This is going to be fun

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Someday, probably soon I will have to pull the rear wheels off my L245DT and do something about the rust areas around the valve stems. One of them is getting pretty bad.

In the past with old tractors the standard routine was to pull the wheel, take it to town, have the tire shop dismount the tire, take the wheel back home, brush, scrape, etc., weld a washer in place, put in a new valve stem, take back to town, have the tire shop remount the tire and fill, go back home, put on tractor, go to other side and repeat. Long day!

Is that still the method or is there a better way short of buying two new wheels? OUCH!!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Unless you want to purchase the tools to drain and reload you tires yourself I can't think of a better way!
It IS quite easy to drain and refill your own wheels and all you really need is a small enough tube to go through the old valve stem and a way to lift the wheels high enough to be able to siphon the ballast out. Plus of course, enough time to siphon all that fluid through a small tubing.
Ed

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Draining and refilling the tires wouldn't be so bad. It my welding skills that leave a lot to be desired. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do it the hard way. I'll putz around until my perfectionist welding son see's what I'm doing. Then he will get disgusted and tell me to move aside and he will weld it up. ;)

There's times that old age and treachery have their purpose.

Thanks!!!

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I as always would weld it up around stem then with a 4.5 inch grinder fix it back to original . Problem solved and yes it aint much I wouldnt weld. handy

bky

Nov 8, 2009
ky
You could always use a drill pump to remove the fluid, break the bead and dismount it yourself. Then patch the old hole and drill a new one. Then remount and fill. or just takes to town and have someone else do it. I Myself would do it the hard and cheaper way:)