Tire Valve Stem Size - L175

kubotamark

Equipment
L175
Aug 13, 2010
eldersburg, md
Does anyone know the tire valve stem size for an L175. My rear tire valve needs to be replaced and I cannot locate the size for it. My rear tire is an AG tire - 8.4-24.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I believe all valve stems are a standard size. They just make taller ones and shorter ones. I replaced my rear tires on my B6100 and I got new stems from NAPA.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I believe the 2 standard size holes for valve stems are 0.453" and 0.625", There is also a 0.327" size which is less common. There are they common automotive type that are made of rubber and pull into place from the inside of the rim and then there are screw in types that are all metal and have a rubber gromet/washer on the inside and outside and are secured via a nut that threads onto the metal valve stem shaft, On both my Kubotas the wheels have the screw in types of valve stems. I believe the screw in types are used where there is a danger of the valve stem being damaged by something coming into contact with it such as mud,brush,tree limbs,rocks,sand gravel etc.

Below is a link which shows some of the screw in types, There are low profile and right angle. I like the low profile because it reduces the chance of the valve stem getting snagged or damaged.

http://www.heeters.com/tires.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the valve stems, Site provided for size info only and not an endorsement of any particular product or vendor

Some older tubed tires may have a larger hole

Last edited:

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Are you sure that it doesn't have a tube in it? Most tractor tires from that era had tubes. You can buy a replacement valve stem that goes on a tube, kind of like a patch at most farm stores.

You will have to break the tire down and pull the tube to replace it.

When we replaced stems on tubes when I worked in a tire shop back in high school, we always put a patch over the hole in the original location and then put the new stem at least a foot away.

Tractor valve stems are different from regular automotive valve stems, they are designed for being filled with fluid. Back when I was doing it (early 1980's) the fluid of choice was water with a lot of calcium in it to prevent freezing. It will rust bare metal while you watch; but as long as you don't have leaks, it will last a long time. There are newer less corrosive (and more expensive) things used now.

Robert

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I reckon maybe I just got lucky then. I mounted new tires on my B6100 myslef and went to NAPA and bought a pack of vlave stems off the shely and the tool to pull them threw the rim and into place. The stems from NAPA are holding liquid in the rims just fine.

kubotamark

Equipment
L175
Aug 13, 2010
eldersburg, md
Are you sure that it doesn't have a tube in it? Most tractor tires from that era had tubes. You can buy a replacement valve stem that goes on a tube, kind of like a patch at most farm stores.

You will have to break the tire down and pull the tube to replace it.

When we replaced stems on tubes when I worked in a tire shop back in high school, we always put a patch over the hole in the original location and then put the new stem at least a foot away.

Tractor valve stems are different from regular automotive valve stems, they are designed for being filled with fluid. Back when I was doing it (early 1980's) the fluid of choice was water with a lot of calcium in it to prevent freezing. It will rust bare metal while you watch; but as long as you don't have leaks, it will last a long time. There are newer less corrosive (and more expensive) things used now.

Robert

Thanks for the question. My tire is tubeless and calcuim filled with water. The correct valve stem size is TR128A. I found some at TSC this weekend. My only problem is my old valve stem broke off when I unscrewed it out of the tire. It was corroded from the calcium and broke off right at the bottom of the valve stem. So I need to figure out how get the rest of the old stem out.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mark

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Mark,

You need to locate a valve stem removal/repair tool like on the attached link.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/t...ign=Valves-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F

You should be able to find one at a TSC, NAPA or other auto supply or tractor store in your area.

That is the tool I have used in the past. I have had to replace the valve core every few years due to corrosion. Usually the core will break apart in the stem from the chloride. The pointy part of the tool has helped me back out the remaining pieces left inside. Then you can use the thread part of the tool to clean up the internal threads before you insert the new valve core. You have to love the chloride issues. Hope that helps...

Dan

Last edited: