"To Ballast or Not to Ballast...that is the question"

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
My L2850DT operator's manual leads me to believe that ballasting the front tires for added weight and stability is okay. But I've noted some opinions that ballasting front tires can lead to premature equipment breakdown in the front axle/shaft/gear assemblies. Anyone had any experience with this? Would I compound the problem with suitcase weights or FEL?

Suggestions?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
That question comes up once and a whie. There are some folks on here that have done it and reported no problems. The Wizzards on here that know everything about these tractors don't recommend it. I've asked the same question to a kubota dealer and they said don't do it... I've pondered doing it anyway but honestly I don't want anything to break and have to shell out cash to fix it... But it's a free country... You can do what ever you please :D

Front weights or a front implement is probably the best choice.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have foam filled fronts on mine and I love it.
I wouldn't do standard liquid ballated tires on the front, they are fine on the back.
If you work on a lot of hard ground it will send additional shock threw the tractor, but with mine I still get a fair amount of cushion out of my tires.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
The dealer put water in the front tires on my M5140. He said they don't usually do the front tires, but didn't think it would be a problem. IIRC the manual recommended not doing it. Will probably take most of it out by placing the valve stem at the lowest point, draining the water then fill the necessary air. Won't get all of the water out, but most of it.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Front tires filled here: Mucho Grande Better!

:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I cant see any advantages for front tire ballast-except for one.digging with fel.
It wont help with stability,traction or steering. Things will get worse on soft ground. May help with handling a rear heavy implement.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
I cant see any advantages for front tire ballast-except for one.digging with fel.
It wont help with stability,traction or steering. Things will get worse on soft ground. May help with handling a rear heavy implement.
The reason I originally put the ballast in the front tires was to counterbalance a heavy set of harrows (1200 lbs). I have a loader, but take the bucket or grapple off sometimes when trailering with the harrow.