Tire Chain Tensioners

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
Got a set of small tire chains for the front of my B2620. I don't see how I will ever keep them on without some kind of tensioner. I have never needed to use them on my big tractors, so I don't know anything about them. I see ones that will fit on the outside of the rim obviously. But there are also some that can be put on the inside, around the axle. What should I try? Does it make sense to do both?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Tensioners, bungees, etc., are not needed if tire chains are properly fitted and installed.

Tire chains are manufactured to fit multiple tire sizes and nearly always need to be modified for proper fit, though few do so.

I've bought, fitted and installed multiple sets and never had any need for tensioners, etc., even after decades of use.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
AS chains get used - as with all metal chains they do stretch, and with that - they need to be secured better to the tire.

Go to wallyworld or another "cheap" place and get the 4 pack of 1" ratchet straps.

Cut off the excess ( yes I know it will be a waste) and then hook them across the diameter. AS you use the chains throughout the year - you can easily ratchet another click, thus keeping them snug and tight.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd go with chain, s-hooks and HD tension springs over a bungee. I haven't had much luck with bungees these days and find they are only good until you use them the first time.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The chains designed for 'turf tires' won't properly fit any other tire tread, and may not fit another brand of 'similar' turf treaded tire.
I let some air out,chained up, inflated to 15PSi, added 1 bungee per side..15 YEARS ago. Snowrider works great,even with a bit of slop in the chains. No snow here(2" fluff doesn't count ) ,so haven't had any fun this winter.

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Here's what I do with chains; air down the tires a couple of pounds, mount your chains, air up the tires to snug the chains. Easy, no tensioners needed.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Here's what I do with chains; air down the tires a couple of pounds, mount your chains, air up the tires to snug the chains. Easy, no tensioners needed.
Excellent idea - but over time, those little guys will stretch to where air can't help!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use short rubber tarp straps. Not much room inboard on a BX, and I don’t have spacers.

Keeps them tight.

image.jpg

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I used chains on a 2WD tractor years ago. I used "screen door" springs and S hooks. Two springs per side. No pics, but the springs were attached in a V pattern. Hooked at 12:00, looped around at 8:00 and other hook at 4:00. A second spring went 10:00, 2:00 and 6:00. That pulled pretty evenly at six points.

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Excellent idea - but over time, those little guys will stretch to where air can't help!
I'm not sure what is meant by stretch. If you are speaking of the chains stretching, well steel doesn't stretch, it wears out, like a bike chain, indicating a need for replacement. Rubber too gets old, cracks, breaks...falls off.

YMMV. If your tires are filled, remember the air valve must be up top when airing up or down.

I went with the R14 tires (?), the ATV tread jobs. Haven't used chains in couple of years now.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm not sure what is meant by stretch. If you are speaking of the chains stretching, well steel doesn't stretch, it wears out, like a bike chain, indicating a need for replacement. Rubber too gets old, cracks, breaks...falls off.
So --- a steel timing chain does not stretch? A steel chain on a chain saw does not stretch?

Ok - lets use another word then - elongation

AS those links in a chain on a tire roll, the pull on each link is tremendous - they elongate! and with them smashing against the road surface also flatten out.

A chain will deform and stretch throughout it's life as the load is placed on it and then removed to be placed again.

Reactions: 1 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
After years of coping with a 2WD Nuffield 465 I learned the critical aspect of tensioning tire chains is not to go from one side of the wheel to the other but rather get a metal circle from places like TSC. I think they are used with horse harness stuff. By pulling each part of the chain towards the centre of the wheel the chains seemed to stay much more uniform.
Rubber banjo straps are not much good compared to metal springs. Their tension changes with moisture absorption and temperature. the springs remain constant.

You only need to tension one side of the tire chain!!
DSCF2414.JPG

DSCF2413.JPG

DSCF2411.JPG

On my Kubota M7040, I bought expensive TRYGG chains which are made to fit the tire with no fiddling.
When younger I could not afford this quality of tire chain.

Dave

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
I use the ball type bungee cord loops (like they use for canopies and etc) and just go as far as they will reach between links on the outside chain loop. Two maybe three each side of the tractor depending on how I feel. Flip the ball through a couple times so they don't pop out. They are cheap, will usually last a couple seasons unless I loose them or use them for something else over the summer.
On the tractor for low speed operation (as opposed to truck or car chains) your chains don't have to be TIGHT, just snugged up so they aren't slapping around and catching on something. Unless they are way over sized it doesn't take much to do that. Chains sized for larger rims 24-28 etc might be a different matter because of the heavier gauge chain.
I used to do the air down and air up thing. Giant pita. Added a couple links so I can do the bungee rout and have had way less aggravation.
Even with bar tires, weights and a little extra ballast on the 3 point of my little snow blower tractor there's no replacement for the chains. The with vs without traction isn't even close.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
After years of coping with a 2WD Nuffield 465 I learned the critical aspect of tensioning tire chains is not to go from one side of the wheel to the other but rather get a metal circle from places like TSC. I think they are used with horse harness stuff. By pulling each part of the chain towards the centre of the wheel the chains seemed to stay much more uniform.
Rubber banjo straps are not much good compared to metal springs. Their tension changes with moisture absorption and temperature. the springs remain constant.

You only need to tension one side of the tire chain!!
View attachment 120677
View attachment 120678
View attachment 120679
On my Kubota M7040, I bought expensive TRYGG chains which are made to fit the tire with no fiddling.
When younger I could not afford this quality of tire chain.

Dave
I use a similar system. The center is from a broken bit horse bridle and the spring tensioners are trampoline springs, bought those online, 15 pack a lot cheaper than single springs from hardware stores.