Three point LOG Splitter to L 3901

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
I wouldn't be worried about putting the hours on your tractor. Nothing beats the dependability of a diesel Kubota engine. Not sure on the RPM you'll need to be at, but I am sure the engine would love the easy work and the emissions system would certainly benefit from the extended run time too.[/QUOTE]

Thats the way i figured things, cant imagine for my meger use any great damage. RPM at pto consistent with dealer recommendstions. Actually for something like this or fel i normally stay around 2100 or so. Using the finish mower is all pto speed and seems to work fine extending regen intervals. Thanks

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Let me try and be clearer: I am not suggesting a tractor driving a wood splitter will experience premature wear.

PTO generator use is a heavy job for tractor engine assuming it has a load matching the size of the generator head and the generator head is sized to fit the tractor.

Blowing snow is a heavy work as well.

Driving around slowly moving a pile of gravel or topsoil with a FEL is light work.

It is not about wearing the engine with light work, rather, just the alarm experienced by some owners when their new(er) tractor starts to smoke.

They are upset and don't know why the machine they have cared for and even babied is acting like an old car or truck blowing blue smoke.

It is a condition, as I have said earlier, that is reversible.

Dave
How is running a log splitter different than backhoe or FEL work?

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
I wanted a 3 pt splitter but talked myself out of it for most of the reasons mentioned already.
The single best reason I bought one to tow was the fact I could use the tractor as help while splitting. It helps me load, buck too long pieces, stack splits in the bucket or trailer.
I lucked out and got a used Timberwolf with a Honda engine and it has been nothing but rock solid and reliable starting.
I am torn between keeping it and getting one that flips vertical as I have some large rounds. But I use the tractor with forks on the bucket or the grapple to help me load and hold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
two options for a splitter.

One-rear remote. The valve has a lever on it and the lever will have to be actuated in order to make the splitter work. Some guys use a bungee strap to hold it in whatever position to make fluid flow, then use the splitter's valve to work it. Be sure that the splitter's valve is open center, otherwise hours of use can tend to dead-head and thus overheat the tractor's hydraulic system.

option #2. Backhoe loop. Remove hose from "BY" port of the loader valve (usually has green paint on the hose). Remove the hose from the block under the floor. Install one hose from the block to the back of the tractor with a female quick coupler. Install another hose from the BY port of loader valve with a male quick coupler. Use GOOD quality couplers!! (not TSC garbage!). When not using the splitter, you will have to connect those two hoses together or your hydraulic components (at least the 3ph and loader) will NOT work. Make SURE the splitter's valve is open center (not closed center!) again to avoid hydraulic system overheating.

If the splitter's valve is closed center, and some of them are, you'll need to convert it to open (if possible...some are not convertible)....OR replace it with an open center valve. Failure to do so will damage the tractor's hydraulic system prematurely.

I have done the BH loop many times and it works fine so long as the hoses are connected together when not in use. If the couplers are junk like most of the chinese TSC garbage, they will oftentimes fail and cause the system to deadhead. You wouldn't believe how many times I've run into this at work. Get the Kubota couplers for BH77 backhoe, one is male the other female, you'll probably need 2 of each so long as the splitter's hoses are 1/2" MNPT. They are of good quality and rarely (if ever?) fail, unlike the cheap stuff. If the hoses aren't connected (looped) when the splitter's not in use, or one of the couplers is bad, or the splitter has a closed center valve...basically anything that stops or severely restricts the flow of fluid through the loop, the loader and 3ph won't work and the system will create pressure all the time which it isn't designed to do.