Tool box add-on MX5400 and intro

jermz2021

Equipment
MX5400
Nov 27, 2021
Michigan
Hi all, couldn't find a "here's where you put your first post", so here's mine. I'm in Northern Michigan.
This is my first tractor. MX5400. 9 hours at this point. Have been very happy with it.
Using for grading, pushing trees over, pulling up saplings and basically whatever strikes me as moveable at the time.
Also have a LandPride box blade. 72"
Bucket cutting edge. Standard.
Added a $7 tool box from Family Farm. Pretty impressive mod to this tractor. See pic. Hold on to your shorts.
I figure if it gets busted off, I pick up the parts and find a different solution. Used some well oversized washers on both sides of the box.

Playing around on 15 acres in Northern Michigan.

If this "intro" should have been posted elsewhere - let me know.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hi all, couldn't find a "here's where you put your first post", so here's mine. I'm in Northern Michigan.
This is my first tractor. MX5400. 9 hours at this point. Have been very happy with it.
Using for grading, pushing trees over, pulling up saplings and basically whatever strikes me as moveable at the time.
Added a $7 tool box from Family Farm. Pretty impressive mod to this tractor. See pic. Hold on to your shorts.
I figure if it gets busted off, I pick up the parts and find a different solution. Used some well oversized washers on both sides of the box.

Welcome and congratulations on your new tractor. I’m anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new MX6000 on Wednesday.

jermz2021

Equipment
MX5400
Nov 27, 2021
Michigan
Welcome and congratulations on your new tractor. I’m anxiously awaiting the delivery of my new MX6000 on Wednesday.
Nice. It was difficult to find ANYTHING here... as I'm sure it has been in other areas. I randomly landed the MX5400 after someone backed out of the deal. Congrats.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Nice. It was difficult to find ANYTHING here... as I'm sure it has been in other areas. I randomly landed the MX5400 after someone backed out of the deal. Congrats.
That’s exactly how I was able to buy the tractor. I was actually looking for a mx5400, but the 6000 was available and I took it.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Good day. Did your tractor not come with the grey one from Kubota that is mounted in the same location normally? If you zoom in you c an see what I am referring to. All three Ks that I have had had a tool box behind the seat in the ROPs lower cross support on delivery. When the BH was installed on the MX, dealer moved the box to subframe under the floorboard.

Attachments

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I to am pretty new to Kubota tractors but it seems most people move the tool/pin box. I’m in Canada and have the m21 loader on my m7060 and they put the box originally behind the subframe of the loader. You couldn’t even see in it and barley open the two tabs. Needless to say it was the first thing I changed.

Attachments

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Canada Eh…unbelievable.
I to am pretty new to Kubota tractors but it seems most people move the tool/pin box. I’m in Canada and have the m21 loader on my m7060 and they put the box originally behind the subframe of the loader. You couldn’t even see in it and barley open the two tabs. Needless to say it was the first thing I changed.
Canada unbelievable… I am watching your Canada show ‘Brojects’ as I type. Good day. That is a mighty sweet ride ya got there. I wish kubota had a flat fender and place to mount a bigger box and a saw. I’ve seen lots of ideas for home remedies but a flat fender should would help. I wish they put lights up higher than where the bucket rides too. Have a safe day.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I plan on making a ballast weight that also acts as a larger tool box and places for saws and chain and such. With it being winter I just leave the blower on so it will be a snow day project. Would have been nice for a larger box to be added by Kubota but to be honest I also had trouble finding a place to put the box aside from where I did. I didn’t want to drill any holes into loader or tractor so I wanted to use existing bolt hole locations.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I plan on making a ballast weight that also acts as a larger tool box and places for saws and chain and such. With it being winter I just leave the blower on so it will be a snow day project. Would have been nice for a larger box to be added by Kubota but to be honest I also had trouble finding a place to put the box aside from where I did. I didn’t want to drill any holes into loader or tractor so I wanted to use existing bolt hole locations.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m planning to replace the small plastic Kubota box with a larger steel ammo box mounted in the same location.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Very nice indeed. Enjoy the new machine. Now get a spud wrench and a pair of knipex adjustable pliers for it! Some extra 3pt pins and bushings are also helpful. Oh and a can of spray lithium grease and a hard rubber mallet or 3lb sledge.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Ya I had the ammo cans on my old Ford 5600 and they worked pretty good. Moisture was a bit of an issue though. No problems if you don’t work in the rain but I do and once those box’s got wet you had to empty and hand dry them. Again I live in Canada so moisture is always present. I was going to add one to the m7060 but every place I thought about putting it obstructed my vision or wasn’t practical. I’ve decided to make brackets that will hold the ammo can and could easily be removed and put on another attachment or any place I put a bracket. I’ll be starting a dedicated m7060 mod page once I have a few more under my belt. I’ve got a few pretty good ones in mind. I tent to mod everything lol

