Too Hot to Handle!

Mitymelvin``

Equipment
2021 Kubota B2601HST-1 LA435 Quick-Tach Loader
Apr 3, 2021
Lenoir, NC
Hello all, I have a B7200HST. I have had it close to 20 years. I recently bought a lot and started clearing the underbrush with my bushhog. After working the tractor for a few hours at 2500RPM, I noticed a high-pitched noise coming from the engine compartment. It was the radiator cap whistling as it purged coolant. My question is about fitment of a reservoir bottle. Is there one available that is supposed to be there? I know there has not been one on it since I purchased it. Ive just never worked it this hard. I dont want to hurt the engine by over heating it. After it cooled down, I added quite a bit of coolant to top it back up. Just wondered how you guys would handle this situation

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I cleaned the radiator pre screen, which was clogged with broom sage seeds. That seemed to help some

That is a good place to start cleaning - but the radiator has collected everything the prescreen did NOT catch.

Time to clean the radiator ......compressed air from the inside out!

Reactions: 1 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
On my B7200 HST I seldom have it over 2000 rpm even when operating my 4' bush hog. Always felt that any more than that I was overworking the engine. Have had mine since new. The only time I have ever boiled the rad was when it was plugged with dandelion blossoms.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Several things to try…

A universal coolant reservoir bottle…
I believe you want the unpressurized version,

I would toss in two Bars Leak Tablets, to scour the system…

Longer oil filter is Baldwin B1431 or Luberfiner LF486…
Hard to find, however…

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hello all, I have a B7200HST. I have had it close to 20 years. I recently bought a lot and started clearing the underbrush with my bushhog. After working the tractor for a few hours at 2500RPM, I noticed a high-pitched noise coming from the engine compartment. It was the radiator cap whistling as it purged coolant. My question is about fitment of a reservoir bottle. Is there one available that is supposed to be there? I know there has not been one on it since I purchased it. Ive just never worked it this hard. I dont want to hurt the engine by over heating it. After it cooled down, I added quite a bit of coolant to top it back up. Just wondered how you guys would handle this situation
In this type of condition, you should be cleaning the screen every hour or so and if the coolant temp is still running high, take the time to blow out the radiator with compressed air.
Adding a surge tank will not make the tractor run any cooler, it will just catch some of the coolant that is being lost.
Installing a larger oil filter will not lower the engine operating temp and adding a sealer will just exacerbate the overheating problem.
Keeping the airflow through the radiator is your only option.

Reactions: 1 users

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
take the time to blow out the radiator
Keeping the airflow through the radiator is your only option.
I carry a battery operated leaf blower on the machine when the chaff and goldenrod get bad. Easier than a ride back to the barn with the air compressor every 1/2 hour.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
No overflow on mine. It regularly runs 2500 for hours without overheating as long as the screen and radiator are clean and coolant is topped up. It does lose coolant so I have to monitor the level pretty closely.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
NOOOO on Bars Leak or any type of “plugging” or “congealing” leak stops. They only reduce cooling capacity…and insufficient cooling is the problem…not a leak anyway.

An external reservoir will not solve an overheating condition caused by radiator blockage or pump problems. The method of operation of a reservoir is this: A non-reservoir cooling system has “ullage”… air trapped above the liquid level of the radiator-tank. This allows for expansion of the coolant as it heats up. (If your radiator tank is filled to the “brim” it will overlfow and lose the excess…and you will have ullage by natural action. This is unavoidable with those systems.)

A coolant reservoir is actually better named a “coolant recovery tank”….. and is intended to capture that coolant expelled during hot operations….and as the machine cools back down after shut-down…the excess coolant is sent back to the cooling/contracting fluid in the radiator-tank. In this fashion the radiator tank is always Full of fluid….and a small advantage is gained in cooling-capacity.

But adding a reservoir, while a good aftermarket modification in my opinion, will not solve the overheating problem caused by grass in your radiator.

Reactions: 1 user