Tire chain tension

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I have a new set of chains for my L3200- front and back- how tight should I run them on the front so they dont walk? I have never run fronts myself, but I hear that can be a problem. I think it will work good up here in maine. I am on the coast so we get alot of wet heavy snow and ice....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tight, One trick to use, put the chains on and tighten run it around a little to set the chains, deflate the tires down to about 5 psi, retighten 1 link air tires back up to max pressure.
Also use high quality rubber tensioners on the outside, it's always better to have a set of chains come off to the outside rather than the inside.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I have never ran chains on the front of a tractor; but I have ran chains on several pickups, including the front of four wheel drives. I never bothered buying the actual chain tensioner, and never had a problem.

What I do is mount the chain (preferably before you are in mud and stuck:eek:) hook the inside adjuster one link shorter than the outside and use rubber tarp bungee cord to tension. Then drive on it for a short distance before tightening with the outside chain.

Rig the bungee cord in a figure four and it works very well.

Robert

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I used to do the same thing, but now I can get the "proper" chain tensioners at cheaper prices than the bungees. :cool:

Last edited: