Today and Tomorrow's Work Force

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Last year got a 15-year-old to do my trimming. First time in 31 years.

Lot of what is needed is steep and I just got to the point where I played hell for it for days....

Good kid and did a great job. I paid him ~ $20/hour, but it amounted to $50 per visit as he took about 2 hours.

I (used) to do all trimming in an hour.

He came back for first time this year today.

Asked if he could bring a friend to help.....sure, I have two big Stihl trimmers.

It took the two of them 2 hours to do what I did in one.....so 4 hours cost me $100 @ $50 each.

Granted, they're good young boys, and respective of my equipment. They were here when they said they would be.

I shouldn't be complaining for many reasons. They're both looking to save $$ to buy a car. Both said mom/dad haven't bought cars for their older siblings.

Both did a better job than I did, but geez a 1:4 ratio is stark.... :oops:
Failing healrh and I am trying to do exactly that right now. The pros I have talked to want $50/hour,/man, minimum of two men for 8 hours. Send those boys my way.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
1=2 hours. 2=2 hours(x2). They have a future with the highway department for sure. 😉

I think I might tell the “boss” it should be 2 hours max (1 each or 2 for him) to complete the job, and see if he could keep it to that.

Or better yet, tell them it’s a $50 total job. No matter how long they take? 🤷🏻‍♂️
That’s what I do when I hire HS kids to help out with outdoor work . I tell them it’s either a half day job for $50 or an all day job for $100.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
They may get faster as they get used to doing too.

Reactions: 1 user

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
I just got back from a trail worker conference in New England. If you want your faith renewed in who is coming up, look there. Twenty to thirty-year-olds DESIRING to work all summer moving 400 pound rocks, pounding big rocks into crush for hours on end, walking in 5 miles carrying rock bars, 12 # double jacks and rigging equipment, etc. All while looking out after each other. Takes five people 4 days to find, prepare and set 5 300 pound steps on 30 percent slopes with no injuries. About 1/2 are women and/or non-binary.

I am 70 and I love working with these young people.

Reactions: 5 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I just got back from a trail worker conference in New England. If you want your faith renewed in who is coming up, look there. Twenty to thirty-year-olds DESIRING to work all summer moving 400 pound rocks, pounding big rocks into crush for hours on end, walking in 5 miles carrying rock bars, 12 # double jacks and rigging equipment, etc. All while looking out after each other. Takes five people 4 days to find, prepare and set 5 300 pound steps on 30 percent slopes with no injuries. About 1/2 are women and/or non-binary.

We have the same young workers and spirit on all of the wildfire suppression crews organized by states, tribes, and the federal government agencies.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Thank your lucky stars you can get anyone to help, let alone someone competent.
I can't get anyone to work, even if I pay them too much!
About the same experience here. If I do find a young man willing to work, as soon as they can drive on their own, they are done doing physical labor. Interests become chasing girls and trying to make more money doing less to pay for an expensive car. About 2 seasons between them actually being useful doing physical labor and having no interest in doing it. That’s if you find the one in a hundred that is even willing to work.

Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA

Trail workers are like snowmobile trail groomers. I find most are of a driven breed and dedicated to their art. As to their work ethic off the trail, that can really vary.

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Yep… Chris got his apprentice-experience at a Union Apprenticeship Program… learned how to do the task Correctly, Legally within the Building and Nat’l Codes, had his Certifications, bought and brought his own tools appropriate for the job, and paid his taxes.

I’ve never regretted hiring Union Workers!
United Brotherhood of Carpenters here... And you are 100% correct.

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
Trail workers are like snowmobile trail groomers. I find most are of a driven breed and dedicated to their art. As to their work ethic off the trail, that can really vary.
I did not know there were professional snowmobile groomers. The young adults we are talking about do this for pay all summer and then in winter get jobs like unloading planes at McMurdo Bay. They are OUTSTANDING!

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I did not know there were professional snowmobile groomers. The young adults we are talking about do this for pay all summer and then in winter get jobs like unloading planes at McMurdo Bay. They are OUTSTANDING!
The snowmobile trail groomers I know are all volunteer. Not sure how they get their equipment.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'll say, I have often felt the same way about the kids today. Thing is, I have to remember that I do things a lot more efficiently now than I did in my teens and twenties.
As an example: changing the oil in the car- used to get everything together (oil, filter, rags, funnel), pull the car in, open the hood, etc. Now, pull the car in, pull the plug, THEN open the hood, get everything together while it drains.
Swapping wheels on the bike I can do in under a minute now. Used to take an hour.
Sometimes we don't see that we get more efficient. Well, until it takes us longer to do everything. Bit, that's getting old.

Reactions: 1 users