The reality of selling a late model used Kubota in today's market.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So YOU say it ain't so?
I say it’s not typical. Has it happened in the past? Probably. Has that contracting officer been disciplined or is no longer a contracting officer? Most likely. It’s nonsensical to point to a few incidents and blow it out of proportion to suggest this is standard operating procedures.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hmm I wonder if that aircraft carrier was Orange or Green. Kind of slid way off topic here. LOL
To get this back on track a bit, it looks like the MX6000 HST is sold, along with a Land Pride RB3796 rear blade. I feel good about selling the tractor to such a nice father and son. The son came out and was impressed with the tractor. He got to drive it and check out all of the features and left me a $200 deposit. His dad is mailing me a cashier's check tomorrow and I'll be storing the tractor for him in the garage until he gets out here in May or June. A very happy ending for sure.

We recorded the hour meter reading and I told the buyer that I won't use the tractor at all. He said that I can use it if I need to. No way am I going to use it. It'll stay safely in the garage out of the sun and rain. I told the dad that he can borrow my EA grapple if he needs a grapple and his hasn't arrived yet. I also told him that he can try all he wants to break the Wicked 60 ... good luck with that! :LOL:

When the weather gets nicer I'll pull the tractor out an wash and wax it for him.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
To get this back on track a bit, it looks like the MX6000 HST is sold, along with a Land Pride RB3796 rear blade. I feel good about selling the tractor to such a nice father and son. The son came out and was impressed with the tractor. He got to drive it and check out all of the features and left me a $200 deposit. His dad is mailing me a cashier's check tomorrow and I'll be storing the tractor for him in the garage until he gets out here in May or June. A very happy ending for sure.

We recorded the hour meter reading and I told the buyer that I won't use the tractor at all. He said that I can use it if I need to. No way am I going to use it. It'll stay safely in the garage out of the sun and rain. I told the dad that he can borrow my EA grapple if he needs a grapple and his hasn't arrived yet. I also told him that he can try all he wants to break the Wicked 60 ... good luck with that! :LOL:

When the weather gets nicer I'll pull the tractor out an wash and wax it for him.
NICE !!!!

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa

Well it seems like that worked out well and you feel good about selling it to good people, that is a win all the way around. The way you plan to treat the sold tractor gives me the impression that you are a class act!

Back in 2016 I sold my L2900 to a local couple, I changed the engine oil and filter, cleaned it so that it looked like a new machine and installed an OE block heater since the new owner wasn't going to be storing it in a heated building, then delivered it to him. I felt good about that sale too.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Well it seems like that worked out well and you feel good about selling it to good people, that is a win all the way around. The way you plan to treat the sold tractor gives me the impression that you are a class act!

Back in 2016 I sold my L2900 to a local couple, I changed the engine oil and filter, cleaned it so that it looked like a new machine and installed an OE block heater since the new owner wasn't going to be storing it in a heated building, then delivered it to him. I felt good about that sale too.
I sold my small JD last month after getting my MX. I replaced all filters and changed the oil before selling.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

I did the 50 hour service at 49.6 hours and have some really good oil in the tractor (Schaeffer fully synthetic) so I doubt I'll do anything in terms of oil and filters with only 102 hours on the tractor now. I'll grease all the fittings after I wash/wax and clean the air filters and such.

As for being a class act, I'm simply mirroring the future owner and his son who both seem to be quality individuals. It's easy to treat people right when they're clearly good people. We reap what we sow.

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

🍺 Cheers!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

NICE !!!!
I did the 50 hour service at 49.6 hours and have some really good oil in the tractor (Schaeffer fully synthetic) so I doubt I'll do anything in terms of oil and filters with only 102 hours on the tractor now. I'll grease all the fittings after I wash/wax and clean the air filters and such.

As for being a class act, I'm simply mirroring the future owner and his son who both seem to be quality individuals. It's easy to treat people right when they're clearly good people. We reap what we sew.
Oops.... sow?

