Ting Ting Ting noise from engine

Tigercub

Equipment
bx23s
Dec 6, 2020
Ontario
I have just picked up a 300 hr 2017 BX23S. I am new to diesel and tractors but not to mechanicals. (I am a Refrigeration Mechanic) . Everthing seems to start/work/function just fine, however the engine has a TING TING TING almost a rattle in it. . Question: is this a normal sound? It seems to be coming from outside the engine block not internal. Could it be the shroud on the flywheel?
Link below will take you to a video with sound.

Thanks for any opinions.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hmmm...my hearing isn’t what it used to be, but sounds just like my BX2360.

That said, make sure all fluids and filters have been changed per specifications. If you don’t know history, change everything fluids (motor and hydraulic) and filters, including the front axle (check the front axle anyway...likely low).

I think you’re fine, and welcome to the diesel world, and OTT!

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That engine is running great. Try idling it a little higher and the noise will go away. If you are still not satisfied, try adding some diesel fuel additive to the fuel. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen. Other fuel additives are available. All work well enough for their purpose. Adding the fuel supplement will add cetane to your fuel and that will make your engine run smoother. Again, your engine sounds normal. No need to worry.

Tigercub

Equipment
bx23s
Dec 6, 2020
Ontario
Hmmm...my hearing isn’t what it used to be, but sounds just like my BX2360.

That said, make sure all fluids and filters have been changed per specifications. If you don’t know history, change everything fluids (motor and hydraulic) and filters, including the front axle (check the front axle anyway...likely low).

I think you’re fine, and welcome to the diesel world, and OTT!
Thanks , goo d advice. It was purchased from a Kubota dealer (Roberts Equipment in Chesley Ontario) and all filters were replaced and engine oil changed. I have checked all fluid lvls and greased everything AND completely digested the owners manual. Everything seems in top condition. I will plan on changing the hydro oil in the spring.

Tigercub

Equipment
bx23s
Dec 6, 2020
Ontario
That engine is running great. Try idling it a little higher and the noise will go away. If you are still not satisfied, try adding some diesel fuel additive to the fuel. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen. Other fuel additives are available. All work well enough for their purpose. Adding the fuel supplement will add cetane to your fuel and that will make your engine run smoother. Again, your engine sounds normal. No need to worry.
Thanks, I did add fuel treatment as I have read about water gelling and filters plugging up. Thanks for the listen, I shall sleep better tonight knowing the engine is not going to implode

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
wouldn't worry with it as long as it starts easy.

I found that using an app called slopro on the phone, you can take fairly decent slow mo videos and slow them down or speed them up. It has been a real problem solver. You can thank the app for a BIG improvement in the Kommander mower hst belt issue. When the ZG100's and then the Z100's were still "new" they had some sporadic issues with the hst belt coming off for a lot of times no reason. So frustrated, I used my cellphone to take a slowmo vid of the belt drive, to find that the idler tension arm was flexing and causing belt misalignment. Showed it to the division service manager who said "hmm"...mind if I use that information? Couple months later, service bulletin, and also noticed that the Z251's have an updated tensioner arm, same as the bulletin for the Z100's but they come factory with the updated stuff. No more belt problems with this update.

Oh something cool I did with slopro was take a vid of me driving down the road in my diesel truck. At really low speed you can really hear the turbo, sounds like a 747 upon takeoff. So I sped it up 4x and it sounds like a drag car, but the turbo is inaudible at the higher speed. Kinda cool. Took a slopro vid of a D950/B7100 and you can hear each cylinder fire, and you can also hear how inconsistent each cylinder is from another. In other words one might "knock" louder than the other, or the same cylinder might knock louder on one stroke than the other, inconsistent fuel burn is my guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users