Tooth bar vs. bucket expander

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
I'm leaning towards adding the Piranha tooth bar to my soon to be delivered BX25D but am also interested in the bucket expander too. It looks like if I had to choose one it would be the tooth bar but how much hassle would it be to switch them now and then? It really looks like it should be an either/or situation since its likely I'd need both of them on the same job at times. I guess I'm sold on the tooth bar for my needs but wondering if getting a bucket expander would be a dumb idea. Any thoughts?

Also I was comtemplating a backhoe dolly since I'll have a chipper and a post hole digger but I'll most likely only use those for specific jobs and put the backhoe right back on for storage. Should I save the $250 and invest it in my local brewery instead?

T.I.A.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Is it worth it to you to go with a quick disconnect and a second bucket? If you use them both enough that would solve your problem.

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
Is it worth it to you to go with a quick disconnect and a second bucket? If you use them both enough that would solve your problem.
That's something to consider. I'll go with the tooth bar and if I feel a need for a bigger bucket I'll look into a second bucket. I see from the video that the bucked expander is quickly installed and removed. I'm not sure what the tooth bar involves.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I went with the dolly, just cause I wont use it much and I use the Bx25D to mow my 3 acres. I could mow the FEL and backhoe, and have, but its hard to get in the tight spots and bounces all over the place. Also with my other 3pt attachments, it just made since. That backhoe is a beast and that dolly sure makes it mobile when needed.

A toothbar is next on my list. Then a PHD, Then.....the list never stops:D

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Unless there's something different on the BX series, the factory bucket weight capacity is pretty well matched to the hydraulics and tractor weight. I used a home-brew extension for light materials on a B series. Dry mulch worked OK, but the added weight of wet mulch was overdoing it. You said you think you'll want the tooth bar and bucket expander for the same projects. That sounds like you're planning on using the BE for dirt. Maybe someone with direct experience can say how that works. My first impression would be that you should expand the whole tractor (to a B or L) if the bucket is deemed too small before you even have it delivered.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would ( and have done so ) get the toothbar! The bucket extender may be nice, buttttt...if you cut into a nice pile of dirt or gravel, tilt 'er back and fill it all the way up, you are going to find that it is a lot more on the BX! The tooth bar actually allows you to carry at bit more, the cutting edge is amazing and extends the edge out to the point you need to watch for - your car! small trees, oh hell big trees! It requires two 3/4 holes drilled into the side of the bucket and is maybe the best money spend for you BX. I do not ever see me taking it off. As for the dolly......DO you not have a concrete floor? as much as it would be nice to own the dolly, I would think you could back it up on a flat hard surface and unhook. If I had a concrete floor, I would have made a dolly, even out of wood! ( 2 x 8's and a few castors)
I don't think I would buy one, even though I am sure it is a wonderful piece of equipment. Just my 2¢