The PRICE of super UDT2 - are you kidding?

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
re: Would be super easy to do with a mass spectrometer… super easy

yes, but I quit fixing them 40 years ago for the local Steel mill......
Not certain we’re talking about the same thing, as UPLC/MS technology with sensitivity down to femtograms/microliter levels, didn’t exist 40 years ago.
If it had, it wouldn’t have taken mustaches on the Russian women for us to become suspicious of their Olympic achievements.😁

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Additive types can be determined with a mass spectrometer?
Not from a standard test. Look at the SUDT2 UOA that was recently posted. Ca is 2300+ ppm and is undoubtely coming from multiple conpounds with differrent functionality. P is 700 ppm and Zn is 500 ppm. Maybe 400 ppm of the P is coming from ZDDP but where is the remaining 300 ppm coming from?

Dan

Dan

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Not from a standard test. Look at the SUDT2 UOA that was recently posted. Ca is 2300+ ppm and is undoubtely coming from multiple conpounds with differrent functionality. P is 700 ppm and Zn is 500 ppm. Maybe 400 ppm of the P is coming from ZDDP but where is the remaining 300 ppm coming from?

Dan

Dan
So an ICP-QQQ-MS would be able to take care of the qualitative aspect (id) and later if needed, quantitative measurements of any inorganics in play, like those mentioned above (P, Zn, etc). If any organics (no question there are-I can smell them) needed identified and quantitated, then an LC/QTOF (for qual) and LC/QQQ (for quant) would be used. The many commercially available spectral libraries out there for would easily identify what’s in there. Of course, this is entirely different from the physical testing. But if a competitor truly wanted to get the exact formula Kubota uses, it’s quite easy these days. The physical characteristics would follow from there, as long as they included everything from the chemical testing. It all comes back to, “you get what you pay for”—so by the time the knockoff brand goes to that much trouble to put in there what must be in there, their price is likely now close to Kubota’s at that point-except they don’t have the name recognition, so they’re already behind the 8-ball.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So an ICP-QQQ-MS would be able to take care of the qualitative aspect (id) and later if needed, quantitative measurements of any inorganics in play, like those mentioned above (P, Zn, etc). If any organics (no question there are-I can smell them) needed identified and quantitated, then an LC/QTOF (for qual) and LC/QQQ (for quant) would be used. The many commercially available spectral libraries out there for would easily identify what’s in there. Of course, this is entirely different from the physical testing. But if a competitor truly wanted to get the exact formula Kubota uses, it’s quite easy these days. The physical characteristics would follow from there, as long as they included everything from the chemical testing. It all comes back to, “you get what you pay for”—so by the time the knockoff brand goes to that much trouble to put in there what must be in there, their price is likely now close to Kubota’s at that point-except they don’t have the name recognition, so they’re already behind the 8-ball.
I stand corrected. Could you also ID the base oils and the proportions? That plays a significant role.

A competitor can make an oil that passes those tests without knowing Kubotas formulary but the cost is going to be the same as Kubotas. CNH Ultraction SSL should be able to do it but the cost for it is already considerably higher than SUDT2. The cost of SUDT2 is really pretty reasonable.

Dan

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I stand corrected. Could you also ID the base oils and the proportions? That plays a significant role.

A competitor can make an oil that passes those tests without knowing Kubotas formulary but the cost is going to be the same as Kubotas. CNH Ultraction SSL should be able to do it but the cost for it is already considerably higher than SUDT2. The cost of SUDT2 is really pretty reasonable.

Dan
Identifying the base oils and getting an area percent report is about the easiest test any analytical Chemist ever has to perform, so no problem.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Identifying the base oils and getting an area percent report is about the easiest test any analytical Chemist ever has to perform, so no problem.
I am surprised by that but I am ignorant of that technology. I will have to educate myself on how that is done.

Dan

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I am surprised by that but I am ignorant of that technology. I will have to educate myself on how that is done.

Dan
chem.agilent.com
Anything inorganic (elemental) would be done with ICP-MS techniques, whereas organics would be accomplished with either GC or LC on front end, feeding either a single quad, triple quad, TOF, or QTOF. I do the LC/MS stuff, but did GC/MS my first 12 years with HP before we were spun off to Agilent 21 years ago.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
chem.agilent.com
Anything inorganic (elemental) would be done with ICP-MS techniques, whereas organics would be accomplished with either GC or LC on front end, feeding either a single quad, triple quad, TOF, or QTOF. I do the LC/MS stuff, but did GC/MS my first 12 years with HP before we were spun off to Agilent 21 years ago.
That clears up a lot :rolleyes:

Dan

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I’ve got a good old MTD tiller bought new in 1988. Still going strong

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
You guys are talking way over my head.
But last week I drained and blew out all the lines on my Ford 8N and its front mount pump hydraulic system filled with tractor supply fluid when I put it together about 5 years ago. Then I filled it with the kubota super udt2 so the implements I share between it and the L2501 don't contaminate the Kubota's system. Also flushed all the associated cylinders and lines on the implements.

