Tips on opening up loader hydraulic cylinder?

tbronson

Equipment
B1700 HSD w/ LA302 FEL, B48CA rototiller
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
Any tips on removing the cap of a hydraulic cylinder? It's from an LA302 loader.

I've watched videos and read posts on this. What I've tried so far is using a pipe wrench. It had a solid grip but didn't budge. It looked and felt like the tube and cap were one solid piece!

I haven't tried more leverage by extending the wrench handle with a piece of pipe, but I guess that's next.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Any tips on removing the cap of a hydraulic cylinder? It's from an LA302 loader.

I've watched videos and read posts on this. What I've tried so far is using a pipe wrench. It had a solid grip but didn't budge. It looked and felt like the tube and cap were one solid piece!

I haven't tried more leverage by extending the wrench handle with a piece of pipe, but I guess that's next.

Thanks!
Not sure if this is one of the types you have. But this may help

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Are you fully prepared with the special jigs to change seals? The slide jig and the correcting jig

These are the jigs for a bigger loader but all Kubotas cylinders use jigs.

The slide jig slightly stretches the O ring and the correction jig compresses the O ring so it will fit into the cylinder.

Rolling the O rings on just leads to early failure.

Slide and correction jig.jpg

Messicks tech's do not have the jigs and use a workaround which I have posted below.

Before disassembly the cylinder I suggest you perform the series of tests on the closed cylinder so you know if the cylinder itself is deformed or bulged. See attached procedure.

In the end most agree that having a hydraulic specialty shop repair a cylinder turns out to be a very good method as they can provide the seals at a fraction of the cost of seals from Kubota.

Dave

Attachments

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
As for unscrewing the end of the cylinder, I suspect the pipe wrench with a longer cheater pipe would do the trick. Whenever possible I leave the cylinder on the machine until that part is accomplished.

While I do agree that the seals are available at a considerable savings over Kubota's prices, but that's true of most any brand of equipment. On having it done at a specialty shop, maybe not so much.

I have no jigs or special tools for piston seals. I do have a couple pair of the folding pliers type tool for installing the internal shaft seals. I do use those quite extensively, but the jigs, no. In fact I doubt I have ever seen one.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but i've been through literally hundreds of hydraulic cylinders over the years and have had virtually no problems with piston seals. Yes, it does help when the seal is warm, even more so when working in cold weather. I do the piston seal first, and have a strip of emery cloth handy, just long enough to go around the circumference of the piston with a bit of overlap. That and a hose clamp slightly larger. Stretch the seal onto the piston then wrap it with the emery cloth, back side agains the seal. Next the hose clamp and tighten it down as tight as I can get it. Leave it that way as long as possible. Overnight if possible, but at least while I clean up the rest and assemble everything else. I only take the clamp off when the piston/rod assembly goes into the barrel.

Maybe there has been a problem with that method once or twice, but I don't remember when would have been the last time.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
My one and only experience with a hydraulic cylinder occurred last year after a fork lift truck I bought needed the lift cylinder rebuilt. A pain to remove but only $220 to have rebuilt. I don't know if that was a good price or not. I was pleased with myself for having removed and delivered it to the shop without having injured myself. Works fine now. Might cost less for your tractor cylinder. Good luck.

mmurray70

Mar 8, 2020
Newfoundland,Canada
Tapping the cylinder will help it break free. Just tap outside the threaded part with hammer repeatedly and work your way all around. Tiny bit of heat might help too, but go real easy on it, barely more then you can touch by hand. Big pipe wrench and you should be good to go.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I think it's awesome how Kubota provides dimensioned working drawings of all the special tools needed for different tasks on these tractors! Makes it much easier for us machinists.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
There is a machine shop here that rebuilds and then tests FEL cylinders for $75. Check around with local shops. They have the tools, equipment, parts and know how if you are having problems.

tbronson

Equipment
B1700 HSD w/ LA302 FEL, B48CA rototiller
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
Thanks for all the info! I was hoping to give it a good DIY shot, but ran out of weather here, so took it to a hydraulics shop (replaced seals, $145US).

I'll be better prepared for the next time. Including looking more into actually DIY replacing the seals.

Cheers!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
to add, before you try to unscrew the gland, grab a hammer and tap around the od of the cylinder where the gland threads are.