Tikka Scare!!!

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I definitely will. Keep in mind I was told 10-12 weeks after shipped.

I will add something else. I pulled the other T3 out of the safe last night and there is a HUGE difference in the feel, stability and movement of the safety from one to the other.

Also let me be clear about the trigger pull. I have had the weapon for about 12 years and I can honestly say that I cannot remember ever adjusting the trigger--and I'm fairly certain I would remember doing that. I also looked very, very close at the screws that allow you to remove the action from the stock and I do not see any evidence they have had a tool in them. But from what I understand watching videos that allen screw cannot be backed out to the point where the rifle becomes unsafe. The photos I believe you posted above show a larger screw that is supposed to prevent that by stopping the screw from being backed out too far (unsafe).

Again, I love Tikka rifles--have 3 of them. But if they allow the end user to adjust the weapon's pull to the point it fires unintentionally that seems to me like a design flaw. Maybe thats just me.
The large screw that blocks the trigger screw from being backed out holds the trigger assembly to the action. You remove it to swap out the spring inside. I can remove the screw and spring on mine and it will pass a bump test without dropping the firing pin. Anything can be adjusted out of limits to be unsafe, think Remington X mark triggers.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Super-fake.
Please be advised, the settlement is final – On August 15, 2017, the court entered an order regarding the claim filing process; this order is available for review on the settlement website. The claim filing period begins on October 9, 2017 and ends on February 6, 2018. A notice with additional information will be emailed or mailed to those individuals who registered for updates; notice will also be provided through the PR Newswire Service.

If you own one or more of the following “Class Pistols” : PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT- 609; PT-640; and PT-24/7 pistols (including the “PRO” series of each of these models), you may be entitled to the settlement benefits below. The settlement does not include Taurus G2 model pistols.

• Settlement Payment Option –The Deadline to File a Claim for the Cash Payment Ended February 6, 2018.
    Settlement Class Members may have elected to return their Class Pistol to the Taurus Companies to receive a payment of up to $200 per Class Pistol.
  • Enhanced Warranty – The Taurus Companies agree to modify their existing warranty for all Class Pistols to allow any owner to submit a warranty claim at any time.
    • The Class Pistol will be inspected by the Taurus Companies at no cost and repaired or replaced with no requirement that you prove the pistol is defective.
    • The Taurus Companies will pay all costs associated with this enhanced warranty, including but not limited to the cost of shipping to and from the Taurus Companies and the cost to inspect the Class Pistol.
    • You should anticipate a minimum three week turn-around if returning a Class Pistol for it to be repaired or replaced.
    • You can receive a replacement pistol only if applicable law permits the shipping of a replacement pistol to your state and municipality. More information is available on the "Enhanced Warranty" page of this website.

Also a link to an article about the recall

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Didn’t watch it with sound the first time. It does seem off though. But shooting a pistol with limp wrist will cause it to not eject the empty case
true and you would see a bunch of recoil with that limp wrist too

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Again, I love Tikka rifles--have 3 of them. But if they allow the end user to adjust the weapon's pull to the point it fires unintentionally that seems to me like a design flaw. Maybe thats just me.
That's a slippery slope. Should an automotive manufacturer allow it's vehicles to be driven at 150 mph or faster given national speed limits? Freedom of choice carries some burden of ownership and accountability.

You can stuff 75 grains of Red Dot powder into a .300 Win Mag primed case and seat a bullet if you want, but you've made a bomb and not a cartridge suitable for shooting in a rifle. Firearms and ammunition have the potential to be inherently dangerous and require owners to be responsible. Part of that responsibility is following the advice of the manufacturer in terms of adjusting trigger pull weight. Just my opinion and nothing more.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can see brass eject in that one.
And a shock wave out in front.

Here is a little more on this.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Didn’t watch it with sound the first time. It does seem off though. But shooting a pistol with limp wrist will cause it to not eject the empty case

No recoil. No slide action. Nothing but a poorly timed gunshot sound.

If your wrist is limp enough to cause a malfunction, the recoil will be obvious.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I like a three position safety on a rifle with a locking bolt handle. (1) Fire, (2) safe with bolt able to cycle, and (3) safe with locked bolt. I agree that it'll be interesting to know what Beretta finds.
Mauser 98 or Commercial.

