticed. Being a mechanic i tend to pick my new stuff apart and make it how i like it. My biggest grip is the chinsy bucket on the loader. Scooped up a stump i dug out with the backhoe and it put a nice bow in the center on the cutting edge. Dealer wont do any thing about it even though it only has 18hrs on it.
Congratulations on a new tractor!
Yup: Most times, ya gets what ya paid for.
Seems like you may have the talent though, to fix, and stiffen that cutting edge.

caleb90

Sep 17, 2023
Ky
Should be able to fix it. Just ordered a 72"x4"x1/2" cutting edge. This is the root ripper i made with scrap i had laying around. Yeah its just stupid little stuff for the most part. A comparable kubota was almost 10g more

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
Let us know how your little tractor serves you please. My guess is you will out grow it in a year or two and want something heavier. Ask me how I know? LOL!

caleb90

Sep 17, 2023
Ky
Well that didnt last long. 20hrs on machine and its back at the dealer. Fuel tank split, gauge cluster rpm needle readin random rpm, pto sounds like a can of marbles when you engage it, bucket stops on the loader arms arnt welded equal on each side causing the tilt cylinders to rack and twist the whole loader frame, loader mounting frames are bent past 90° causing very little mounting pin contact. plus i had to go through entire tractor after it was delivered. As all the backhoe bolts were loose, missing hardwear, stripped bolts in the rops, stripped bolts on the seat frame, low hydraulic fluid, battery hold down was loose. Had to get tym HQ involved and fight for a week to get the tractor picked up. Its obvious i got a lemon, but how hard i had to fight for support has me worried as to what i got myself into

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I used to mow 10acer with my old b414 with a 6ft unit.

I got one of these for mowing.

Neat concept, just screw it on the bed, and the grass gets cut.

Kind of pricey though.

1700306905290.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Well that didnt last long. 20hrs on machine and its back at the dealer. Fuel tank split, gauge cluster rpm needle readin random rpm, pto sounds like a can of marbles when you engage it, bucket stops on the loader arms arnt welded equal on each side causing the tilt cylinders to rack and twist the whole loader frame, loader mounting frames are bent past 90° causing very little mounting pin contact. plus i had to go through entire tractor after it was delivered. As all the backhoe bolts were loose, missing hardwear, stripped bolts in the rops, stripped bolts on the seat frame, low hydraulic fluid, battery hold down was loose. Had to get tym HQ involved and fight for a week to get the tractor picked up. Its obvious i got a lemon, but how hard i had to fight for support has me worried as to what i got myself into
Man, that’s a bummer. It seems to normal to have to go through and tighten bolt and maybe add some fluids, but definitely sounds like there was big issue when they were assembling it.

You would think that purchasing a new tractor would at least save you from issues for a while.

Hope that fix things for you

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Oh boy, good luck!