The new tractor hauler

Morley

Equipment
LX2610, LA535 loader, Kodiak 5" Rotary Mower,
Apr 22, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Well after 127 days of patiently waiting, I got my custom ordered 2021 Silverado RST 4x4 crew cab, 3.0L duramax. I love this truck! First 700km was all highway and I was getting 6.9l/100k or 34 miles per freedoms.... first thing I towed with it was a green machine d140 because it was easier to grab that from the farm than it was to grab the BX. Today was my first day of running around town and doing truck things and it’s sitting around 9.5l/100k. I added the leather package with heated seats and steering wheel, remote start, the manual tow mirrors, a hard tonneau cover, spray in bed liner, and the upgraded rubber floor mat package.

View attachment 64132
Nice Truck. Waiting times are atrocious. I ordered a RAM (similarly equipped but with a 5.7 hemi) on March 16, 2021. Got a phone call from the dealer yesterday and they finally have a "build" order for it. It should arrive about mid Sept. ! Now I wish I had ordered "white".

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I went by the Chevy dealership we’ve gotten 12? new vehicles from Friday, and it looked like 4 or 5 new pickups on the lot. Been a long time since they had any new ones.

Betting they’re all sold. See if they’re there Monday after work…..

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A friend in Hawaii recently ordered a new F350 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat 6.7L with the Tremor offroad package and many extras for $82K. He got an email from Ford telling him that the VIN had been assigned, the truck was built and on a train. He then heard that a train transporting Ford trucks derailed so is trying to find out if his truck was on the train. If it's not one thing it's another!! :rolleyes:

I told him that it was karma for trying to delete the carpet and having it replaced with the vinyl floor option. It's a work truck so he doesn't want carpet but he wants all of the Lariat features.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
A friend in Hawaii recently ordered a new F350 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat 6.7L with the Tremor offroad package and many extras for $82K. He got an email from Ford telling him that the VIN had been assigned, the truck was built and on a train. He then heard that a train transporting Ford trucks derailed so is trying to find out if his truck was on the train. If it's not one thing it's another!! :rolleyes:

I told him that it was karma for trying to delete the carpet and having it replaced with the vinyl floor option. It's a work truck so he doesn't want carpet but he wants all of the Lariat features.
my last truck (2013 F150) was a work truck. Thats what i wanted in the GM however they dont offer the duramax until you get the middle trim models. Hunting, having a dog, playing in the mud, etc having no carpet was awesome.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Unfortunately it does have the lowest tow rating in its class at 9300lbs. however; that suits me as my largest trailer (my camper) comes in at around 8000 full of food, beer, and water, leaving me 1300lbs of available passenger/cargo weight. My flat deck maxes out at 7000. This my first ever new truck, my wife had a couple in the past. Usually I try to find something coming off a lease, or a low km used one. This was a good year for us, so we figured I would custom order exactly what I wanted and then drive it till i retire. if i didnt have a 200km daily commute, I would have a super duty diesel. My plan is to drive this to either 300,000km or trade in on a 2500/250 diesel once I retire.

plus, its a duramax and i have been waiting for ever for GM to to give us a diesel in a 1/2 ton lol
I got the F250 6.7L diesel in 2018, love it. I am getting 22 mpg on the highway if I am careful with the throttle And sit below 70 mph (No tow). I don’t have a commute.

Very nice truck you have there, looks great. Glad you were able to pick it up this year.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I bought a diesel in 2013. Ford. 7.3. It was 10 years old at the time and had just under 100,000 miles on it. Fine with me. I'm familiar with the engine and the truck so I couldn't pass it up as a straight trade for my old truck which had IIRC 371,000 miles on it.

It tows ok.

BUT what I learned about owning diesel is that everything you do costs more. Sure I get somewhere in the vicinity of 19 mpg average with it with no load on it, and yes it's supposedly "bulletproof". However that all pales when it comes to repairs. The first 100k that I owned it, zero issues. Not even brakes. 2 sets of tires oh and by the way most diesel pickups eat tires (weight?). I rarely get more than 30,000 mi out of a set, and it's over $1000 for a set now. I did regular maintenance more often than I probably should have but I know they're expensive to fix so I keep up with it.

It currently has 240,000 miles on it, well almost. Close enough. I still drive it.

At 220k I noticed that the coolant bottle smelled of diesel fuel. Injector cups leaking. I simply don't have the time to fix it myself so I called a shop across town, I know the owner really well and we do some horse trading a few times a year. $2750 to do cups and majority of it is labor, the cups are like $200 for a set of 8. Then 8 gallons of coolant, 5 gallons of oil, gaskets, o-rings, etc. Injectors are getting weak, so I priced those too. All told, for cups, o-rings, and injectors I'll be well over $6000. Keep in mind, these are wear items meaning it'll have to be done again at some point.