• Haha

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
mcmxi Glad to hear you found a buyer. The right person is always out there sometimes you have to put up with the bad to find the right one. I was lucky with my Agco and it was sold before I even tried to sell it after I bought my MX-6000 last year.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
mcmxi Glad to hear you found a buyer. The right person is always out there sometimes you have to put up with the bad to find the right one. I was lucky with my Agco and it was sold before I even tried to sell it after I bought my MX-6000 last year.
Thanks. The buyer texted me a photo of the cashier's check that he mailed out this morning. All is good. He called the local dealer this morning to order a bunch of stuff inluding a canopy and some kind of canvas cover that drapes over the canopy.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Update: The check for $39k arrived last week. I put it in the bank, logged into the Kubota account, paid off the outstanding balance on the 0% loan and can now sit back and watch my credit rating drop even more! :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Update: The check for $39k arrived last week. I put it in the bank, logged into the Kubota account, paid off the outstanding balance on the 0% loan and am can sit back and watch my credit rating drop even more! :oops:
Update: The check for $39k arrived last week. I put it in the bank, logged into the Kubota account, paid off the outstanding balance on the 0% loan and am can sit back and watch my credit rating drop even more! :oops:
In your case, it appears that all went well with the cashiers check, but folks should know that cashiers checks are not really fraud proof.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In your case, it appears that all went well with the cashiers check, but folks should know that cashiers checks are not really fraud proof.
I sold a pair of Ed Brown 1911s a couple of weeks ago for north of $4k and the buyer wired me money, but only because he didn't want to wait for a check to clear.

As for the tractor, I feel a little bad for the buyer since he's assuming all the risk. The tractor is at my house and probably will be for months. I drafted a bill of sale that I had notarized, and mailed the original to him to sign. It states that I'm not liable for any damage to the tractor during storage or transportation, in the event that he asks me to deliver it to him when he moves here. I also stated that I'm not to use the tractor other than to move it out of the way to avoid damage to the tractor, or to access items blocked by the tractor. Even still, it's a huge risk on his part to have a $38k tractor sitting at what is basically a stranger's house.

So is wiring money the best and safest way to transfer funds? When I deposited the check I asked the teller how long before it clears and he told me that the money was already in my account.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Sometimes it gets a little tricky buying something and then its left at the sellers place for a period of time. Had a buddy some years back bought a tractor in the winter up north $150,000 tractor and didn't want it hauled until spring because of road salt. Deal was on the up and up all paper work signed. Then the guys building burned down. Buddy had called his insurance guy to make sure there was insurance. Buddy got paid for the tractor by his insurance. Then just a couple years back he bought a used combine $250,000 in the winter back east and didn't want any salt on it so it was at the seller place until spring. He called and had insurance on it also. All was good until driver got into a wreck and totaled the combine. Truck company had cargo insurance issues and that one ended up in court. Buddy got paid but it took a while.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I don't understand the 'no road salt' with trailered equipment. Surely a kid with a pressure washer could clean off the salt in less than 2 hours ? Does your buddy drive store his ride until Spring ?
Just curious , as Ontario roads get a 'wee bit' of salt all winter long.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I sold a pair of Ed Brown 1911s a couple of weeks ago for north of $4k and the buyer wired me money, but only because he didn't want to wait for a check to clear.

As for the tractor, I feel a little bad for the buyer since he's assuming all the risk. The tractor is at my house and probably will be for months. I drafted a bill of sale that I had notarized, and mailed the original to him to sign. It states that I'm not liable for any damage to the tractor during storage or transportation, in the event that he asks me to deliver it to him when he moves here. I also stated that I'm not to use the tractor other than to move it out of the way to avoid damage to the tractor, or to access items blocked by the tractor. Even still, it's a huge risk on his part to have a $38k tractor sitting at what is basically a stranger's house.

So is wiring money the best and safest way to transfer funds? When I deposited the check I asked the teller how long before it clears and he told me that the money was already in my account.
I have home owner's insurance and an umbrella policy, and the bill of sale states that I'm not liable for any damages, but I should probably ask the buyer to make sure that the tractor is covered with his own insurance policy while it's at my place.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have home owner's insurance and an umbrella policy, and the bill of sale states that I'm not liable for any damages, but I should probably ask the buyer to make sure that the tractor is covered with his own insurance policy while it's at my place.
Yes,........ you certainly should make sure that the BUYER'S insurance now covers the tractor, even though it is currently stored (for free) at your place.

FWIW: Some homeowner policies apparently do not cover tractor loss, and yours most likely would not now, since you have already consummated the sale.

I have USAA insurance, and they have been good to work with over the past 60 years, but I really do not trust ANY insurance company!
They ALL seem to look for loopholes!

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Did you finance the original purchase? Did you get the insurance through Kubota? Is it transferable? Does the new buyer have a policy (his choice not to…buyer may want to check their policy as well) He bought a used tractor and is getting storage and understood at purchase the liability risk on the terms. Hour meter should be able to show you did not operate it.