Toro Reel Mower acting weird

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
We have a reel mower we cut athletic fields with here at school, a toro reelmaster 2600-D with a 3 cyl perkins diesel, run and cuts like a champ.

Our athletic director typically cuts grass, she seems to work too hard doing that....thats another long story...

anyway - she came to me say that the mower was "hopping" in the forward movement, mmmm, hopping .....

This mower has a 7' triple reel deck(s) and EVERYTHING is hydraulically operated, the "hst" and the reels and the up and down movement is all hydraulically driven.

SO - I get on it , fire it up (engine runs perfectly) and there is no movement forward, rev ....nothing! The lever that makes the reals engage....nothing, the lever that makes the reels lift....nothing. There are no strange noises, no pump squeal ......nothing.

So......a day passes, and I am assuming that the pump is shot - and waiting for it to get fixed is like waiting for N Korea to play nice!

Then I see the mower has been moved about 20 feet - I know moving it without the bypass is not good......

so yesterday - I get on it, fire it up and it moves, and cuts as IF nothing has happened.......

SO I am perplexed to say the least.

She told me that she ran it for a long time when it started to hop.......then it sat 24 and did not work.
It has not been near freezing here at all.
The fluid and filters have NOT been changed in ......last couple hundred hours I know ( maintenance is something that does not get done - other than me changing the engine oil and greasing it twice a year)

I looked up the manual and did a search .....cant find anything related to the problem.

My only thoughts are there is an electrical overload-overheat relay that cut out and somehow stopped all fluid flow - I have no proof that "switch" exists btw............ or the pump was sucking air......

anyone have any thoughts as where to "look"

here are some pictures of the ol girl!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
How do the hydraulics engage for the reels? Is it controlled by an electric clutch or valve? Last time the hydraulics were serviced? Is there a filter screen on the bottom of the hydraulic tank for the intake side of the hydraulic pump?

Last, you'll probably won't know :rolleyes: is the hydraulic pump vane or gear driven? If vane drive, the vanes could be worn out or sticking.

Nice thing is, by the looks of the hydraulic pump. It should be able to be rebuilt by a hydraulic repair shop.

I know, lots of questions :p:p

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Found this link to the service manual. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...U_FJq0lGTpLBIN4WQ&sig2=C3JlfwGVfW93Wcb9agdr3g

Looks like there are two pumps. One coupled to the other. And runs off from an electric clutch and is belt driven. At least that's what I picked up from the reading.

So it looks like either an electric clutch issue (possibly opc sensor) or belt slipping issue. Wouldn't hurt to change the hydraulic oil and filters as well. :)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"So it looks like either an electric clutch issue (possibly opc sensor) or belt slipping issue. Wouldn't hurt to change the hydraulic oil and filters as well"

I am hoping this gets done!!