Test driving

tsperry88

Apr 26, 2021
Virginia, USA
How does test driving work? Do dealers usually have demo machines, or do the machines sitting on the lot for purchase get driven? I'm interested I an LX2610, but last time I was at my dealer, every one has been pre sold before the dealer even had them in hand. The only one he could show me was partially crated. I feel bad wasting another dealers time for a test drive, knowing I likely will buy from my local dealer.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
It's your money! Play one dealer against the other to get your best deal In the end you're the one that needs to be happy.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Play all the games you want, but if you buy from the dealer an hour away and you expect the one right down the road to fix it, be prepared to get put on the bottom of the stack of work orders. Dealers prioritize their direct customers and get to the walkups as their schedule allows. To me, being on the top of the pile is worth paying a few extra bucks for the tractor initially.

Reactions: 4 users

tsperry88

Apr 26, 2021
Virginia, USA
I have prices from 3 dealers, and my dealer 20 minutes from me actually has the best price. He just cant offer me a test drive since he doesn't have a machine. I guess I'm mostly just curious if dealers demo the actual machines that are for sale, or if they usually have demo units?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have prices from 3 dealers, and my dealer 20 minutes from me actually has the best price. He just cant offer me a test drive since he doesn't have a machine. I guess I'm mostly just curious if dealers demo the actual machines that are for sale, or if they usually have demo units?
It's been many years, but I stopped at same dealership twice and he freely offered a drive of one on the lot.

I did finally buy one years later from there.

Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It is important to see and try out a model before you buy it. You might hate the seat or treadle pedal. Dealers let you try out anything they have that is not already sold. Price is not the only important thing. It is expected for people to come out and look in person. Their job as far as Kubota is concerned is to sell a Kubota. Dealers often trade stock around, so you may be able to buy that actual unit through your preferred dealer once you are sure you know what you want. Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: 1 users

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
My dealer had two different L tractors ready for me to demo when I showed up. Then he made arrangements for me to see an MX at a sister store. When I told him I liked the MX. He had it sent over to demo. It turned out to be the one I bought

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Don’t feel bad about it.. if they don’t have a demo just go demo wherever you have to. You’re planning on spending a lot of money.. demo elsewhere and buy local.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Didn't test drive mine, but when I dropped it off for a third function install , there was another guy test-driving.

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
I've purchased three Kubota tractors and in each case, the dealer let me drive it around a bit. I don't know how that would have gone if all the tractors on the lot were spoken for.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Emailed the dealer and was told they would work on uncrating one to test drive. Turns out it wasn't an issue.
They have to uncrate them anyway sometime to sell them. You may want to jump on it quickly once you test it - the guy after you might buy it.

vanhanz

Equipment
Kubota L3301 HST, Hustler SD60, Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans 4x4
Aug 1, 2018
GA
Play all the games you want, but if you buy from the dealer an hour away and you expect the one right down the road to fix it, be prepared to get put on the bottom of the stack of work orders. Dealers prioritize their direct customers and get to the walkups as their schedule allows. To me, being on the top of the pile is worth paying a few extra bucks for the tractor initially.
Not sure if thats how it works around here, I always go to the dealer I bought from and the last time it took a month and a half for a half-day fix. It may be that they are extremely high volume in a growing area too. They sell to a lot of fleets so I imagine they will always get priority. I'd opt for somewhere not so busy next time.

Reactions: 1 user

sn0wman72

Nov 16, 2019
Plain, WA
Hmmm, my dealer set up a test drive with tractors that were on the lot. I assume the minimal "hours" on these tractors were part of the purchase for the eventual owners of the tractors.

Personally I would always go with the dealer that deliver on service after the sale, and that might not be the one that has the lowest sales price

tsperry88

Apr 26, 2021
Virginia, USA
Hmmm, my dealer set up a test drive with tractors that were on the lot. I assume the minimal "hours" on these tractors were part of the purchase for the eventual owners of the tractors.

Personally I would always go with the dealer that deliver on service after the sale, and that might not be the one that has the lowest sales price
Every dealer around here has the popular tractors sold before they even arrive. I guess if I had paid for a tractor, waited a number of months, and then the dealer was letting other people drive it around the lot, it would bug me. It appears though that it works that way.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Every dealer around here has the popular tractors sold before they even arrive. I guess if I had paid for a tractor, waited a number of months, and then the dealer was letting other people drive it around the lot, it would bug me. It appears though that it works that way.
Not sure about now, but when I was trying out B2650s at 3 dealerships to find the quietest one, they were not sold yet.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
How much variation in hst noise did you notice? I have actually heard more complaints about noise on the 2650/LX
Considerable, some were quieter and less jerky, but it is the cab reverberating for the noise. I ended up taking one in a crate but they installed some material in the cab to help muffle it. Part of it may go away with break in, I have been mean ing to add some of the sound deadening baffles in the roof of the cab, but I have gotten used to it and wear worktunes ear muffs.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Ahhh the good old days. I bought my first new tractor (a New Holland 1620) in 1996 I had a JD, a Kubota and the NH dropped off at the parents house for the weekend to demo (I was a kid at the time). No cost at all including drop off and pickup.

I was really glad I did because based on the brochures I was pre-sold on the JD; but before the weekend was over the NH won out. Even with a full weekend with them I felt like I was rushed on the decision and I did a LOT of testing. On the following Monday, I made three calls, two to come get it and one to send out the paperwork, which back then with a loan took a full week. Today they can do it in minutes over the phone.

When I purchased the Kubota at the end of 19, I asked for a demo to be dropped off and the guy about laughed me off the phone. Fortunately, there was stock around so I was able to "test" one at the dealer. How times change.