Still I learn from the discussions and price of a 5gallon pail was well worth it.
Thanks for sharing the knowledge Guys!

Bill

Reactions: 2 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I recognize Time Of Flight but my lab only uses inert gas fusion with infrared absorption technology.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
That is exactly what you get in a VOA or UOA from people like Blackstone. A VOA gives you the starting conditions for any specific oil and the UOA lets you evaluate how well it is holding up in service and what an appropriate OCI for the application is.

But lubricating oil is not specified or tested by formulary. Lubricating oil is specified and tested for conformance by physical performance metrics. The specific chemistry used to get a specific performance can and does vary all over the map. You might get a rough idea of how an oil will perform based on the formulary but until you run it through the performance tests you don't actually know.

The table below is the most exhaustive list of performance requirements I have been able to find for SUDT.

View attachment 88232

For the most part those are industry standard tests applicable to any lubricating oil. The metrics and the motivation underlying them is discussed in Kubotas development report.

You really need to read that SAE copyright protected document to understand what they were looking for from the new formulation. I am a researcher by trade and I always want the best data possible so I purchased a copy. That blurb GreensvilleJay didn't like is their public summary and I posted it here along with a lot of other stuff I don't exactly recall. So since this thread has arisen from the dead I have also attached another laundered version of the original document that I personally authored. I doubt the SAE would even notice let alone come after me if I posted the actual 30 year old paper but better to play nice. Finally here is the Cliff Notes version for the PDF challenged:

Kubota set out to improve UDT in three specific aspects:
  1. They wanted to improve low temperature flow and pumpability. That is refelected in the viscosity data I have provided. They had their own in house hydraulic pumping test which is simple and easily duplicated. They pumped really cold oil through a filter and measured the length of time it took for the oil to warm and attain a minimum flow rate. This is all about viscosity which was a challenge in 1998 but not today. Even today standard formulations of UTTO cannot pass this test.
  2. They wanted to improve water tolerance. The oil had to be able to absorb 1% by volume water without the formation of sludge, emulsions, or additive dropout - all things that will poison an HST transmission. The test for that was a simple bench test where a measured volume of water and the oil sample were combined in a beaker, agitated, and allowed to rest. It was then filtered and any residue collected was weighed to determine pass/fail. There were some other very standard and unexceptional tests for rust and corrosion prevention that are in line with what you would get from any quality UTTO but again standard formulations cannot pass the filtration test.
  3. They wanted to improve wet brake and clutch performance. A slightly modified SAE #2 friction test stand is used to measure the frictional stability of the wet brake and clutch linings across repeated controlled applications. The % loss in friction coefficient is the pass/fail criteria. If it passes that phase the final test is to actually put the oil in a tractor and operate it looking for any noticeable squawk or chatter. Final pass/fail is a subjective judgement by the test operator.

Number 3 is not particularly interesting. You will know right away if the wet brakes/clutches in your tractor squawk. chatter, or fade under use. All UTTOs make very expansive claims about their performance in this regard,

Numbers 1 and 2 however are challenging requirements - SUDT has exceptional viscosity properties and tolerance for water. So much so that with only a few exceptions other UTTOs cannot pass those two tests. Case and Deere have essentially equivalent oils and at similar price points, You won't find anything a NAPA or Orschlins that can match any of those three oils.

Thats all the magic there is in that SUDT pail.

Dan
Dan - I very much appreciate the generosity you show here in sharing both information not commonly available as well as your own expertise.

Given that we are "north of the border" and only have access to Premium UDT, how does it stack up, qualitatively, against S-UDT? I know you posted earlier in the thread a small snippet of comparison specs. Given the depths to which you've delved in this investigation I'm wondering if you might share your perspectives on the comparative qualities of these two oils?

One of the reasons I ask is because I live not far from the US boarder and I'm sure a trip into northern NY state is in the cards in the future. Is it worthwhile considering purchasing S-UDT there? Worthwhile in terms of performance - cost really isn't a concern. Not because I'm rich, but because I'm cheap and don't want to incur any additional maintenance costs in my fleet as a result of having tried to cheap out on oil.

Thanks for your well-considered response and your patience in providing it.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan - I very much appreciate the generosity you show here in sharing both information not commonly available as well as your own expertise.

Given that we are "north of the border" and only have access to Premium UDT, how does it stack up, qualitatively, against S-UDT? I know you posted earlier in the thread a small snippet of comparison specs. Given the depths to which you've delved in this investigation I'm wondering if you might share your perspectives on the comparative qualities of these two oils?

One of the reasons I ask is because I live not far from the US boarder and I'm sure a trip into northern NY state is in the cards in the future. Is it worthwhile considering purchasing S-UDT there? Worthwhile in terms of performance - cost really isn't a concern. Not because I'm rich, but because I'm cheap and don't want to incur any additional maintenance costs in my fleet as a result of having tried to cheap out on oil.

Thanks for your well-considered response and your patience in providing it.
Thank you for the kind words and your invitation to offer my thoughts before the illustrious firing squad gathered here. ;)

Let me emphasize - I am not an expert on these matters. I am by nature inquisitive and want to know the scientific inner working of everything that crosses my path. I can and do read technical stuff for both fun and profit - much of which is over my pay grade - with the goal of coming away with a working understanding of the basics. Professionally and personally I consider myself a jack of many trades and master of none. So here goes.

Short answer is - in the areas documented by Kubota SUDT2 outperforms almost every UTTO on the market There are only a couple other OEM formulations with the same characteristics and they are no less expensive. If you want the BEST performance you can get you want one of those formulations.

Now putting on my professional hat as a standards and conformance testing guy that does not mean all of the other formulations are unsuitable for use. Kubota was quite clear about the specific improvements to UDT they obtained with the new and improved SUDT formulation
  • First and foremost is its viscosity. It's a slightly lighter oil with a very high viscosity index and it pumps easier and faster at cold/ambient temperatures. This means it gets to moving parts faster and the ASSUMPTION implicit in that is that reduces wear. That is a reasonable assumption but Kubota offers no actual comparative wear test numbers and makes no comparitive claims beyond the typical marketing hype. Its very much like the debate over 5W40 versus 15W40 engine oil, There are lots of people here that insist 15W40 conventional oil is fine becuse they live in warm climates/ use block heaters/garage the machine/etc and they change their oil on a regular basis so they don't need the improved ambient viscosity and extended service life of a synthetic. There is another camp (that includes me) that believes a 5W40 synthetic is worth the added cost because it works better in all conditions and will extend engine life even if just marginally in all conditions.
  • Secondly the SUDT formulation can absorb (is that the correct term Andy?) and hold 1% water making it less likely to corrode parts and form sludge and emulsions that could clog filters and degrade the operation or even damage the hydraulic mechanisms. This could also be viewed as a service life issue that can be addressed with regualar oil condition monitoring and if needed a reduced OCI.
  • Lastly the formulation has an improved (and undoubtedly more expensive) friction modifier additive package. They document the improved brake/clutch performance in the presence of water and the service life improvement it demonstrates over conventional UDT and ONE anonymous competetiors party oil. The perfomance improvements UDT vs SUDT are real - the competitive advantages over competitors oils is pretty nebulous. Bottom line is its main advantage is an extended service live.
I will close with the boiler plate transmission oil reccomendation Kubota puts in all of the new owners manuals:

1665321892107.png

If you want an "enhanced ownership experience" use SUDT2 rather than a standard UTTO. Thats cool, It does not say you CANNOT use a standard UTTO just that you won't get that enhaced ownership experience. And because the know thay can't justify it they do not say using a standard hydrauilc/transmssion oil will harm your machine or void your warranty.. It goes on to say using UDT is "permitted". UDT is nothing more than a standard UTTO - get my drift?

Personally I use SUDT2 and Rotella 5W40 synthetic diesel oil because I want the best oil I can put in my new 25K machine and I have seen and read enough to know that both are unquestionably better than even the top end conventional formulations. If I could not get them I would have no concerns about using UDT or any top end equivalents in the new machine. I would not be using the Travellers Premium UTTO and Valvoline conventional 10W30 I feed to the old B7200DT.

Thats all I have to share and I am now prepared to face my fate - ready, aim, fire....

