Too Cold Here

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Supposed to be some type of alcohol mix in these tires. One frozen, one not? Been way below normal here for the last week or so. Third winter for this rig and this is a first... Guess I'll pull it into the shop tomorrow to thaw...

Last edited:

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The liquid inside the tires may not actually be frozen solid. It may be that it is still liquid (lower freezing point than water) but well below the freezing temperature of moisture in the air. Sort of the same as if you put an empty glass in the freezer for awhile and then bring it out into a warmer room. Ice forms all over the glass. I can't explain that it did it to only one tire unless one was more protected than the other.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The liquid inside the tires may not actually be frozen solid. It may be that it is still liquid (lower freezing point than water) but well below the freezing temperature of moisture in the air. Sort of the same as if you put an empty glass in the freezer for awhile and then bring it out into a warmer room. Ice forms all over the glass. I can't explain that it did it to only one tire unless one was more protected than the other.
Could be, but weird that the other side didn't do this?. I'll check out tomorrow.

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
are you sure you have liquid in the other tire. both my tires on my david brown did this in very cold weather. they were load with calcium.

When I got my tractor, only one tire was loaded, not sure why someone would do that though.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
How cold did it get?

Try a rubber mallet to see if its solid?

I also remember calcium filled tires with frost on them, but it was very cold (well below 0?), and they were brought in the warm barn with 100 cows in it. They generate a lot of humidity. Same theory as the frosted glass mentioned before.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
My tires are calcium filled and I have had frost on the out sides a number of times but the calcium inside has never frozen.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
are you sure you have liquid in the other tire. both my tires on my david brown did this in very cold weather. they were load with calcium.
Yes, the other tire is filled. It's just wet up to the water line.

How cold did it get?

Try a rubber mallet to see if its solid?

I also remember calcium filled tires with frost on them, but it was very cold (well below 0?), and they were brought in the warm barn with 100 cows in it. They generate a lot of humidity. Same theory as the frosted glass mentioned before.
Down around zero several mornings and not above freezing during the day for the last 7-8 days.

After another look, I don't think it's frozen solid.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Loaded tires with calcium chloride will frost up on the outside when the temperature and humidity is just right. Have seen that happen many times over the last 40 years.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, the other tire is filled. It's just wet up to the water line.

Down around zero several mornings and not above freezing during the day for the last 7-8 days.

After another look, I don't think it's frozen solid.
Still odd that one frosted, but not the other?