Wyatt545

Equipment
Kubota M5660, RCR1884, pallet forks and EA Severe Xtreme 84" box blade
Nov 13, 2022
Zionville, NC
I have a Ruger All-Weather (older boat paddle) 22mag, which did the same thing out of blue. Fired when deactivated safety.
Ruger sent pre-paid label, fixed the faulty sear/trigger and had it back to me within a month. They called with apologies and thanked me for sending it to them. Couldn’t have been better service.

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Okay. I received the rifle back today. Looked at the packing slip and it stated the following:

...Customer noted rifle fires when safety put on. Gunsmith: verified the issue and caused by trigger assembly was loose. Gunsmith tightened the assembly. Rifle is functioning within factory parameters."

Not sure if I'm completely happy with this. How do I know it will not become loose again?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Okay. I received the rifle back today. Looked at the packing slip and it stated the following:

...Customer noted rifle fires when safety put on. Gunsmith: verified the issue and caused by trigger assembly was loose. Gunsmith tightened the assembly. Rifle is functioning within factory parameters."

Not sure if I'm completely happy with this. How do I know it will not become loose again?
Pretty sure that they would make every effort to insure that it doesn't happen again such as the use of Loctite to keep the screw from backing off again. Good luck with it and thanks for letting us know.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

This is great news! Hopefully blue Loctite was applied to the screw that secures the trigger housing to the receiver, or a screw with a thread lock patch was used, but if not, it was at least torqued to spec. So not a defect, just a loose screw.

Were you charged for this "repair"?

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Good to hear about the follow up. I’ll second the others put some blue locktite in it. Even purple will work(low strength). From the wording they might not have used any.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Good to hear about the follow up. I’ll second the others put some blue locktite in it. Even purple will work(low strength). From the wording they might not have used any.
For what it's worth, I've got lots of rifles that have a trigger group screwed to the receiver and have shot thousands of rounds through those rifles and never had a trigger group work loose. I've put a thousand or so rounds through my .375 H&H that has a trigger group secured to the receiver with a 10-32 screw with no thread patch or Loctite and it's never shot loose. Remingtons use two pins that are trapped by the stock so they're not likely to shoot loose.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
For what it's worth, I've got lots of rifles that have a trigger group screwed to the receiver and have shot thousands of rounds through those rifles and never had a trigger group work loose. I've put a thousand or so rounds through my .375 H&H that has a trigger group secured to the receiver with a 10-32 screw with no thread patch or Loctite and it's never shot loose. Remingtons use two pins that are trapped by the stock so they're not likely to shoot loose.
I actually sold my Tikka T3 30:06 a few weeks ago and just received my new Tikka T3X 7MM-08 this week. They are very easy to work on (adjust the trigger pull), 2 screws and the stock comes off and then the trigger adjustment is right there in front of you. It comes from the factory at around 3 lbs pull however this one I did adjust it down to it's lowest setting to around 2 1/4 pound pull as I like a light trigger, very easy to do, took only minutes. While I had it apart I did check the locking screw that holds the trigger into the action and it was very tight so no worries about it backing off and also did the drop test ( no bullet in it) and had no issue with it firing. Just waiting for my rail to come in so I can mount the scope and then of to the range. I also have a Browning which is a great gun and has served me well for many years so it was a real tossup what to buy however I couldn't turn down the Tikka. Think I may have posted this before but just in case I didn't I'll post it again.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I actually sold my Tikka T3 30:06 a few weeks ago and just received my new Tikka T3X 7MM-08 this week. ....

I also have a Browning which is a great gun and has served me well for many years so it was a real tossup what to buy however I couldn't turn down the Tikka. Think I may have posted this before but just in case I didn't I'll post it again.
Tikka and Sako make excellent rifles and some models are an incredible value for money given the features, fit, finish, function and accuracy/precision. I have a Tikka T3 TACT (older model) and two Sako S20 rifles and they are outstanding. I've shot three elk with the T3 TACT.

I do wish that T&S would offer faster twist rates in the .308 Win though, and a proper two-stage trigger would be a major plus.