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
$7/ quart is expensive?!? Compared to the motor oils I use in all the vehicles, it's not bad at all.
Good point. When I needed it though, I couldn't get it, even if it were $5 a quart! It is good to find an alternate in the case that you need it and can't get it. In the end I found the Mystic equivalent and it was pretty much the same price as the Kubota SUDT. I now have a jug of it just in case I need some.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Good point. When I needed it though, I couldn't get it, even if it were $5 a quart! It is good to find an alternate in the case that you need it and can't get it. In the end I found the Mystic equivalent and it was pretty much the same price as the Kubota SUDT. I now have a jug of it just in case I need some.
Which Mystik and why do you think its any closer to SUDT2 than any other common UTTO? The product I see around here is the conventional formulation and very run of the mill. The Brookfield viscosity (ASTM D2983) of the synthetic blend is a getting close to SUDT but I have never seen that product for sale anywhere including online. They both claim UDT and J20C equivalency - not SUDT or J20D.

1665331345669.png

1665329361474.png

1665331164575.png

1665329494932.png

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Which Mystik and why do you think its any closer to SUDT2 than any other common UTTO? The product I see around here is the conventional formulation and very run of the mill. The Brookfield viscosity (ASTM D2983) of the synthetic blend is a getting close to SUDT but I have never seen that product for sale anywhere including online. They both claim UDT and J20C equivalency - not SUDT or J20D.
This thread

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
This thread

I am familiar with that locked thread. Really long and loaded with "numbers".

Dan

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
The important part was that Mystic JT5 can work in a pinch if you need fluid and can't get UDT2. I confirmed it with the service guys at my Kubota Dealer. The ones listed as to NOT use was also confirmed. They do use analysis to determine fluid used in warranty claims, and would not have an issue with JT5, but the other ones would cause a warranty denial. Now that I can get the jugs of UDT2, I will be doing a fluid swap in the spring before I put the tractor to use to replace the mix that is in it now.

With an additional 20 hours on since having to add fluid after changing filters, the HST has been 100%, no change in performance or sound.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The important part was that Mystic JT5 can work in a pinch if you need fluid and can't get UDT2. I confirmed it with the service guys at my Kubota Dealer. The ones listed as to NOT use was also confirmed. They do use analysis to determine fluid used in warranty claims, and would not have an issue with JT5, but the other ones would cause a warranty denial. Now that I can get the jugs of UDT2, I will be doing a fluid swap in the spring before I put the tractor to use to replace the mix that is in it now.

With an additional 20 hours on since having to add fluid after changing filters, the HST has been 100%, no change in performance or sound.
The important part is there are no numbers or data in that thread just an opinion.

The things listed as unacceptable consist of two lines:

• "Any 303 fluid" and I would agree 100%
  • "Most universl fluids" which I consider pure hogwash
Universal Tractor Transmission Fluid is the industry name used for all of these oils. The word universal simply signifies the oil is a multipurpose fluid. To wit:

There are many different drive-train oils recommended for off-highway equipment. Consolidating to the fewest number of fluids can be a daunting task, especially if the fleet has many different makes and models. Fortunately, many manufacturers now recommend the use of multi-purpose tractor hydraulic fluids for differentials, wet brakes, power take-off systems, hydraulics, and power-shift transmissions. These oils, also known as universal tractor fluids (UTF), are high-performance, multi-purpose lubricants engineered to meet or exceed transmission, differential, and hydraulic fluid lubrication requirements. The combination of select base oils with high-performance additives delivers the performance properties required in diverse, severe-duty hydraulic and drive train applications. These multi-purpose fluids definitely help to reduce the number of lubricants required in the shop. Let’s take a closer look at these amazing oils.

The market is flooded with different brands of these "amazing" oils:

Universal Dynamic Tractor Oil (UDT for short) is Kubota's version.
Hygard is John Deere's version
Permatran is International Harvesters version
HyTran is one of CNH's many versions
JT5 is Chevron's economy version
THF 1000 is Chevron's premium version
Mobilfluid 428/424 is Exon/Mobil's version
Delvac THF is another premium offering from Mobil
W720 Unversal Tractor Fluid is Valvoline's version
Rotella HD Universal Tractor Fluid is Shell's version
Castrol Universal Tractor Fluid is Castrol's version
Lucas Universal Tractor Transmssion Fluid is Lucas' version
Gulf Universal Tractor Fluid is Gulf's version
Sinclair Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid is Sinclair's version
Master Mechanic Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid is a Citgo version
Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Transmssion Fluid is TSC's house brand
NAPA has a house brand
Advance Auto has a house brand
Menards has a house brand

The list goes on and on. There are MANY acceptable brands of universal tractor transmssion fluid. And just like engine oil some brands are better then others but they ALL do the basic job. So please - lets put this "universal" crap to bed.

I am using nothing but SUDT2 in the new L3901 HST and the slightly older G series but if I was in a pinch and absolutely had to have a quart or two to top off I would not hesitate to use the Traveller's that I use in the B72000DT and old Fords.

Dan