Stay tuned.

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
rubber mallet or 3lb sledge.
Oh I’m a steel sledge kinda guy. If I don’t want to hurt it I’ll use a block of wood. If that is still to much you won’t find it on my tractor cause it would already be broken. I’m also really heavy on the grease so that helps with the hammering.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE

Welcome to the forum. Glad your enjoying your MX-5400. I bought a MX-6000 back in June. It had a factory tool box were you mounted yours. Have used it out here on the farm all summer and fall mowing and doing a lot of spot spraying. So far the MX-6000 has been flawless. We are mostly Green on the farm so folks around here are surprised I bought a Orange tractor.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Ya I had the ammo cans on my old Ford 5600 and they worked pretty good. Moisture was a bit of an issue though. No problems if you don’t work in the rain but I do and once those box’s got wet you had to empty and hand dry them. Again I live in Canada so moisture is always present. I was going to add one to the m7060 but every place I thought about putting it obstructed my vision or wasn’t practical. I’ve decided to make brackets that will hold the ammo can and could easily be removed and put on another attachment or any place I put a bracket. I’ll be starting a dedicated m7060 mod page once I have a few more under my belt. I’ve got a few pretty good ones in mind. I tent to mod everything lol

Stay tuned.
I’ve seen some ammo cans that have a rubber gasket seal in the lid. I’m going to look for one of those.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I’ve seen some ammo cans that have a rubber gasket seal in the lid. I’m going to look for one of those.
I think all the steel ammo cans do it’s opening it when raining or putting wet chains or other stuff inside that I found to be the issue.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois

You're going to love the MX5400. I have had mine for almost a year (200hrs) and I am very pleased with power, maneuverability, reliability, serviceability and just about any other aspect of this tractor. Its interesting that you have chosen to improve on one of the few short comings of this machine....the tool box. If I was to change anything about the Tractor at delivery, it would be the toolbox. I haven't done it yet but plan to soon. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois

You might want to look into one of these too. Especially if you have a grapple or do extensive FEL work. I'm very careful but already have a couple of deep scratches on the guard that would otherwise be on my grill.
tempImageLV3fFO.jpg
tempImageLV3fFO.jpg
tempImageLV3fFO.jpg
tempImageLV3fFO.jpg

jermz2021

Equipment
MX5400
Nov 27, 2021
Michigan
You might want to look into one of these too. Especially if you have a grapple or do extensive FEL work. I'm very careful but already have a couple of deep scratches on the guard that would otherwise be on my grill.
View attachment 70737 View attachment 70737 View attachment 70737 View attachment 70737
Good call on that grill guard, or grill guard protection I guess. In about my first hour of using the thing I realized I'd need a guard or I'm going to damage the front. Ordered the mesh version through Lown a ~ week ago. Looking forward to it arriving. I was going to modify the grill guard myself, but for a couple hundred bucks I took the easy way.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Good call on that grill guard, or grill guard protection I guess. In about my first hour of using the thing I realized I'd need a guard or I'm going to damage the front. Ordered the mesh version through Lown a ~ week ago. Looking forward to it arriving. I was going to modify the grill guard myself, but for a couple hundred bucks I took the easy way.
C006B426-A5C9-4F34-8072-893507C10AA6.jpeg
B4DC2E6A-5E92-4AD5-B7CA-07E6AC8B8C27.jpeg

I took the easy way too.

Reactions: 1 users