Tow strap recommendation for tree removal?

HarperHollow'sGhost

Equipment
L4760 (2020) 47hp HST, 3 rear remotes with Top-and-Tilt, LA1055 with 3rd functi
Jun 4, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Thanks for the insights all! You have convinced me that I need to invest in some arborist rope and snatch blocks.

Reactions: 1 user

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Personally I strongly prefer chain over straps or cables. I'd just get a 20' length of chain; coupled with what you've got you'll have 30'.

Chain doesn't fray and then have wires that can poke you like a cable. Chain isn't as easily damaged when pulled along the ground like a cable or strap, especially if it gets rolled under a log that's being pulled. And good chain doesn't have the same elasticity of a strap or cable. I've seen logging chain break; it just fell to the ground.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Personally I strongly prefer chain over straps or cables. I'd just get a 20' length of chain; coupled with what you've got you'll have 30'.

Chain doesn't fray and then have wires that can poke you like a cable. Chain isn't as easily damaged when pulled along the ground like a cable or strap, especially if it gets rolled under a log that's being pulled. And good chain doesn't have the same elasticity of a strap or cable. I've seen logging chain break; it just fell to the ground.
(y)

Rope can be useful for a variety of things....BUT for the task at hand, I must agree with you.

Chain would be what I would use to dislodge the tree top.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
(y)

Rope can be useful for a variety of things....BUT for the task at hand, I must agree with you.

Chain would be what I would use to dislodge the tree top.
Agreed, rope is handy for a lot of things. While ratchet straps are the go-to for most people these days for securing the smallest of things, I tend to use rope. But for pulling logs, you really can't beat a chain for a variety of reasons.

Linstrum

Premium Member

Equipment
L3400HST with BH76 backhoe, L2501HST, B7100HST, B7100DT, all with fel's. Cat D4D
Sep 2, 2023
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Agreed, rope is handy for a lot of things. While ratchet straps are the go-to for most people these days for securing the smallest of things, I tend to use rope. But for pulling logs, you really can't beat a chain for a variety of reasons.
I'm coming in on this pretty late. There are some pretty good responses here regarding safety! Ropes and straps are inherently dangerous because of stored energy when things suddenly let loose, where the tractor operator may be directly in line with the rope or strap. Kind of like dispatching flies with a rubber band, for those who may have used that method in lieu of a flyswatter. As well, when whatever is being pulled-on lets loose, it can come flying back along with the rope or strap, too. Using a snatch block helps get the operator away from a falling tree, but not flying ropes and straps. I use chains, but the downside of chains are they are heavy when getting up a tree. They are expensive, too, and subject to theft. I use DOT chains - Department of Transportation approved cargo chains. Cheap chains break easily, so get high strength heat treated chains, and keep them padlocked and put away. Ask me how I know this stuff. One more thing, be careful WHERE you attach chains to your tractor, use the point described in the owner's manual, and be careful nothing ever comes up against the power take off stub shaft - ever.

You'd be surprised about how often someone over-estimates how long a chain is, while underestimating how tall a tree is, and ends up running to get out of the way from the top of the tree while it is coming down!

In the last 55 years since I got out of high school, I've tried to learn a few things from those who came before me!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."