The day I almost died on my Kubota...

OldMasterTech

Equipment
KX057-4, KX121-3, L4630GST, RTV1100, AT60, T1700, T1560, 555E
Mar 28, 2011
Massachusetts
No sermon here either.
I used to subscribe to Northern Logger magazine and each month the first page I read was the accident listings. Even though gory and sometimes horrible the info makes you think every time you use your equipment.
Stay safe and thanks for the post!

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I echo what everyone else has said. God bless.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
Glad you are okay and able to post a reminder to us all!

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks for taking the time to post your story. I purchased a craigslist spreader recently and the shaft was stuck and wouldn't expand. We pulled it apart with two vehicles and I removed the cover. Because I was in a hurry I didn't put the cover back on and we used it all day long. Your scenario never crossed my mind. I will never operate the PTO without a cover again. Thanks and I'm glad you're OK.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Glad you weren't hurt any worse.

When I first went to work at the quarry our area manager only had one thumb. I ask him what happened. He said when he was a teen he was using a 8n ford with rotary cutter. A sack he was sitting on worked it's way off the back of the seat and started wrapping around the shaft. He grabbed it and it wrapped his hand up until it twisted his thumb off.

One simple mistake with a life long reminder of what not to do.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Regarding how the loss of the thumb occurred..... on one of the automotive metalworking/rebuild shows, a worker had gloves on (standard generic safety recommendation) while using a drill press.

The glove caught on the rotating bit and the glove proceeded to pull his hand in to the bit causing a deep wound.....

In this case the generic "always wear gloves" is a dangerous recommendation when working around rotating machinery.

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
I got into the job market starting with what ended up being 20 years on the floor in precision sheetmetal fabrication. I ended up writing N/C code after the first 5, but those 5 years were an education.

OSHA wanted to require using a pair of pliers to bend parts in a pressbrake. If you missed your stop, the pliers would end up broken in half by the tooling, flying who knows where, and the V-dies would be destroyed. That idea was laughed out of the shop, with management support.

One of the cardinal rules that was hammered into my 18 year old head was...
do NOT approach anyone operating a machine until you knew positively they were aware of your presence and acknowledged it back to you.

Stay away until you were sure you caught their eye, no touching, shoulder tapping or not even a word. It's amazing how much concentration is needed when doing fine work around a machine, and newbies who ignored the above warnings would make me jump right out of my skin.

This was brought home by the pressbrake foreman who had lost the tip of a forefinger on one hand, and the tip of his middle finger on the other.

This can apply to any power equipment, tractors, mowers, anything with an engine or enough power to injure. Teach your kids and young relatives early and much grief can be saved.

pmr49

Dec 13, 2012
Renton, WA
I join the others in thanking you for the warning and being humble enough to do so. Bad things can happen in a flash even without our contribution of carelessness. My lifetime close call takeaways are these: don't push yourself too hard, especially when the temps are hot - you lose your edge; similarly, stay hydrated, even in cool/cold weather; there are guardian angels, but "don't put God to the test" - use the brain He gave you!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Every time I got on a tractor as a kid my dad would say something like "you know that tractor has nothing to do but sit around and think up new ways to kill you. Be careful"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LMTractorGuy

Equipment
L2501HST, LA525, RCR1260, BB1260, Titan 48" SS Forks, Stump Bucket
Sep 20, 2016
SC
I am new to tractors. I appreciate your story and am glad you are OK. I is so important that we are mindful of safe operation and stories such as yours allow us to think of possible scenarios before using useful but potentially dangerous machinery. Thanks for sharing.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
In my much younger years I worked underground in the mines in my local area as a diamond drill (core drill) helper we would routinely have 15'-20' of open drill rod spinning at 500-1250 rpm before it would be up 2500' into the rock. One day I was told to crawl under the rod and apparently I wasn't low enough the open rod grabbed my shirt and made a tug I ended up pancaking out and dropped to the deck all the while my shirt was pealed off of me like a banana :eek: Scared the crap out of me.

I quickly gained a great respect of spinning things

No judgment from me we all make mistakes. I am glad you are ok enough to think about us and give everyone a reminder wake up call.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Last week here in Maine a grandfather was watching his grandson who was 2yrs old. He was using his tractor around a wood pile off and on making sure his grandson was out of the way when he would move the tractor. Well. He thought his grandson was on a trailer out of the way when he moved the tractor backing over him killing him. I have kids and I don't move my tractor at all unless I can see my kids and where they are. I've told them if your outside. Make sure I CAN see you. Don't think I can. Be sure I can. Teaching comes early. But at 2 yrs old teaching/learning takes time.
As with the paracord . Accidents happens quickly. I've often thought about throwing that PTO cover as it seems like a PIA....I might just leave it on now.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm glad you made it ok. That's some scary stuff :eek:

I've had a couple close calls bush hogging at my father in laws. The hill is extremely steep and over grown in spots. With Oaks that like to shed limbs. I learned really quick, to take a half hour and walk the hill before hitting it with the tractor.

I've found hidden chunks of oak limbs that could easily tip the tractor. Washed out spots, or someone dug a good sized rock out and tossed it down the bank. All gets moved or avoided :D

Another thing to watch out for is vines. I had one snag me in the throat while hogging in a new spot. Thankfully I was going extremely slow. Was able to stop, and move it.

And after seeing your experience, that un shielded pto shaft for my rotary cutter is gonna be replaced ;) That could have easily been really ugly with that vine if it got snagged into the pto shaft :eek: