The reality of selling a late model used Kubota in today's market.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you look close at an M5 and test drive one you will soon understand just how quickly want and need come together. Yes I do like keeping the tractors and implements in a heated building, I just wouldn't feel right if I left then out in the cold.
The "want" is already there, I can create the "need" but in an attempt to be somewhat financially responsible I need to pace myself. I can see an M in my future but not for a couple of years at least.

Reactions: 1 users

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
The "want" is already there, I can create the "need" but in an attempt to be somewhat financially responsible I need to pace myself. I can see an M in my future but not for a couple of years at least.
You will look good in that M in the future, I am sure. Am I being much help here with tractor buying restraint?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You will look good in that M in the future, I am sure. Am I being much help here with tractor buying restraint?
You're not helping! But you are inspiring with that collection you have. :ROFLMAO:

It's not directly related to the discussion but in the last year I've found my focus shifting significantly. I've been a firearms engineer for the past 12 years working for major companies including Remington, Kimber, Bergara and Ruger. There was a time when I was obsessive about buying firearms and I still have a large collection of quality products but have started to part with items that don't interest me anymore. I still like, use and enjoy quality firearms, but I can honestly say that I'd rather have all that money invested in tractor related equipment. My point is that there are ways to pay for our hobbies or passions, and we usually find a way to achieve what we want.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You really should research some issues that YOU may consider to be "urban legend".
Most of them are INSANE FACTS!
Yes the military spends billions, but not on $1000 hammers. FAR (federal acquisition regulations) are far more regulated than any corporate procurement process.

Reactions: 1 user

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
You're not helping! But you are inspiring with that collection you have. :ROFLMAO:

It's not directly related to the discussion but in the last year I've found my focus shifting significantly. I've been a firearms engineer for the past 12 years working for major companies including Remington, Kimber, Bergara and Ruger. There was a time when I was obsessive about buying firearms and I still have a large collection of quality products but have started to part with items that don't interest me anymore. I still like, use and enjoy quality firearms, but I can honestly say that I'd rather have all that money invested in tractor related equipment. My point is that there are ways to pay for our hobbies or passions, and we usually find a way to achieve what we want.
Firearms engineer, hell yeah! Oh I would enjoy a conversation with you. I am kinda partial to Ruger, being and old guy I prefer revolvers and bolt action Hawkeye 77 rifles. I had to stop buying guns, the safe is full, maybe that is why I have so many tractors.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes the military spends billions, but not on $1000 hammers. FAR (federal acquisition regulations) are far more regulated than any corporate procurement process.
$650 toilet seats is better?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Firearms engineer, hell yeah! Oh I would enjoy a conversation with you. I am kinda partial to Ruger, being and old guy I prefer revolvers and bolt action Hawkeye 77 rifles. I had to stop buying guns, the safe is full, maybe that is why I have so many tractors.
I bet if all those tractors really care about you, they would want you to get another safe too😉

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Ruger FTW! Have 2 of them, a LC9S Pro and AR556. Yes I HAVE carried both while riding my B2410! LOL

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Just picked up a Ruger American in .45 today, it will be the 5th in the safe in the Ruger family. MADE IN AMERICA.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I could sell my 3 yr old BX23S ,buy a new B2601 and still have money in my wallet.....
..dang silly 'market' for sure.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Where you you come up with this stuff.? You obviously aren’t familiar with federal purchasing laws and requirements.
It appears that you must be too young to be aware of the history of military purchasing issues.
Did you ever spend time serving your country in any of the four US military branches + Coast Guard?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It appears that you must be too young to be aware of the history of military purchasing issues.
Did you ever spend time serving your country in any of the four US military branches + Coast Guard?
I have 32 years of federal service and understand federal procurement all too well. Yes, I’m sure there have been incidents of these things, but you are acting like it’s the normal every day thing. It’s not. And contracting officers can be prosecuted if they knowingly disregard FAR ( federal acquisition regulations). FAR applies to both DOD and civilian federal purchasing.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well I know for a fact that the steel used in armour plating tanks 40 years ago was bought at an 'inflated' price. The actual cost for that steel was less than $1 per pound but it SOLD for a lot more than that !
A lot of the hardware on the ISS cost a lot more too. 'Special' bolts for $15, real cost $1.22.....

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Where you you come up with this stuff.? You obviously aren’t familiar with federal purchasing laws and requirements.
Where have you been?

Well documented decades ago, FAR or otherwise.

SDT

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have 32 years of federal service and understand federal procurement all too well. Yes, I’m sure there have been incidents of these things, but you are acting like it’s the normal every day thing. It’s not. And contracting officers can be prosecuted if they knowingly disregard FAR ( federal acquisition regulations). FAR applies to both DOD and civilian federal purchasing.
So YOU say it ain't so?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Does the government pay inflated prices for some or many items - the answer is yes. However, some of those inflated prices are due to government requirements, including testing. Many government purchases for military and other life on the line hardware require each component to be tested. It is not just a bolt; it is a bolt that has been individually tested (it is a common source of civil and criminal action by the government against contractors/suppliers that fake the testing).

Also, the government does not do itself any favors by often having ridiculously high specifications. I remember a story in the 70s about an outrageously expensive coffee maker for some military plane (transport or bomber). Well, it turned out that the military specified a coffee maker that would be capable of brewing coffee in artic conditions at reduced atmospheric pressure with the ability to survive massive G loads (beyond what the plane could endure).

GSA (general Services Administration) is another enemy of the tax payers. Government office space and procurement from the GSA price list in usually much more expensive than the open market. Something as simple as office supplies from Office Depot are more expensive from the government/GSA portion of their website. If a government worker is motivated and conscientious (not as common as one would hope), they can submit a justification to buy open market versus GSA, and the request has to be approved in advance.

Finally, the greatest source of cost overruns on government contracts is change orders issued by the government. A typical example is the government changing design requirements halfway through a project. The headline in the paper might read - Government pays 40 million dollars to run a 3 inch conduit 100 feet in new aircraft carrier. The reality is that the change order for the new conduit caused the ship to be extensively re-engineered as there was no space for the conduit in the previous government approved final design.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Hmm I wonder if that aircraft carrier was Orange or Green. Kind of slid way off topic here. LOL