The dirtiest post I've ever made on OTT

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Not really...most of the Federal programs are administrated by the States. Once the State is granted regulatory Act authority... the primary requirement is the State requirements MUST be at least as stringent as the Fed regs... when the states make or have made their regs more stringent in almost all cases it will end up in the courts for years... enough for the current party to be voted out of office.... been that way since mid seventies

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
I hate to be too much in your business, but what does a liner that size cost? I've thought once we move I would like to add a pond myself.

jay

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
You never know what you're gonna learn at OTT. Thanks, Butch!
I spent 30 years applying real world science to the following these jurisdictions for both sides as a consultant. Solid Waste Act (mostly RCRA Haz Waste), Clean Water, Clean Air, DOT Haz Material Regs, Federal Motor Carrier regs, and TSCA (mostly PCB's)... Most of these regs go way to far and don't do anything except act as cash cows in fines and judgement...

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
I hate to be too much in your business, but what does a liner that size cost? I've thought once we move I would like to add a pond myself. jay
Hey Jay2, I don't mind at all. Usually these 36 mil liners will run around $1/sq ft. I will be using two of 130x45 liners (around $6k each with tax.) However, I do some landscaping work as part of a tractor business (www.bozhog.com) and I occasionally get amazing deals from an oil field supply company near me. They were closing out these liners so I got seven of them for $750 each. I sold the five of them for around $1750 each on Craigslist. That's what an economists might call a bit of market non-equilibrium. ;)

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a neighbor who took a skid steer and built a pond. Ripped out a terrace that had been there over 50 years to get water to drain into in. The neighbor on the pond's other side complained because of drainage problems.

We both (neighbors) talked to a Soil Conservation Technician with the US Dept of Ag, Natural Resources Conservation Service. He came out and looked at the pond and said it wasn't right, but he couldn't do anything about it!

I eventually got with the far neighbor and helped him open up his terrace to flow better. A few months after the mess was made the homeowner put the house on the market. I told everyone that I saw looking at the property the problem with the pond. When it was purchase, I knew the buyers and offered to fix the problem. Took about half hour to fix,

I was surprised the Conservation Service had no power, or desire to remedy the problem.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
It's so easy to have those situations where one man's solution is another man's new problem! Fortunately, my only neighbor near or downhill from me is a large lake. I only have about 3.5 acres of watershed feeding into my pond and not a ton of annual rainfall so whatever I get in my pond I have to keep as much of as possible. It'll be good to have a liner such that the only water I lose I at least know will be from evaporation for all practical purposes.

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
This is a useful post -
Here in NY had the DEC (department of Environmental Conservation) come out to do a survey for a pond... only because we have a section of land that is "wetlands". They said I could do anything anywhere with impunity... as long as it was outside the ring of pink surveyors tape denoting the wetland... anything inside that ring of pink - "we gonna getcha".

The challenge has been - Where I want a nice size pond, the area get lots of water, runoff from the house and barn, but it's all sandy and drains pretty quickly. I had no idea they make liners so big. Now I have to go learn about that!!!