That's not to mention that every oil change is over $200. The fuel costs $.50 more per gallon than 87 octane gas. That's starting to narrow up a little now that gas is up around $3.00/gal. The air filter is $60 (aftermarket) thankfully it don't have to be done very often. Transmission service $250, every 30,000 miles or so. Two diffs to change fluid in. Transfer case. Of course those don't add up to much, but everything costs more nowadays and my pay hasn't increased proportionally, and I think I share this with many.

So with just the repairs, it'll cost more than the truck is worth. Not counting maintenance.

--And I don't have DPF or DEF to deal with.

Shop truck at work is a durmax but a 3/4 ton 6.6. They just had to replace the def tank as it was leaking, and it was $3700 for part + labor (dealer). DEF is a maintenance cost that must be figured in to your fuel. Sure you might get nice fuel mileage but add in the cost of def to the fuel over however many miles you get out of a tank of def and while the MPG is impressive, the cost per mile isn't any better than a modern 1/2 ton gas burner. Perhaps that's why all the UPS and FEDEX local delivery trucks are gas burners here. I mean if any company has costs figured out, they should and with them switching back to gasoline, it tells me a lot.

Reactions: 1 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I bought a diesel in 2013. Ford. 7.3. It was 10 years old at the time and had just under 100,000 miles on it. Fine with me. I'm familiar with the engine and the truck so I couldn't pass it up as a straight trade for my old truck which had IIRC 371,000 miles on it.

It tows ok.

BUT what I learned about owning diesel is that everything you do costs more. Sure I get somewhere in the vicinity of 19 mpg average with it with no load on it, and yes it's supposedly "bulletproof". However that all pales when it comes to repairs. The first 100k that I owned it, zero issues. Not even brakes. 2 sets of tires oh and by the way most diesel pickups eat tires (weight?). I rarely get more than 30,000 mi out of a set, and it's over $1000 for a set now. I did regular maintenance more often than I probably should have but I know they're expensive to fix so I keep up with it.

When i had my ram eco diesel, the oil changes were almost $400cdn, because you couldnt get the oil and filter anywhere but the dealer. The duramax, takes a standard 0-20 synthetic so i can get an oil change for under $100. You are spot on about repairs on a diesel, im lucky i can do most of my own repairs when the time comes.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The first 100k that I owned it, zero issues.

At 220k I noticed ...
Do the math on a new truck and include monthly payments, depreciation, added insurance, fuel cost, tire wear etc., and compare it to the cost of ownership for your current 7.3L. I bet you're still ahead ... way ahead. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to have a new F350 6.7L, but handing over $1,000+ per month for that privilege isn't appealing.

I would add that it's irrelevant that the repairs cost more than the truck is worth since it's the cost of a reliable replacement that's able to do the same job that matters.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You're right. I have no plans to get rid of it, however if someone offered me a good trade I would consider it. But only if it was a gas burner. Good trade meaning no payments and no boot. Fat chance of that happening so I'll keep this one until I'm dead or it's too expensive to fix.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Do the math on a new truck and include monthly payments, depreciation, added insurance, fuel cost, tire wear etc., and compare it to the cost of ownership for your current 7.3L. I bet you're still ahead ... way ahead. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to have a new F350 6.7L, but handing over $1,000+ per month for that privilege isn't appealing.

I would add that it's irrelevant that the repairs cost more than the truck is worth since it's the cost of a reliable replacement that's able to do the same job that matters.

you forgot to add that "new truck smell" to the list.. haha

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
you forgot to add that "new truck smell" to the list.. haha
I haven't had that in years. ☹ I have a '98 Jeep TJ I've had for over 20 years and an '02 F250 7.3L I've had for about three years that I bought from a friend who bought it new in '02. Hey, maybe the new MX tractor will have a "new truck smell" in the cab. I live in hope.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
So aug 2nd was my trucks birthday.. (technically my gotcha day to use the term thats common for animals)... the dealership actually sent me a happy 1yr with my truck card.

Happy to report that at 44,000km and 1 year later, I still love this truck. best ever fuel economy i got was 6.6L/100k the lifetime average for the truck is 10.1L/100k (sorry to my US friends you have to do some math). Even hauling my tractor and a bunch of implements, roughly 6000lbs it still just sips the fuel on the highway!!!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've had the opportunity to tow the mini with a 2020 (I think) GMC3500 dually (cab/Chassis) 6.6 and allison. That thing is a towing beast. I figure that there is every bit of 12K plus a load of stone behind the truck and it walks hills like that load is nothing at all. Great mirrors as well.

Now, the bad. The seating position in that truck is god-awful. I feel like I'm sitting on the floor and have to peer over the high hood in order to drive. It's pathetically uncomfortable. The second issue is that right out of the gate (brand new truck) the stupid fuel transfer pump wouldn't work. The rear tank is 40 gallons I believe with the front tank holding approx 23 gallons. The truck runs off of the front tank only. It took the dealer 3 attempts to finally fix the transfer pump so it would work as intended. The sickening thing about this is that GM hasn't gotten this issue right in over 20 years. I had the same issue with my 2000 GMC 3500 HD. One would think (or hope) that this issue wouldn't take 20 years to correct?